anyone have any experience with Ubuntu?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i picked up a new computer & it came with ubuntu on it (linux-based OS). so far i can't get my linksys wireless to work in it & from the research i've done this is a common but fixable problem. i'm willing to give non-windows OSs a try, but is this going to be a massive headache? i don't want to spend two months digging up drivers & junk to put on my machine. i still have a hardrive with xp on it hooked up as a slave, so i still have the option of switching it to master & formatting the ubuntu drive.

jf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't used Ubuntu myself but a friend of mine does. I'll see if he knows anything that I can't find fro the Net.

In the meantime, see if any of these help:

http://atpeaz.placidthoughts.com/in...g-Linksys-WMP300N-to-work-on-Ubuntu-8.10.html

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-t...en-conecting-to-linksys-wireless-routers.html

http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu-linux.html

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/183061

The comments in that last link don't sound very promising, I'm sad to say :(.

EDIT: It seems Crushing and I have very smilar mindsets. My Google string was "ubuntu linksys wireless fix" :lol:

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks guys, i've been researching this most of the night. right now i'm leaning towads sticking with xp.

jf

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I run Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop. When I installed it gave me the option of installing proprietary drivers. I took the option. My peripherals have all functioned flawlessly.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I run Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, and although wireless support is much, much, better than it used to be, it is still sadly lacking for many types of cards. I have a laptop that is kind of old, it did not come with a built-in wireless capability, so I've had to buy four different wireless cards for it before I found one that Ubuntu 'liked'. When you find one that works, it just works, and works great. If it doesn't work, it tends to be a giant pain in the rear to get working, if you can get it at all.

It was a couple years ago when I had to buy all the wireless cards - things have now gotten to the point where three out of four of them 'just work', but one is still totally incapable of being recognized by Ubuntu. I don't even bother trying - not worth the pain.

But I love Ubuntu, that's all I run on my own PC's.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i picked up a new computer & it came with ubuntu on it (linux-based OS). so far i can't get my linksys wireless to work in it & from the research i've done this is a common but fixable problem. i'm willing to give non-windows OSs a try, but is this going to be a massive headache? i don't want to spend two months digging up drivers & junk to put on my machine. i still have a hardrive with xp on it hooked up as a slave, so i still have the option of switching it to master & formatting the ubuntu drive.

jf

what version of Ubuntu are you running? If it is a older version first try upgrading, wireless support has gotten pretty good. I've set up with a few different types of cards and had it run right away.

However you may need to use a ndis wrapper: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys. i'm running ubuntu 8.10. i got my wireless up & running finally but was having a hard time getting some pages to load. then i noticed a little thing in the corner that told me i had 289 updates to download. after that everything has been working well! one of my students uses ubuntu & told me about a program called WINE which allows most windows programs to run on ubuntu. so i'm hoping it will go even smoother once i get that loaded.

jf

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a Linux based app for almost every Windows app. Most folks who load WINE do it for gaming.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
one of my students uses ubuntu & told me about a program called WINE which allows most windows programs to run on ubuntu. so i'm hoping it will go even smoother once i get that loaded.

jf

He may have exaggerated a slight bit...

It does a lot, and it is a pretty complex program. But trying to reverse engineer and re-implement the entire Windows API is not a easy task.

This should give you an idea on what can be run: http://appdb.winehq.org/

But whenever possible its better to run a native linux app. Personally I don't use Wine for anything, my work system has virtual box with a XP install, but that is only really ever used to control other windows boxes via remote desktop and such.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew, I'm virtualizing a few machines at work. Do you prefer VirtualBox or Xen? VMWare just made most of their formerly free stuff 30-day trial.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For my purposes, which is occasionally firing up a windows install I like virtualBox, it was easy to get going and does what I need.

If I was trying to virtualize servers, I think Xen would be a better option, but it is geared more for Linux on Linux types of setups.

Latest Discussions