Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! If this becomes a sticky it'll cause a disaster if I don't have WiFi for more than two days.

Isn't there a name for the anxiety that lack of wifi causes lol, I was taking Guides this evening and we were planning a camping trip, then one realised there was no wifi in the field and said she couldn't possibly come camping after all, she's 13 and addicted to her I Pad.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't there a name for the anxiety that lack of wifi causes lol, I was taking Guides this evening and we were planning a camping trip, then one realised there was no wifi in the field and said she couldn't possibly come camping after all, she's 13 and addicted to her I Pad.
No I mean for the people who seek my help. I'm fine without Internet.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
뛰어차기 means 'jumping and kicking' and 뛰며차기 means 'kicking as you're jumping.'

Thanx! Then I guess that's why I've also seen:

몸돌려 차기 mom-dol-lyeo cha-gi
몸돌며 차기 mom-dol-myeo cha-gi

That would then mean 'turn your body and kick'
& 'kicking as you're turning your body', correct?

I learn that Reverse spinning hook kick is "Dweeryo Momdolyo Huryo Chagi" is that correct? Is there another term?

During my years in Taekwondo I came across quite a few terms for the spinning hook kick, but you could come up with different terms in English, too.

몸돌려 후려 차기 mom-dol-lyeo hu-ryeo cha-gi
body-turn-whip-kick

반대 돌려 차기 ban-dae dol-lyeo cha-gi
reverse-turn-kick

뒤후리기 dwi-hu-rigi
to the back/behind - whipping?

뒤돌려 차기 dwi-dol-lyeo cha-gi
to the back/behind - turning kick

회축 hoe-chuck
Whipping heel?

Maybe KangTsai can correct me if I was wrong.

For the axe kick I also heard different terms during the years:

내려 차기 nae-ryeo chagi
downward kicking

씩어 차기 ssi-geo cha-gi
chop kick?

찍기 ssik-kki
chopping

When I use the word 내려 차기 nae-ryeo chagi and have variations of the kick from the outside to the inside and vice versa, can I use both phrases listed below? Also, am I right about the 으로 ending changing the meaning to 'towards'?

안으로 내려 차기 A-neu-ro nae-ryeo chagi
towards the inside - downward kick
밖으로 내려 차기 Ba-kkeu-ro nae-ryeo chagi
towards the outside - downward kick
안 내려 차기 An nae-ryeo chagi
inside - downward kick
바깥 내려 차기 Ba-kkat nae-ryeo chagi
outside - downward kick

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanx! Then I guess that's why I've also seen:

몸돌려 차기 mom-dol-lyeo cha-gi
몸돌며 차기 mom-dol-myeo cha-gi

That would then mean 'turn your body and kick'
& 'kicking as you're turning your body', correct?

During my years in Taekwondo I came across quite a few terms for the spinning hook kick, but you could come up with different terms in English, too.

몸돌려 후려 차기 mom-dol-lyeo hu-ryeo cha-gi
body-turn-whip-kick

반대 돌려 차기 ban-dae dol-lyeo cha-gi
reverse-turn-kick

뒤후리기 dwi-hu-rigi
to the back/behind - whipping?

뒤돌려 차기 dwi-dol-lyeo cha-gi
to the back/behind - turning kick

회축 hoe-chuck
Whipping heel?

Maybe KangTsai can correct me if I was wrong.

For the axe kick I also heard different terms during the years:

내려 차기 nae-ryeo chagi
downward kicking

씩어 차기 ssi-geo cha-gi
chop kick?

찍기 ssik-kki
chopping

When I use the word 내려 차기 nae-ryeo chagi and have variations of the kick from the outside to the inside and vice versa, can I use both phrases listed below? Also, am I right about the 으로 ending changing the meaning to 'towards'?

안으로 내려 차기 A-neu-ro nae-ryeo chagi
towards the inside - downward kick
밖으로 내려 차기 Ba-kkeu-ro nae-ryeo chagi
towards the outside - downward kick
안 내려 차기 An nae-ryeo chagi
inside - downward kick
바깥 내려 차기 Ba-kkat nae-ryeo chagi
outside - downward kick
They're all correct. But 찍기 for an axe kick just has that phonic impact; it means stabbing/spearing/shoving/pressing you get my point.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
뛰어차기 means 'jumping and kicking' and 뛰며차기 means 'kicking as you're jumping.'
I'm certain that there are people who argue vehemently about which is the "right" term, because they don't know they are so nearly identical.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why does 차 렷 (Charyeut) end with a ㅅ instead of a ㅌ?
Same reason your name has a gh at the end of the first word and not an f. At the end of a syllable ㅅ closes with the tongue in a t position but as far as I understand is not aspirated, which ㅌ at the end of a syllable would be.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Same reason your name has a gh at the end of the first word and not an f. At the end of a syllable ㅅ closes with the tongue in a t position but as far as I understand is not aspirated, which ㅌ at the end of a syllable would be.
Thanks, Gnarlie! With that explanation, I think you also helped me realize the difference between ㅅ and ㅆ, which I've been struggling with!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some phrases sound more natural over others of same meaning.

That's also very true of English yet I think people don't think it also applies to other languages because we don't think about our native languages in the same way we have to with other peoples when trying to read, speak or understand them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some phrases sound more natural over others of same meaning.
I was thinking more of the people who don't speak Korean, but know the terms in TKD. I've heard people argue rather stridently about the "correct" interpretation of a Japanese term for some technique, concept, or movement - based entirely on a premise that came from a lack of understanding of Japanese.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to bother you by asking for a word-for-word translation, but what's the gist of this article?

mookas_community
It's basically, "gukgiwon taekwondo means alot to us, please help us regain its integrity, because it's currently, the management of the martial art is broken"

Specifics for that numbered section translate to

"Here are some problems that are common in taekwondo-

1. People setting up dojangs even without gukgiwon certification

2. The value of tanks and dans have been reduced to nothing

3. The gukgiwon taekwondo business is a cycle of spending money and receiving negative attention

4. Become a hierarchical, fan-like business

Will be edited

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Real basic question....how do I say "hi" formally? I thought I heard previously "anasayo", but videos seem to have an extra syllable "an young asayo"

Did I hear wrong, or do people just drop syllables when talking like in English "how ya doing" vs "how are you doing"?

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Real basic question....how do I say "hi" formally? I thought I heard previously "anasayo", but videos seem to have an extra syllable "an young asayo"

Did I hear wrong, or do people just drop syllables when talking like in English "how ya doing" vs "how are you doing"?
Glad to see this thread's recieved some bumping.

The spelling is 안녕하세요 (an-nyoung-ha-se-yo, directly translates to "you good/alive?")
As for pronounciation, yeah it is just dropping syllables in normal speech. Kinda like some non-BBC british accent : "tha' wad the bes' e'a drin' I ha' in years."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread's recieved some bumping.

The spelling is 안녕하세요 (an-nyoung-ha-se-yo, directly translates to "you good/alive?")
As for pronounciation, yeah it is just dropping syllables in normal speech. Kinda like some non-BBC british accent : "tha' wad the bes' e'a drin' I ha' in years."
That looks like a Scottish accent when I read it, but that's still a good example. In an informal accent, the Scottish seem to ignore the existence of many of the consonants and more than a few syllables.

Latest Discussions