Any of you practice slashing at something with a real bade?

OP
M

MisterMike

Thanks KG!

My wife won't let me open it until Christmas! I heard the same that Hanwei was actually making the swords for Bugei. Is the quality of the blade the same as the Hanwei folded series do you think?

Basically I heard Hanwei custom work was Bugei. I'm just wondering what they do to go the extra length for Bugei that they may not do in their own series.

OP
K

Kempo Guy

Mike,

Hanwei makes all the blades for Bugei (except for the custom blades). And from what I understand, the Bugei blades are the same as the folded blades offered by other dealers. I've been told the primary difference between Bugei versus other Hanwei blades are the quality of the fittings and the tsuka wrap.
It's also my understanding that Bugei have stricter quality control on the swords and as you suggest exceed the standards on Hanwei's own line of swords...

BTW, each sword within a series have a different characteristic from one sword to another... That's why the next time I buy a Bugei blade I'm going to their facility and handle each one before making a decision.

FWIW, I'm thinking of getting a Tanto from Hanwei as well...

KG

OP
A

AaronLucia

As has already been suggested, use milk jugs/gatorade bottles and the like to cut. I had my first sword cutting seminar about a week ago, and i had alot of fun just doing that. You'd be suprised at how you can't seem to cut the jug sometimes. :)

OP
G

GarethB

Ditto for getting proper instruction first.

Also, quoting a line from a fantasy computer game called Balder's Gate, there's talking sword (hey, it's fantasy) in the game that often says "Hey, I'm not an axe, I don't cut wood". If you want to cut up logs or branches, buy an axe or a chainsaw.

OP
P

pecator67

Hi, I'm new. I'm from The Netherlands - Europe.

And I need some help picking out a good sword for my money. I hope my english won't fail me....

I am thinking of buying two swords (preferably more, hehe): one for daily Iaido practice and one to show off ; ). I prefer a 'longer' katana; I was thinking about picking the PC Practical Pro before the Practical Plus... or maybe even the Musashi?!

Or what about the Iaido practice swords of Japanese origin: Muramasa, Kotetsu or the Kanesada, etc..? Are they better, in any way, even though they are slightly more expensive?

And for demonstrations I want to use the Bushido katana; or the Dragonfly Katana (Bugei/Paul Chen).
Any suggestions? Please help me!

Thanx.
Stephen.

Latest Discussions