Any older beginners out there?

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It must have something to do with all the schools catering to kids. The perception becomes that that is the norm, and by the time you reach 20 it is time to retire. Martial arts are for kids, and adults who continue to train are weird/nerds/abnormal/…

Funny thing for me, when I began training I was age 13 in a class of adults. I felt like the oddball for being so young, I perceived it as an adult thing to do. That was 1984. Times have changed.

This is what I'm experiencing. Even the "adult" class age starts at 13.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am. There aren’t a lot of schools here.

Not knowing what styles are available it is hard to say which would be a better choice. I can say most Taekwondo schools and many Karate schools will likely be the same as you are experiencing.

If there is a Jeet Kune Do, a Wing Chun, and Aikido, school you may have more luck. There are other styles as well that might work for you. But if not, you may have to go deal with it, don't let the age issue stop you if that is what you want.

I once let age stop me from trying a Krav Maga class, but my age made me think.... all these young guys..20 and up, are going to look at me like their dad and take all their frustrations with their dad out on me :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, that can be a problem in some areas. You might consider widening your circle a bit. If you are able and willing to travel a bit farther, it might bring in more possibilities. At one time I was traveling and hour and a half each way, twice a week for the training I wanted. You just need to focus on practice at home between classes, if it isn’t realistic to be in class several times a week. Once a week or even once every couple of weeks, if the instruction is robust, can be enough to make good progress. It can certainly be done, I always encourage people to practice at home, even as a beginner. Take ownership of your training in that way. Don’t worry about making mistakes when you are at home. You will make them, but you get corrected when you return to class. Just keep the momentum.

May I ask, in what area do you live?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Some of us may know schools with good adult programs. The issue is the people that have good business sense, so know how to advertise and create a website/use SEO, have good enough business sense to know the money is in child classes.

The people with adult classes often don't have that stuff so it can be tougher to find something. But if you're lucky someone on here may know a school where you live, or at least know better ways to find one with adult classes in that area.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that can be a problem in some areas. You might consider widening your circle a bit. If you are able and willing to travel a bit farther, it might bring in more possibilities. At one time I was traveling and hour and a half each way, twice a week for the training I wanted. You just need to focus on practice at home between classes, if it isn’t realistic to be in class several times a week. Once a week or even once every couple of weeks, if the instruction is robust, can be enough to make good progress. It can certainly be done, I always encourage people to practice at home, even as a beginner. Take ownership of your training in that way. Don’t worry about making mistakes when you are at home. You will make them, but you get corrected when you return to class. Just keep the momentum.

May I ask, in what area do you live?

NH

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I don’t know anyone in that area. But keep looking.

It's been a really weird search, to be honest. The differences between facilities and instructors is huge and I'm having trouble deciding.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been a really weird search, to be honest. The differences between facilities and instructors is huge and I'm having trouble deciding.
You could post some website links here and people might offer opinions. Keep in mind, website evaluations are no guarantee, but it might give you food for thought.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You could post some website links here and people might offer opinions. Keep in mind, website evaluations are no guarantee, but it might give you food for thought.

Of the three I've visited, only one has a website and it's the generic website most of the larger facilities in my area have. They are all exactly the same. The other two don't have websites and are very small.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of the three I've visited, only one has a website and it's the generic website most of the larger facilities in my area have. They are all exactly the same. The other two don't have websites and are very small.
What is the travel distance for these, and would you be willing to travel farther?

Or you could simply sign up at one of the schools and give it a chance. If it proves to be not good for you, try the next one. And then the next. Have a very frank discussion with the teacher about your concerns and whether they can give good training to an adult and what that arrangement would look like.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What is the travel distance for these, and would you be willing to travel farther?

Or you could simply sign up at one of the schools and give it a chance. If it proves to be not good for you, try the next one. And then the next. Have a very frank discussion with the teacher about your concerns and whether they can give good training to an adult and what that arrangement would look like.

I’m in western NH in the middle of nowhere. Part of the limitations are mine due to job, church, and family. I need to work around other commitments as well.

Right now I have a 30 minute radius. 1 of them has a trial that I’ll probably do, the other two are very small and said I could do a few classes for free. I’m going to do the trial at the larger facility and a few classes at the closest one that is the biggest wild card for me. It could be awesome, or horrible and I can’t get a read on which.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’m in western NH in the middle of nowhere. Part of the limitations are mine due to job, church, and family. I need to work around other commitments as well.

Right now I have a 30 minute radius. 1 of them has a trial that I’ll probably do, the other two are very small and said I could do a few classes for free. I’m going to do the trial at the larger facility and a few classes at the closest one that is the biggest wild card for me. It could be awesome, or horrible and I can’t get a read on which.

Possibly near Keene?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok, jump in and see how it goes. Then you know, for better or for worse. And talk with the instructors to get a sense of the community of adult students.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
over an hour from Keene. Closer to Peterborough.
if you're near Nashua there are a few schools that likely have adult classes, couple of BJJ and MMA schools. There is a Judo and Muay Thai in Manchester. And there is an Aikido in Lyndeborough. I thought there use to be a Wing Chun school somewhere around there, but I cannot locate it.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you're near Nashua there are a few schools that likely have adult classes, couple of BJJ and MMA schools. There is a Judo and Muay Thai in Manchester. And there is an Aikido in Lyndeborough. I thought there use to be a Wing Chun school somewhere around there, but I cannot locate it.
I’ve looked at most and may expand to Manchester or Nashua if needed. I’ve spoken to the place in Lyndeborough and they require full vaccination to walk through the door.

Latest Discussions