Apologies for the actions of previous generations?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for an apology!
icon6.gif

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I apologies if do wrong and I have no trouble with a government admitting that they did wrong.
BUT I do not like people (any group or person) trying to hold me responsible for what happened because of the government or my ancestors many years before I was bone.
Hold me and my government responsible for what we do now the past is dead and gone let it alone and live life for today and the future

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are currently bennefiting from the misdeeds of your ancestors and you feel no need to make amends? A simple, "I wish it didn't happen that way" is all anyone is asking. Are you happy it happened "That Way".
Sean

You are mistaking an apology with an expression of regret. They are not the same thing. An apology assumes culpability. Regret does not. Nor does it require "making amends".

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
How far back do ya want to go?

My ancestors were dirt poor imigrants that came here at the turn of the century.

Even if I was benefiting from the "misdeeds" of my ancestors. so what? Am I expected to pay for the crimes of my ancestors too?

If I go farther back I can find some group that benefited from "misdeeds" that were perpetrated against my ancestors. Am I owed an apology?

I dont know where this trend of apologies started but its the dumbest **** going.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How far back do ya want to go?

My ancestors were dirt poor imigrants that came here at the turn of the century.

Even if I was benefiting from the "misdeeds" of my ancestors. so what? Am I expected to pay for the crimes of my ancestors too?

If I go farther back I can find some group that benefited from "misdeeds" that were perpetrated against my ancestors. Am I owed an apology?

I dont know where this trend of apologies started but its the dumbest **** going.
2000 years seems to be what the West is comfotable with.
Sean

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
UPDATE:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1713708,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-top-linkbox
Aborigines Plan to Sue Australia
Friday, Feb. 15, 2008 By AP/ROD MCGUIRK
(CANBERRA, Australia) — Representatives for Australian Aborigines confirmed plans Friday to launch the first compensation lawsuits since a landmark government apology earlier this week for past abuses.

The cases, details of which were not released because they had not yet been filed, would be the first since Parliament formally apologized Wednesday to tens of thousands of Aborigines who were taken from their families as children under now discredited assimilation policies.

An activist and a lawyer representing some members of the so-called "Stolen Generations" of Aborigines said Friday as many as 40 compensation claims were being prepared in Victoria state.

Acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard reiterated Friday that the government would not offer compensation to head off court action.

"We have said no to compensation," Gillard told Fairfax Radio Network.
State governments have taken a similar stance, fighting compensation claims that have been lodged in the courts.

Latest Discussions