Any martial artist near by?

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey just curious. Are there any fellow practitioners in the Bay Area? I'm in the East Bay and willing to be an uke. I think it'll be a great way for you to sharpen your skill and allow me to feel what great technique looks like. Just putting it out there. Forgive me if I sound super grasshopper....ish.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Candidly, if I were you, I'd be really wary about agreeing to be uke for some random dude off an internet forum. Just like giving out your home address on an online dating service, you're planning yourself in a vulnerable position with someone who may or may not be a total psycho.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You know what...you're right! My enthusiasm for this art had me assuming everyone has good intentions. I greatly appreciate your bringing this to my attention. Dang I was tripping!!!

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I realize that was a misguided offer. Today will be the 3rd day of my practice in Goju Ryu Karate and I already know that I definitely want to train more outside of class. I guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be a problem finding/connecting with someone who has a zeal for practicing. Man..I just want to practice. I guess I better slow my roll.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I realize that was a misguided offer. Today will be the 3rd day of my practice in Goju Ryu Karate and I already know that I definitely want to train more outside of class. I guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be a problem finding/connecting with someone who has a zeal for practicing. Man..I just want to practice. I guess I better slow my roll.
You should be learning stuff to practice on your own. Either practice kata, or the kicks/punches your learning. Or if you don't want to do that, focus on general fitness. Building up your cardio is never a bad thing, and it'll help once you get to sparring.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All the information I'm receiving is much appreciated. Thank you because it is definitely opening me up to the many ways I can get better. Thanks again.

# humility
# gratitude

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Glad you're loving your class so far! At this stage in the game, the two things you can do outside of class that are helpful are:

1. Practice what you do in class, or

2. Athletic cross training (kettlebells, free weights, running, CrossFit, rowing).

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you like it up there?
It’s hot, but life is a lot lot less expensive. Looking for work, might also look for an opportunity to teach and get connected to the martial arts community here.

We loved the Bay Area, and lived in Moss Beach on the coast south of San Francisco for about five years, that was hard to leave. It the financial reality finally took its toll.

We are actually finding Folsom to be quite a likable place.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can definitely relate on the financial toll aspect. That's the main reason I asked. Its getting more ridiculous by the day. I hope that you are able to connect with the martial arts community up there. And I know I've said this multiple times to many folks this far...but I really do appreciate all of the feedback, suggestions and advice. I can only imagine how much more difficult the focus and discipline for higher ranking belts. Believe me I hold great value in all the information that you all are blessing me with.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should be learning stuff to practice on your own. Either practice kata, or the kicks/punches your learning.
This is pretty much all martial arts. If you are going to take a martial arts then you have to be comfortable with putting some alone time into your training. It sounds bad, but it's critical for improvement. Practicing alone often means you aren't distracted, you aren't thinking about anything but yourself and the task at hand.

For me it was a lot of practice and train on my own. Even if I'm with other's I'm focusing only on me. I'll put it this way. If I train in a class of 15 students, then I can't tell you what they did during that class because I was focused on me and what I had to learn. The only time I really knew what others did, was when everyone was doing the same drill.

It was just me in my own self-absorb existence, unless a drill required a partner. It's funny how martial arts is. It's giving and selfish at the same time. It's a group activity and an individual activity at the same time. It's about others and about the individual at the same time. It's a singular focus but a total awareness at the same time.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can definitely relate on the financial toll aspect. That's the main reason I asked. Its getting more ridiculous by the day. I hope that you are able to connect with the martial arts community up there. And I know I've said this multiple times to many folks this far...but I really do appreciate all of the feedback, suggestions and advice. I can only imagine how much more difficult the focus and discipline for higher ranking belts. Believe me I hold great value in all the information that you all are blessing me with.
That's a good way to be, especially here at Martial Talk. lol. There's a lot of good advice but it doesn't always "roll off the tongue" in a gentle manner. A lot of us are blunt, but not personal. There's a good collection of experience here.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are there any fellow practitioners in the Bay Area?
If you live near by San Luis Obispo, I would love to be your training partner.

You should build up your "fighting club". I still remember many years ago I had created a fighting club with

- 1 TKD guy,
- 1 Hapkido guy
- 1 Okinawa karate guy,
- 1 MT guy, and
- 1 Kung Fu guy (myself).

We sparred among each other regularly and develop experience. We also competed in many Karate tournaments.

I learned

- flying side kick from my TKD friend,
- flying knee from my MT friend.
- front kick with toes from my Okinawa karate friend.
- how to throw red pepper at someone's face before starting a fight from my Hapkido friend (his favor trick).

Last edited:
OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate the bluntness. I'm pretty thick skinned and I want to be a solid martial artist one day so I'll take the advice however it's expressed. I feel like I'm lucky to even have found this site. So it's all good fam.

Latest Discussions