Any strike at any time....

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You would think there would be a big difference between the range needed to throw a knee strike vs an elbow vs a body kick. But after my Muay Thai class this morning, I am reminded how close all of these ranges can be.

The Thais can feed you an elbow at long range, or a body kick hold at pretty close range. It blurs the lines regarding ranges and teaches you how to hit with any of these at almost any time.

The subtle aspects of professional pad work is what makes the difference I think. Developing the skills to strike with nearly amy strike at any time. This is accomplished by learning from day one on how to make micro or macro adjustments with your feet on every strike.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Part of that goes back to your original premise, that there are different ranges for each strike. Knowing the typical effective range for each strike is the baseline for making modifications.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of that goes back to your original premise, that there are different ranges for each strike. Knowing the typical effective range for each strike is the baseline for making modifications.
Yes, I think you are right. At this point I can land an elbow at distances I previously thought were for front kicks. It's all in the footwork!

Latest Discussions