Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've read that while Rosetta Stone is great for teaching Western-Western languages (i.e. to teach an English speaker French, Spanish, or German) it doesn't work well for Korean. What's the best way for someone to learn Korean?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I found Rosetta Stone fairly useless for Korean. The grammar and structure is too different for learning easily from pictures (as an adult). I also tried Linguaphone many many years ago.

In terms of online things, I'd say maybe TalkToMeInKorean's YouTube series, books and MP3s.

I've been learning for about 3 years with tutors on iTalki.com and can't recommend them enough. You get private 1-1 video lessons over Skype with native speakers (either qualified teachers, or community teachers depending on how much you want to pay). I have nothing to do with their company, just a happy customer.

Sappipullo

White Belt
Reaction score
No idea if this thread is still alive, but I am stuck with two terms in Korean: sliding and stamping. Stamping motion ("goorugi dongjak") is in Toi Gye and sliding motion is in Hwa Rang. So I want to know the Hangul version.

If anyone is interested, I am working on a list of all ITF TKD color belt moves, stances, and tuls in Hangul, so I can use text-to-speech to practice my (TKD) Korean listening comprehension.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
No idea if this thread is still alive, but I am stuck with two terms in Korean: sliding and stamping. Stamping motion ("goorugi dongjak") is in Toi Gye and sliding motion is in Hwa Rang. So I want to know the Hangul version.

If anyone is interested, I am working on a list of all ITF TKD color belt moves, stances, and tuls in Hangul, so I can use text-to-speech to practice my (TKD) Korean listening comprehension.

Stamping motion = 구르기 동작
Sliding motion = maybe 미끄러지 동작 (미끄러지 means sliding/slipping, 동작 means movement/motion)

In Kukkiwon, we use "fast foot" 빨른 발 when we mean a sliding/fast skipping kick, so I'm not sure about ITF terminology.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What does Taekwondo mean in formal language to a Korean? (not just word for word)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tae = Foot or Kick
Kwon = Fist or Punch
Do = Way

Literally meaning the Way of the Foot and Fist. So the emphasis is on the Do or mental component, making use of the word 'Way' quite apt and accurate.
I am not aware of any differences in formal language.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought there was more subtlety to it than that, but that those are the simplistic translations. For example, the verb "to kick" in Korean is Chada (차다), and punch is Jireuda (지르다) and Taekwondo doesn't use those words.

I understood Tae to be closer to "to stamp and smash with the feet", Kwon to be "to destroy with the arms" and Do to be "a way of self improvement".

But I left it alone because @Acronym asked for "to a Korean", so I didn't want to jump in with my understanding, which may be incorrect and/or limited.

Latest Discussions