Anyone want their arms ripped off?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's your chance...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/winged-roller-coaster-swarm-rips-arms-off-crash-183513325.html
A theme park in London is set to debut a powerful new winged roller coaster this month, but only after first figuring out how not to dismember its riders. Time reports that Thorpe Park has been conducting test runs of its new coaster, the Swarm, even enlisting fighter pilots who described the ride as "gut-wrenching."

The self-described "flight through apocalyptic devastation on Europe's tallest winged rollercoaster" propels up to 28 riders at a time with their arms and legs dangling freely at 62 miles per hour and includes trips through an inverted 127-foot drop and several close encounters with walled structures that are designed to make passengers feel like they are about to crash.

The ride's designers ran some test runs with crash test dummies, leaving many shocked when the dummies returned from the experience missing arms and legs.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are people that bored, or are there just a lot of crazy thrill seekers?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm, free gift cards to those whose company you 'enjoy"? New interview location for prospective son's in law? This could be a useful tool.

Brian

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are a lot of inventions that make me cock my head to one side and and say "huh?" Eyelash curlers, for instance, and hairless cats. And yet some dork is willing to go out of my their feet way to shell out. Brian, I think you nailed t one.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ps- replying to forum posts via phone isn't always as "smart" as it seems. Please disregard the semantic hiccups.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wimps.

I'd ride it in a heartbeat.
It's not going to rip anybodies arms off. The construction of these things is based on math, and it's not that difficult to calculate the G forces imposed by the ride.
But every time there's a new "biggest and baddest" coaster built, there are stories like this about how if you ride it, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!!!

You girls go back to the swingset. :)

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wimps.

I'd ride it in a heartbeat.
It's not going to rip anybodies arms off. The construction of these things is based on math, and it's not that difficult to calculate the G forces imposed by the ride.
But every time there's a new "biggest and baddest" coaster built, there are stories like this about how if you ride it, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!!!

You girls go back to the swingset. :)

Yah, good luck, there, Stumpy. :)

Latest Discussions