Grandmaster
Reaction score
FA983A2F-83F4-46D0-ABB0-971211F94F46.png

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yea but there but this is not a 90% risk, for the first example

its hard to say what is is exaxtly but its certainly in single figures
I applaud you for saying "hard to say... exactly" and "certainly in single figures" in the same sentence without a trace of irony. Bravo.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I applaud you for saying "hard to say... exactly" and "certainly in single figures" in the same sentence without a trace of irony. Bravo.
in single figures is inexactly,

its 5 % pl us or minus 4 if you want it exact

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
1 to 100, thats general how percentages work
To what decimal? I mean, are we talking 9.99% or 9.999%? What if the risk is actually 10.001%? How are we measuring risk? As I said... depends on the scale.

In related news, I think it's fascinating to see how you think about things. While most people understand that it's a joke, if anything, they would rightly point out that there's no way to accurately quantify the risk... so 90% vs 30% etc. Numbers taken out of thin air, really. Too many variable to quantify, even if the order of the relative risk is accurate. I mean, most people just get that this is not a scientific scale.

Not you, though. You're like, "Hard to say... for some people. But not for me! It's definitely single digits. Yeah!" You survey the terrain and say, "This... this is the hill I will die on."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To what decimal? I mean, are we talking 9.99% or 9.999%? What if the risk is actually 10.001%? How are we measuring risk? As I said... depends on the scale.

In related news, I think it's fascinating to see how you think about things. While most people understand that it's a joke, if anything, they would rightly point out that there's no way to accurately quantify the risk... so 90% vs 30% etc. Numbers taken out of thin air, really. Too many variable to quantify, even if the order of the relative risk is accurate. I mean, most people just get that this is not a scientific scale.

Not you, though. You're like, "Hard to say... for some people. But not for me! It's definitely single digits. Yeah!" You survey the terrain and say, "This... this is the hill I will die on."
to one decimal, thats what single figure means???

5.1 is not single figure, go figure

Latest Discussions