Aren't they all...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve, I haven't talked about this as a global thing, I always say that this is what we do here not what you do. We've already had the discussion that TKD seems different in the States, it would seem that MMA is also.
Here we took the Japanese way of training in MMA as they were competing in MMA as we know it now a few years before the first UFC which wasn't MMA at first.
Too many people are taking what the professional MMA fighters are able to do as what should be done, they can train for 8 hours a day, thats two weeks training for us.
Okay. Disregarding everything you're saying and speaking now only for me: here in the States, schools teach discrete arts as well as MMA. MMA is a class that is designed to teach the skills you mention including ringcraft, transitioning between ranges and elements specific to the sport of MMA. In addition, every "MMA" school I've heard of also teaches discrete arts. Our sister school teaches BJJ and stand up. The MMA coach is also an active professional fighter, a brown belt in BJJ and an experienced Muay Thai practitioner. By teaching BJJ, both gi and no-gi, as well as striking and MMA classes, he gets students who do just do BJJ, students who just to stand up and students who train MMA. Not all of them compete or fight. I don't believe that any of his students, whether pro or not, train full time. Everyone except him has another day job, and none of them can train for 8 hours per day.

This is not uncommon, and personally, I think it's a better way to go. That way, progression in each of the different arts isn't diluted by focusing only on MMA. For example, a standing rule at our school is that you can't fight as an amateur in MMA until you've at least earned a blue belt in BJJ as well as gotten clearance from the coaches on your stand up.
We train it as MMA in each class and every gym/club I know here does that also. It truely is mixed martial arts. ou train all the techniques you need together, thats how we do it. I can't say any thing other than that. We don't train arts separately and we only train what we need out of each art.
I can see where that would be good, but at the same time, I can see it making it easier down the road for McGyms to slide in, where guys without any legitimate chops in various arts teaching diluted BJJ, diluted wrestling and diluted stand-up under the heading of "MMA".
BTW if you use a boxers stance in MMA you get taken down, there's a stance we use in MMA thats wider.
Why did you feel like you had to write that?

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see where that would be good, but at the same time, I can see it making it easier down the road for McGyms to slide in, where guys without any legitimate chops in various arts teaching diluted BJJ, diluted wrestling and diluted stand-up under the heading of "MMA".
Oh yes. I see this already happening. But then again this is something happening in all martial arts.

Latest Discussions