Are we creating a conflict in our training?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I have to agree. When our advance practitioners spar, we all know and mentally train to be serious. Not serious to want to maim the each other. Our advance spars is a "almost anything goes". From a outsider, the spars look like real fights. Sure there are some contusions and somewhat sanguinary, but after each spar, a vast concern from both particpants of injury to the other and not primarily themselves.

In other words, our advance practitioners spar really rough and with a serious mentality. There is no referee to stop. We send up a stop watch a go at it for 4 minutes. 4 minutes seem like a enternity. Based upon that we had been in and observed "real/street" fights only last that long. Unless there are many people against many.
I personally do not see the conflict.

We have a training progression so that at Red Belt we start sparring 2 on 1 using the entire dojang. At Black Belt we do 3 on 1 and up.

I don't do it before Red Belt since I don't want the other 2 trainees getting hurt since it does get chaotic and the "monkey in the middle" needs to have control.

Miles

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
I personally do not see the conflict.

We have a training progression so that at Red Belt we start sparring 2 on 1 using the entire dojang. At Black Belt we do 3 on 1 and up.

I don't do it before Red Belt since I don't want the other 2 trainees getting hurt since it does get chaotic and the "monkey in the middle" needs to have control.

Miles
How true. Very much agree that it has to be at advance levels were these have skills to hold there own.

Latest Discussions