Any real knife episodes?

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stealth said:
:lol:

Yeah, but if someone was truly trying to kill you and you defend yourself the evidence will show that... And the they can't lie about what happened and try to sue you. I hope I am never put into a situation like that, and would have a very hard time killing someone... Even if they were trying to harm me.

No I could do it but the cops wouldn't examine the evidence properly, that happens when get in fights with them in the court house lol.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
James Patrick said:
We've had a number of people associated with us who have been through real encounters where knives were presented.

One recent one was mentioned here: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33037

Scary stuff!

James

I didn't know this happened to Paul, I'm gald he's ok. This situation & the way that Paul handled it is kind of what I was getting at in my post, he turned the tables very quickly & he was not only ready to take the next step (drawing his firearm) but, he was prepared & in a good position to succeed, he was prepared & proactive. This is still a pretty scary situation & you always have to have some luck on your side (a loaded firearm helps to). Now think about if he didn't have the firearm, he would probably have had to deal with the other thug & possibly another edged weapon or some other deadly weapon (most people would have had trouble handling the first assailant?) & then consider the fact that most of us don't carry a loaded firearm (I don't) or a blade for that matter ( I carry 2 or 3 blades plus a small but, heavy projectile), it would have been alot worse for most people? I consider Paul at the top of the heap when it comes to dealing with this type of LT situation, he used a little knife defense with alot of potential offense, we can all learn alot from Paul.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a few stories, but I'm only telling one - a cautionary tail of idiocy combined with youthful testosterone.

At around 20 years old, I got very involved in weapons training. I really loved it. Eventually, that led to the knife and I trained with gusto. A friend of mine trained in a very different style, but also had some knife experience. We took to sparring with short wooden dowels to practice our techniques. One day at his house, we were sitting around goofing off and several non-practicing friends were around. One of them joked that if he ever got into a fight with us he'd use his knife - ha ha, right? Well my buddy proceeded to tell him how wrong he was. We were martial artists! We can kick anyones butt! (you all know where this is going) So we decided to show them. Just one problem - no dowels around but plenty of pocket knives.

Long story short, I have a beautifully matched set of knife scars across the back of 2 fingers on my right hand, and one on my left. All happened at the same time.

Lesson? Knives are sharp (there's afew more lessons in there if you look ;) )

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did a training with reactionary gap. Same thing as in the video. Assailant armed with a knife attacks cop with holstered gun. The cops got sliced up good when the assailant was within ten feet. More often than not from 11-20 feet. Only beyond twenty feet were most of the cops able to draw and fire multiple rounds before the assailant reached them. One thing that was effective was the police officers using sideways movement as the assailant comes in to increase the gap.

Knife wounds can be deceptive. I responded to a call where the victim had a small puncture wound in the shoulder blade area at the base of the neck. It didn't look big, but it was obviously deep. It turned out that it penetrated deep enough to collapse the lung. There was also damage to the esophagus. It nearly struck a major artery as well. Knives scare the crud out me.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had a knife pulled at me at work (Sears) in the mid-1980's by a mentally disturbed person. Gave him what he wanted. My instinct at the time (of which I am more certain of now) was that I would have been cut to ribbons if I had fought back. He had the drop on me and was older (late thirties to mid-forties; I was nineteen) and had the intensity mental illnes can give some people. True, I held brown belts in two different arts at the time, but, thank goodness, I wasn't stupid.

I don't know what the deal is - most of my SD situations have been armed (the other person). Folks who just have to deal with haymakers are lucky!

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I don't know what the deal is - most of my SD situations have been armed (the other person). Folks who just have to deal with haymakers are lucky!

OOh you just met the "professionals" who stack the deck from get go... As opposed to the guys who talk allot or the guys who (think God are few) stab first and ask for things later...

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My face was split open nicely by some sort of instrument at a concert about ten years ago. One minute was thinking pretty highly of myself, next minute warm blood was running into my eyes. Wasn't the end to that evening, by the time it was done i had a ambulance ride to the hospital and eight and a half hours of getting layer after layer of 330 stitches to my face. Cost a bundle too, haven't really 'wanted' to fight much since.

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
My face was split open nicely by some sort of instrument at a concert about ten years ago. One minute was thinking pretty highly of myself, next minute warm blood was running into my eyes. Wasn't the end to that evening, by the time it was done i had a ambulance ride to the hospital and eight and a half hours of getting layer after layer of 330 stitches to my face. Cost a bundle too, haven't really 'wanted' to fight much since.

Let me rephrase that, i have wanted to try my stuff out several times perhaps thats immature idk but i haven't wanted things to go the way they did that night :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:

330? Dude, thats nuts. Not to be insensitive, but do you have any pics? Also, tell us the whole story.

Tragic circumstances can be put to good use by helping people learn from the experience; and this is something that we could definatily all learn from...

Thanks,

Paul

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
330? Dude, thats nuts. Not to be insensitive, but do you have any pics? Also, tell us the whole story.

Tragic circumstances can be put to good use by helping people learn from the experience; and this is something that we could definatily all learn from...

Thanks,

Paul

I dont have a camera, i still wear the scars. Basically what went on was i kept getting in tussles with some local straight edge gang members who were jumping/sharking people. The last fight of the evening i nailed one of three that were facing me off in the nose and the other two jumped on me, we were seperated, i tried to run, got tripped, fell and got kicked in the face with steel toes till there was a pool of blood big enough for me to see my own reflection in it when my friends finally got to me and helped me up. A riot ensued, these guys had jumped a lot of people unfairly. However by then i was in the ambulance. It was at a slayer concert, since then ive lost my appetite for slayer completely. We had been fighting back and forth all night, i recall four distinct altercations, i was cut on the first one and recut on the second and fourth, the fourth was what really did me in. I guess if theres something useful that can be gleaned from this story for you guys from my perspective i would say this. After fight number one with anyone displace from your environment, don't hang around giving things a chance to build into something worse. Leave the area, immediately especially if you're in a contained environment like a concert. Also, for all the knife fighters, warm blood will distract you if you've never felt yourself bleed from an open wound, especially if its a deep wound. :)

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
I dont have a camera, i still wear the scars. Basically what went on was i kept getting in tussles with some local straight edge gang members who were jumping/sharking people. The last fight of the evening i nailed one of three that were facing me off in the nose and the other two jumped on me, we were seperated, i tried to run, got tripped, fell and got kicked in the face with steel toes till there was a pool of blood big enough for me to see my own reflection in it when my friends finally got to me and helped me up. A riot ensued, these guys had jumped a lot of people unfairly. However by then i was in the ambulance. It was at a slayer concert, since then ive lost my appetite for slayer completely. We had been fighting back and forth all night, i recall four distinct altercations, i was cut on the first one and recut on the second and fourth, the fourth was what really did me in. I guess if theres something useful that can be gleaned from this story for you guys from my perspective i would say this. After fight number one with anyone displace from your environment, don't hang around giving things a chance to build into something worse. Leave the area, immediately especially if you're in a contained environment like a concert. Also, for all the knife fighters, warm blood will distract you if you've never felt yourself bleed from an open wound, especially if its a deep wound. :)

So how many stitches did you actually get? Lets see the pics of the scars. Why didn't they throw you out after the 1st, 2nd, 0r 3rd fight? (especially if there were edge weapons involved?) pretty bad security. BTW, I am glad that you lived to tell your story, you were lucky.

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Knarfan said:
So how many stitches did you actually get? Lets see the pics of the scars. Why didn't they throw you out after the 1st, 2nd, 0r 3rd fight? (especially if there were edge weapons involved?) pretty bad security. BTW, I am glad that you lived to tell your story, you were lucky.

330 stitches like i said... I don't own a camera... It was at a slayer concert dude, security was too busy worrying about their own sakes, do you understand what kind of a crowd slayer draws? security wouldnt even come into the building, they were positioned at the doors...Also like I said after I was beaten there was a full on riot. August 1996

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
330 stitches like i said... I don't own a camera... It was at a slayer concert dude, security was too busy worrying about their own sakes, do you understand what kind of a crowd slayer draws? security wouldnt even come into the building, they were positioned at the doors...Also like I said after I was beaten there was a full on riot. August 1996

Sounds like a bad seen. It must have been a tough time in your life. I'm glad you made it through. I think that SLAYER owes you a refund :) . Seriously though, don't sweat the picture, it was just my morbid curiousity.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is better not to dwell on the past, but there is still a lot of information going around that could get people killed.
That being said...
I have had 2 encounters with a knife, the first one was in the Army, falling in for formation from a Sunday pass one guy in my platoon, who was drunk pulled his bayonett on me and started talking stuff. I can't remember why we had our gear out, but the long and short of it was I hit his knife a few times and then I him in the face with my e-tool (shovel).
The second time I was walking in to the bar where I managed security. Maybe you remember this incident Rich?
This is the same place, BTW, that Rich Parsons got his nose broken working for me one night:D , fighting skinheads I believe? And it wasn't a rough place at all, it was always transients or non-regulars that caused trouble. Anyway..I walk around the corner to go in the bar, I feel a poke in my side like a punch and this tells me to give him my wallet. He had stabbed me in the side before he asked me for my money. I grabbed his wrist/hand and started punching him in the face, while trying to shake the knife out of his hand with my other hand. Both times I was fixated on the knife. Looking back, both incidences could have been avoided if I had been more aware of my surroundings.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
Only 1 time did I have to take a knife away from someone. But they were not attacking me.

I was in a restaurant/bar when a fight broke out not too far away, then they ended up almost immediately next to me. On eguy got hit and staggered back. As he regained his balance he pulled a knife and came stepping back in and stabbing towards where his opponent was. The other guy had already side stepped, I guess as soon as he saw the blade come out and before the step. They were both drinking and I would say the guy with knife had more and his reflexes were slower. The only problem here was that a waitress had come down the stairs carrying a tray and was obliviously stepping into the stab. I can't really tell you what technqiue I did, probably some form of tekagami. I know I reached for the hand and turned the wrist and perhaps hit him. The end result was he was on the ground and his knife was in my hand.
What I did not know, until I got out to my car and went to put the key in the door, was that my hand was bleeding. I must have intercepted the blade at first and then his hand pushed forward into mine. I never felt the cut. if I felt like explaining it, I probably would have got about 3-5 stitches. But me and my buddy just took off. I kept that knife as a souvenier of sorts for a number of years.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nemesis said:
I've seen a lot of threads here about knifes, knife fighting systems, even one good article about the materials and design of a good self defense knife. I am sure that there are in here a lot of people very well versed in this weapon.

But how about real stories? Has anybody ever had the badluck of having to test their skills on the streets?
What happened? What did you feel, both during the fight and after? What do think you did wrong or good in the fight? And what were the legal implications?

I was a chef for several years... If you've ever worked under an old German chef who was an apprentice at the age of 12, you've been attacked with a knife at least once, lol. I personally prefer tongs or a good pot lid. Use the lid to deflect blows, and attempt to grab a sleeve or his big ol' mustache with the tongs until he calms down. Then he'll give you a beer and tell you a story about Germany in 1925.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
monkey said:
Heres a differnat twist.My friend had his house brok into.The guy came in threw the sky light.When my friend was confronted with the knife by the guy.My friend broke his arm.Not telling his was a brown belt. The guy took him to court - sued & won.The judge said (No restraint was used & no sign of dealy force was deplayed to merit such force).Funny how we cant protect our selvs.We dont know thier intent at that time.it may change later & be viewed as just a minor thret.

That's ridiculous. Utterly stupid. Some guy comes at you with a knife IN YOUR HOME, and one of the main weapons you have is surprise, and you're meant to tell him about being a MAtist? Stuff that. The law's an ***. Or rather, it is in the western world. Sheesh....

If possible, and the knife/bladed weapon is pulled in advance, what may be lying around in the environment that you could use to defend yourself. Just a thought.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is better not to dwell on the past, but there is still a lot of information going around that could get people killed.
That being said...
I have had 2 encounters with a knife, the first one was in the Army, falling in for formation from a Sunday pass one guy in my platoon, who was drunk pulled his bayonett on me and started talking stuff. I can't remember why we had our gear out, but the long and short of it was I hit his knife a few times and then I him in the face with my e-tool (shovel).
The second time I was walking in to the bar where I managed security. Maybe you remember this incident Rich?
This is the same place, BTW, that Rich Parsons got his nose broken working for me one night:D , fighting skinheads I believe? And it wasn't a rough place at all, it was always transients or non-regulars that caused trouble. Anyway..I walk around the corner to go in the bar, I feel a poke in my side like a punch and this tells me to give him my wallet. He had stabbed me in the side before he asked me for my money. I grabbed his wrist/hand and started punching him in the face, while trying to shake the knife out of his hand with my other hand. Both times I was fixated on the knife. Looking back, both incidences could have been avoided if I had been more aware of my surroundings.

I remember the incident(s).

I also remember the multiple opponents and the girls with the dogs on choke chains the guys still in the truck bed cheering them on and the two guys already knocked out on the ground and being kicked by steel toed boots.

Note: My nose has always bent like that. He hit me in the eye so hard my right eye was looking at my nose. I closed it and continued to fight. I knew if I went down that I would be the one getting kicked.

The hard part was explaining it to all those I worked with. Being an engineer and having an eye purple and yellow and black and green, and other colors in the rainbow and swollen shut.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember the incident(s).

I also remember the multiple opponents and the girls with the dogs on choke chains the guys still in the truck bed cheering them on and the two guys already knocked out on the ground and being kicked by steel toed boots.

Note: My nose has always bent like that. He hit me in the eye so hard my right eye was looking at my nose. I closed it and continued to fight. I knew if I went down that I would be the one getting kicked.

The hard part was explaining it to all those I worked with. Being an engineer and having an eye purple and yellow and black and green, and other colors in the rainbow and swollen shut.

Yeah, I had forgot about the dogs, that was a rough one.

Ah good times... NOT!

Latest Discussions