Where to get the best deal?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been a regular pc user for years. Actually got to use some of the very first ones out. Now however, I am fed up to my elbows with Windows, PCs, and the whole sorry mess. I also, will go to my grave, ensuring that GATEWAY will never receive another penny of my hard earned money.

With that said, I am going to soon be shopping for a (gulp) MAC. The following is, essentially, my shopping list. I am wondering for any of you MAC aficianados, where I might get the best price?

Mac-mini
Hub to switch tween computers (I still have the Gateway POS)
Max ram 2-gig
120 gig hard drive
secondary drive mac-mini - optional
superdrive to burn with
apple care protection plan

Much as I hate to say it, I have neither the time, nor the proclivities to develop an intrinsic understanding of all this, so the simpler, the easier for me. If I can buy this whole kit and kaboodle somewhere, and can plug a vcr machine into it, and make movies into dvds... Then I'm there.

Thanks for any help you all can render... And to Gateway, I want to simply say, "Fair Well. You have been a completely superior inferior company, and I can understand why your stores had to finally all close up a few years ago". :soapbox:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can get a 'deal' on Mac prices. I think most suppliers keep things pretty close to list, all across the country.

My first computer - in '92 - was a Gateway. It was OK, but then Gateway started cloning all the components.

I think the 24 I-Mac is looking like a really nice computer. I'm almost ready to make the switch - my wife wants a dual boot (Mac & XP/Vista) - but I would rather just have OS-X. The thing that is holding me back, is I am a MS Money user, this will require either a clone mode or dual boot. Grrr.

Oh, yeah ... and they don't have drivers for my printer ..... :(

Good Luck.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate Gateway, too. I think my next desktop will be a Dell.

OP
Sigung86

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Next issue... Can I run a vcr to the mac and upload the old analog tapes I have? Lot's of Parker, Tracy and other old stuff that I want to put on dvd.

Further... Can it be done that way with a Mac Laptop?

Thanks....

Dan