Are Chi/Ki/Qi and spirit the same?

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Sounds very interesting, I shall have to check out this book.

One question, how heavily does it get into Quantum Physics?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Oschman does a pretty good job of handling the quantum physics in lay terms. I was a philosophy then a communications major (once I found out you couldn't make any money opening a philosophy shop!) in college, and I get through it pretty easily.

If I recall, you are familiar with Yang, Zwing Ming's work. Oschman fills in some gaps and, as a plus, you don't have to read through his 'accent'. It always takes me a while to get used to Yang's writing style. I've read about half a dozen of his books and he lays a foundation you can build on.

If you want to trundle down this path a bit I suggest a lecture series on quantum physics for non scientists from The Teaching Company. It is simply fantastic. I ordered the CDs and listen to them in my car. The course is on sale right now and the download version is only $34.95. Forgive me, I sound like and advertisemnt ... I'm just a very enthusiastic consumer of their products.

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/c...2C+2nd+Edition&pc=Science%20and%20Mathematics

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't see the soul as being comprised of chi...I think that whatever it's made of is altogether more subtle and fine. I feel that the soul would regard chi as being "crude", as it were...? Does that make any sense?

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Well, I don't see the soul as being comprised of chi...I think that whatever it's made of is altogether more subtle and fine. I feel that the soul would regard chi as being "crude", as it were...? Does that make any sense?

Yeah, it does. Does this possibly correlate to our being made in the creators image? ... perhaps? Is that where this heads?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:

Explorer said:
Yeah, it does. Does this possibly correlate to our being made in the creators image? ... perhaps? Is that where this heads?

My belief is that all of us are "one", as is our creator. Our creator is like an infinite ocean, and we are drops/molecules of water in that ocean. What we do to each other affects the entire ocean.

Similarly, I think we are all made of the same energy as our Creator. As stated in an earlier post, quantum physics/string theory states that everything that exists is made of energy. The only difference between elements is the level of vibration of the energy "strings" that comprise them. I believe our souls, like our Creator, are energy vibrating at the highest levels. I think while we are on this earth, our bodies/"meat suits" act as dampers on the energy vibrations of our souls, and this "separates" us mentally from our Creator, causing the pain and suffering we all experience. Taking it a step further, it's my belief that our mission while we are alive is to learn to reduce and ultimately eliminate the "separation" between our souls and the Creator by learning and living good lives, which raises the "vibration/awareness" level of our souls closer to that of the Creator.
I didn't use to believe in reincarnation, but now I do. I think that each "life" we live here is full of lessons to be learned that are ultimately intended to raise our soul's vibration/awareness level closer and closer to that of our Creator.

Getting back to to title/theme of this thread, I think the terms "soul/spirit/our creator" are essentially synonomous. To relate these terms to the terms Chi/Ki/Qi is difficult, because they are used in so many context's. I have seen Chi/Ki/Qi defined as "life force", which would imply a soul-like aspect.
I have also seen these terms defined as something lesser, along the lines of
an internal energy.

Bottom line for me, I think that "spirit" implies a state of "conciousness" that is not inherent in Chi/Ki/Qi. Logically, it would seem to follow that
these terms perhaps better describe a type of energy that is only a small part of the "spirit", and therefore, as pstarr indicated, a lesser form of energy.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
... Getting back to to title/theme of this thread, I think the terms "soul/spirit/our creator" are essentially synonomous. To relate these terms to the terms Chi/Ki/Qi is difficult, because they are used in so many context's. I have seen Chi/Ki/Qi defined as "life force", which would imply a soul-like aspect.
I have also seen these terms defined as something lesser, along the lines of an internal energy.

Interesting stuff, Mr. Tucker. I've also seen qi referred to in the fine, spiritual sense we've been discussing. I have very little problem viewing qi from a number of angles ... or facets. Often the word qi is modified by what preceeds or follows it .... like 'earth qi', 'sky qi' ... perhaps 'infinite qi' ior 'ultimate qi' is what we are talking about ... what do you think?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Similarly, I think we are all made of the same energy as our Creator. As stated in an earlier post, quantum physics/string theory states that everything that exists is made of energy. The only difference between elements is the level of vibration of the energy "strings" that comprise them. I believe our souls, like our Creator, are energy vibrating at the highest levels. I think while we are on this earth, our bodies/"meat suits" act as dampers on the energy vibrations of our souls, and this "separates" us mentally from our Creator, causing the pain and suffering we all experience. Taking it a step further, it's my belief that our mission while we are alive is to learn to reduce and ultimately eliminate the "separation" between our souls and the Creator by learning and living good lives, which raises the "vibration/awareness" level of our souls closer to that of the Creator.

this reminds me of a quote.
"today a young man cross training in shoot fighting realized that matter is mearly energy condensed into a slower vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectivly, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're an imagination of ourselves."
Shikan Haramitsu Daikomyo

Part of you post also reminded me a part of a book. In it the main character, a vampire named Lestat, is given a guide tour of heaven and heck (remind you of Dontae?). His guide, the Devil, takes him through everything. He starts with when God created earth and how he and the others angels are beings comprised entirely of energy. And when God created us, he "condensed" the energy to allow for more permant forms, and impermant beings. I wont get into it, but if your intersted the book is called, well I cann't remember what it's title (it wasn't my book), but it is the last in the series that started with "An Interview With a Vampire". I'll get ahold of Taylor and ask him.

John

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
this reminds me of a quote.
"today a young man cross training in shoot fighting realized that matter is mearly energy condensed into a slower vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectivly, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're an imagination of ourselves."
Shikan Haramitsu Daikomyo

John

Actually John, I'd say that quote is a more coherent, concise expression of what I was trying to say in my earlier post. Interesting....particularly to find it in a martial art context. Thanks.

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Specifically, in your opinion, do you consider Chi/Ki/Qi to be part and parcel of your spirit/soul, or an energy force which undulates through you and around you, separate from your specific soul/spirit entity?

I once heard that your "CHI" is the enegry comming off the spirit/soul within the body. And when you die or the spirit/soul leaves the body your "CHI" leaves with it. Cool eh? I heard this at a massage class :wink:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Actually John, I'd say that quote is a more coherent, concise expression of what I was trying to say in my earlier post. Interesting....particularly to find it in a martial art context. Thanks.

I didn't think it was competly on topic, but it seemed to be in the general area of what you said.

DMartialArtist

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that the spirit and your energy are directly connected and you draw strength from your spirit as bruce lee once said true strength comes from the human spirit

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Specifically, in your opinion, do you consider Chi/Ki/Qi to be part and parcel of your spirit/soul, or an energy force which undulates through you and around you, separate from your specific soul/spirit entity?

IMPO
I think there is a huge difference is the types of thing these are.

Ki/Qi/Chi same to me they are physical energy derived from your Kidney's. Often Prana is related in this area to Ida an Pangle are channels that first deliver this to are body. One kidney often represents are mother an the other are father. Physical based energy.

Spirit is a way of defining are morale belief system. Spirit like the mind is said to preside in the heart. Spirit is what we need to see in other's an hope others see come from use. Meaning we stand for something. Often caring or be a basic human come from this seat, it requires the most forward thinking emotions to guide it. The reason that this is so related to the warrior mind is that it shows true compassion when a being finally accepts his position in life an acts without care often for how they appear to others.

Soul odd that so many on here say it is religious, when the first person write about it was Plato he died for his philosophy. Soul is the seat at which are consciousness is measured/created as in what we retain to use both as are thinking developed philosophy an are questioning mindset. Each of use have many types of consciousness. Sub, Subtle, Super these are just a few of are defined soul based consciousness.

Mind This also preside in are heart it will create almost all forms of communication we have with the real world. A failure in confidence is often do to are not possessing enough knowledge to help the mind to decide what to say or how so when you meet someone that has trouble saying what is on there mind(for going a problem like Dyslexia or something else) often just means they have less than adequate knowledge of what is needed there. The mind is in essence the funnel through which are spirit says to the world hello or what ever is needed.

These can each have different types of thing that might block them an this is how we as people can look to these as none measurable sets of controls if we have taken the time to see why they where created an what each means to use. Define the world an you will see it does not exist but the Earth does exist, but define the Earth an you will see that what you feel is the World not the Earth.

I say all of this, this way cause i have spent my life trying to understand why? because i was born with Dyslexia an this made the issue of what each thing meant that much more important to me. I for year had trouble communicating an still to this day do but have learned what each thing means an why both logical an emotional fronts I spent time studying.

Just so you know the philosophy i used was a Asian one based on the Yin/Yang concept. It really stars when you first realize the Wu state of the mind the beginning, but specifically the idea of the four thing hear fall under the four entities-Heaven,Man,Woman,Earth. This is just my opinion and point of view towards life. Yes it took years for me to develop these understanding on how they appeared to work because of Dyslexia.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is an interesting question and a little bit complicated.
We have 3 words Qi(energy),Hun(soul), and Shen(spirit).
We can take 2 approaches to this: 1. They are different(which is the smaller scale) or 2. They are all equal end result.

Here is the formula if this help clears things up:

Tao(orginal state)=Yuang Jing(parents essence)=Yuan Qi)parents energy)=Jing(essence)=Qi(internal human energy)=Shen(spirit)=Hun(soul)=Gui(ghost)=Tao(orginal state) or....

Each part is fundamentally energy in some form or another.
The trouble is what Qi are we refering to which results in confusion
example: Qi Xue=blood, Wei Qi=defensive Qi Shui Qi and and Huo Qi just to name a few.
This topic can be rather lengthly or can be simply put energy is energy
depending on who you ask.

Latest Discussions