Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
(Before you ask, check my profile)
I posted this on the culture section earlier, but nobody goes there, ever. I have been going around correcting things in Korean language discussions, and turns out, people appreciate them thanks to the sheer number of people who do taekwondo on the forum. Yeah... So ask me stuff about the Korean language including taekwondo vocab. Thanks.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have so many questions! I'll start with just a few:

What's the difference between Dwi-kkumchi 뒤꿈치 and Dwi-chuk 뒤축 ? I take it they're different parts of the heel?

At our school we call a back hook kick a Hwe Chuk, which I guess means an arcing heel? Why is the "heel" part of that just "chuk". When you use the word "chuk" alone would people know that that means heel?

At our school we call a jump back hook kick a Jugo Hwe Chuk. Previously on this board someday alluded to the fact that Jugo is a conjugation of a verb that means "to gain momentum by swinging". To me this seems like a really obscure way to name that kick; is it?

Is there a word for the back-side of the knee?

What's the difference between Son-mok 손목 and Pal-mok 팔목 ? Are they different areas of the wrist?

What's the difference between Pal-kup 팔굽 and Pal-kkumchi 팔꿈치 ?

Normally I hear a Long Front Stance called Ap Gubi 앞굽이 but I'm told an older term is something like "Ap Gubigi" (I don't know if I'm even romanizing that correctly.) I guess "Gubi" means something like "bent" or "flexible"...what the heck does Gubigi mean?

When describing a jumping kick, what's the difference between Twimyo and Ttwieo?

At our school we call a Jump Front Kick an Eedan Ap Chagi...again, this seems like an obscure way to name that kick; is it?

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have so many questions! I'll start with just a few:

What's the difference between Dwi-kkumchi 뒤꿈치 and Dwi-chuk 뒤축 ? I take it they're different parts of the heel?

At our school we call a back hook kick a Hwe Chuk, which I guess means an arcing heel? Why is the "heel" part of that just "chuk". When you use the word "chuk" alone would people know that that means heel?

At our school we call a jump back hook kick a Jugo Hwe Chuk. Previously on this board someday alluded to the fact that Jugo is a conjugation of a verb that means "to gain momentum by swinging". To me this seems like a really obscure way to name that kick; is it?

Is there a word for the back-side of the knee?

What's the difference between Son-mok 손목 and Pal-mok 팔목 ? Are they different areas of the wrist?

What's the difference between Pal-kup 팔굽 and Pal-kkumchi 팔꿈치 ?

Normally I hear a Long Front Stance called Ap Gubi 앞굽이 but I'm told an older term is something like "Ap Gubigi" (I don't know if I'm even romanizing that correctly.) I guess "Gubi" means something like "bent" or "flexible"...what the heck does Gubigi mean?

When describing a jumping kick, what's the difference between Twimyo and Ttwieo?

At our school we call a Jump Front Kick an Eedan Ap Chagi...again, this seems like an obscure way to name that kick; is it?
1) 뒤꿈치 means heel and 뒤축 refers to the ones on shoes
2) I don't know what you're trying to romanise or if it's even grammatically coherent, sorry.
3) 'jugo' means a conjunction form of 'to give.' So you're clearly telling me the wrong word.
4) can't find a scientific one yet, but most will say 무릅 안쪽
5) 팔굽 is an incorrect expression of 팔꿈치 according to the dictionary.
6) 굽이기 means bending or hunching.
7) I can't interpret that romanisation into anything.
8) 2단 means 'two levels.' I guess if you're raising the other leg it makes sense.

Hope I helped.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
General Choi use the word "Tul" to replace Hyung when referring to patterns. . Please explain the difference.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
General Choi use the word "Tul" to replace Hyung when referring to patterns. . Please explain the difference.
"형"(Hyung) means form, and I don't know what 'tul' is unless you can spell it out in Korean somehow, because it means nothing.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Template would likely be most fitting. How would you romanize it?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ㅡ is without a doubt one of the hardest vowel sounds for non-Koreans to reproduce. I've sat with my master and others and tried with coaching and advice, without much success. It's the same sound as in the middle of 'jireugi' and 'geuman', normally romanised as 'eu'.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(Before you ask, check my profile)
I posted this on the culture section earlier, but nobody goes there, ever. I have been going around correcting things in Korean language discussions, and turns out, people appreciate them thanks to the sheer number of people who do taekwondo on the forum. Yeah... So ask me stuff about the Korean language including taekwondo vocab. Thanks.

Thanks for letting us ask you. Can you tell why Korean has different phrases for everything? For example if say "How are you" wouldn't it be "잘 지냈어 요?"? But in Google translate it says "어떻게 지내?" Also, speaking of Taekwondo.... I learn that Reverse spinning hook kick is "Dweeryo Momdolyo Huryo Chagi" is that correct? Is there another term? Thanks man.

-Julian

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us ask you. Can you tell why Korean has different phrases for everything? For example if say "How are you" wouldn't it be "잘 지냈어 요?"? But in Google translate it says "어떻게 지내?" Also, speaking of Taekwondo.... I learn that Reverse spinning hook kick is "Dweeryo Momdolyo Huryo Chagi" is that correct? Is there another term? Thanks man.

-Julian
Let's break down 'reverse spinning hook kick.'
뒤로-to the back
몸돌려-turn body (accusative)
후려-whipping or hooking
차기-kicking

It's more a description of the move.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let's break down 'reverse spinning hook kick.'
뒤로-to the back
몸돌려-turn body (accusative)
후려-whipping or hooking
차기-kicking

It's more a description of the move.

Ohh okay thank you! [emoji4]

-Julian

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score

뛰어 차기
and

뛰며 차기

The first, ttwieo chagi is the term that can be found in Kukkiwon publications, while ttwimyeo is the term being used in General Choi's Taekwondo book.

I'm also wondering what the exact difference between the two terms is.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
뛰어 차기
and

뛰며 차기

The first, ttwieo chagi is the term that can be found in Kukkiwon publications, while ttwimyeo is the term being used in General Choi's Taekwondo book.

I'm also wondering what the exact difference between the two terms is.

뛰어차기 means 'jumping and kicking' and 뛰며차기 means 'kicking as you're jumping.'

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kang Tsai, you must promise to never leave MT so this can be a sticky LOL! :)

Latest Discussions