Lack of respect---bothersome???

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Hey all!

This might seem ridiculous to most, but, it bothers me, and I just wanted to sound off, please bear with me. Growing up with the arts, back in the early 80's (has it been that long?-- Aargh!), there seemed to be the sentiment of respect by the general public for those who studied the martial arts. When they would find out you'd get the raised eyebrow look, and silent response or nod. Slowly, through the years, I noticed that the arts became kind of a joke, or something to be not taken seriously. People would drop into a "stance" and give you the "waaah!" sound or do the infamous "crane stance" from the karate kid movies. Usually you would just smile and blow it off, but, it always bothered me a bit, as I always had a serious view of the arts, and what a great ally they are. Later on, even in tournaments, it was the "entertaining" forms champions, and competitiors that would get the billing, over the fighters, even getting more prize money ( I checked out info for an upcoming tourney and saw it to be this way still). The final straw (I guess) was the way the new martial art movie (the name escapes me at the moment, forgive me) was advertised as "A new Kung Fu comedy". Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, and just felt the nedd to spout off to fellow martial artists. What are your feelings about this subject?
Respect to all!

T

traz

I definitely relate to the first half of your post. The whole bit about the crane stance and the sound effects...yep, I"ve heard that many times when ppl find out I do martial arts. Many people joke about it, and ask me to prove some techniques on that in jest, otherwise my training is a failure. I just laugh it off and say whatever, but it also bothers me a bit because I take MA seriously, just like yourself. Oh well...its just one of those things. They don't understand it, you can't blame them :p

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I definitely relate to what you said. People would treat it like the fastest draw in the west, always wanting me to display something, argue tehniques and styles, or try me out. The best was, which I heard many times, was when people would find out, they would come up to me on the side and say that they used to do it too, and it always seemed that everyone was a black belt. Through the years that wasn't even good enough, people now had multiple degrees on their black belts! They always seemed to want to out do you.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Quite bothersome. Again, MA has become something of a novelty these days. With all the McDojos around, people assume that all MA instruction is hard, linear stuff that would never work in combat. People tend to make the weirest comments, like if you can't break through a stone brick, then you're not a black belt. Or, if you can't kick over your head, you're a bad MAist. Too many stereotypes, too much ignorance. I'm just thankful for the open-minded

J

Jaymeister

When I did TKD, and people wanted me to show them some kicks, I'd just say something like: "Well you play soccer don't you? Show me a throw in"... That would always shut them up.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too, can relate to that, and that is probably one of the main reasons I do not broadcast that I am involved in the arts. Its has nothing to do with being ashamed, as that is not the case, but it seems that you get the never ending barrage of questions, and given the nature of the way they're asked, it has that not serious tone to it. However, if someone is sincerely interested, then I have no problem going into detail about what I do.

As for the 2nd part of your post...I agree with that also. It seems more and more like the ones doing the flashiest form or wearing the flashiest gi get better scores than someone wearing a plain white or black gi and doing more of a traditional kata.

Mike

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is perhaps an unfortunate sign of the times that people do not respect each other-in or out of the martial arts.

As an instructor, I try to instill in my students that they represent the art, the school, and me. This was how I was taught and I hope to say I never ever do anything which would cause disrespect to my instructors.

When people ask me about martial arts or want to show me something they know, I invite them to come to class.

Miles

K

Kempogeek

Hand Sword said:
Hey all!

This might seem ridiculous to most, but, it bothers me, and I just wanted to sound off, please bear with me. Growing up with the arts, back in the early 80's (has it been that long?-- Aargh!), there seemed to be the sentiment of respect by the general public for those who studied the martial arts. When they would find out you'd get the raised eyebrow look, and silent response or nod. Slowly, through the years, I noticed that the arts became kind of a joke, or something to be not taken seriously. People would drop into a "stance" and give you the "waaah!" sound or do the infamous "crane stance" from the karate kid movies. Usually you would just smile and blow it off, but, it always bothered me a bit, as I always had a serious view of the arts, and what a great ally they are. Later on, even in tournaments, it was the "entertaining" forms champions, and competitiors that would get the billing, over the fighters, even getting more prize money ( I checked out info for an upcoming tourney and saw it to be this way still). The final straw (I guess) was the way the new martial art movie (the name escapes me at the moment, forgive me) was advertised as "A new Kung Fu comedy". Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, and just felt the nedd to spout off to fellow martial artists. What are your feelings about this subject?
Respect to all!
I believe the movie is called, of all things "Kung Fu Hustle". Some title huh. Probably another shot at mocking the martial arts. Sometimes it's best for people not to put their 2 cents about topics they don't understand or do research on. That way you won't come across as an idiot. Best regards and repect in return, Steve

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you start having classes for four year olds, black belts that are 7-8 years old, 2nd degree that are 11 years old. With the emphasis being taken away from fighting, cuz martial arts are more about new age self esteem. AND you wonder why we become the punchline?

Watch the episode of Seinfeld with Kramer in the Karate School

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, lack of respect from non-MA to MA is bothersome. We expect respect in our dojangs and dojos. We expect respect from other MA (even though we don't always get it :)). When we talk to people about MA, we have put forth a great deal of effort and time and expect respect about it. Unfortunately the media hasn't been helpful.

Some movies have done an OK job but add to some myths in martial arts (dodging bullets, flying, one touch techs, etc). TV is the worst. We are mocked, see Jim Carrey and his In Living Color sketch of the Women's Self Defense class, Martin Lawrence, Sanford and Son etc. TV doesn't take it seriously and I think that influences people to not take it seriously either.

I'm not saying that media is the only thing to blame as I think there is a general lack of respect in the world, but it definitely is a significant cause of people's impressions of MA.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
I believe the movie is called, of all things "Kung Fu Hustle". Some title huh. Probably another shot at mocking the martial arts. Sometimes it's best for people not to put their 2 cents about topics they don't understand or do research on. That way you won't come across as an idiot. Best regards and repect in return, Steve

Respect is earned folks, and the commercialization of karate/TKD in the US has spent the “respect” that you think you deserve. It has gotten to the point where I don’t respect most of the arts out there. I have a good friend who studies a traditional karate style under a respected instructor and who competes on the local tournament circuit. Fantastic kata but she can’t fight her way out of a wet paper bag, and she probably has the ring time of one of our purple belts. Promoting her to black is a huge mark against her instructor in my book.

The promotion of kids has done even more harm. It is hard to get respect from someone when they think a "black belt" is something that their 11-year old kid is capable of easily attaining, apparently equivalent to graduating from the 6th grade.

This isn't the fault of the media, we did it to ourselves.

Lamont

PS: Regarding Kung Fu Hustle, it is by the same producer as "Shaolin Soccer" which I must say I thought was a very funny movie, if you get Chinese humor. A heck of alot funnier than the last 6 Jackie Chan made-for-America releases.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you all out. I hate it when people try to test you and mock us. It pisses me off! But, I look at them and blow them off. I usually don't like to advertise that I know MA, but if someone asks then I will say yes. If I advertise then I get teased with, "oh, he thinks he's a bad *** since he knows karate." I would love to advertise that I know the MA and am a proud practioner and everyone who teases and jokes about it can kiss my ___! Television and movies are the worst in advertising MA's. All the comedy shows, thinks it's all a big joke and that we are all wasting our time and money. The only movie I liked so far with MA in it is Jeff Speakman's "The Perfect Weapon".

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
When you start having classes for four year olds, black belts that are 7-8 years old, 2nd degree that are 11 years old. With the emphasis being taken away from fighting, cuz martial arts are more about new age self esteem. AND you wonder why we become the punchline?

Watch the episode of Seinfeld with Kramer in the Karate School
This is very true. I mean think about it, you meet some guy and his only knowledge of martial arts is that his 80lb, 9 year old nephew is a black belt.

Do you really expect him to be impressed when you tell him that you are?

I kind of sucks, but can you really blame the guy?

Edit: Yes, The Perfect Weapon ruled.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All you guys say is true, but in the end its far more important to earn respect for the type of person you are outside the dojo than it is to worry about people respecting your martial arts prowess.

I

Infrazael

Just ignore these people. They are ignorant, and if they are truly bothersome, you can always give them nice shin kick to the legs to shut them up.

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well based on my experiences, people often mock what they dont understand. Do I CARE, not abit ,for it is you that is the one that knows the value of your martial arts training, Personally if respect is given , respect will be recived or felt which ever lol,

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only exposure most people get to martial arts is through:

1. Bruce Lee as this cartoonish stereotype who screamed like a cat half the time

2. The martial artist as this unbeatable warrior incapable of human emotion

3. The nine year old black belts promoted by less than reputable schools to promote the idea that everyone can do martial arts.

As a result, many people have this perception of martial arts as either impossibly difficult or a waste of their time. But keep in mind, for many years the perception of America outside this country was that all of us were cowboys (Thank you John Huston and Ronald Reagan!). So it goes both ways.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let them think what they want. Most people don't know that I'm involved in MA; and that's good - if ever I have to go to blows, I'd like it to be an {unpleasant} suprise.

If I {and Rodney Dangerfield} didn't get any respect before, what changed that I should get it now?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But keep in mind, for many years the perception of America outside this country was that all of us were cowboys (Thank you John Huston and Ronald Reagan!).

You mean we're not?

*puts away six-gun, and takes off Stetson*

I

Isrephael

I feel that this is more of a symptom of the times in which we live. As soon as anything is displayed, the populace at large tries to tear it apart. The symbol for this era is some 400lbs man, cackling and pointing with his Cheeto-stained fingers at anyone trying to establish themselves. We mock our leaders, we tear apart our clergy, we starve our teachers, we substitute regulations for wisdom, and we sue anything that moves.

But, if you're REALLY sick of it: The next time someone mocks you with a "Miyagi-Do Crane Kick" simply shrug and demonstrate why such a manuever is assinine. Once you've kicked his patella to the back of his leg, I doubt he'll continue mocking you. Just be prepared for one of those lawsuits I mentioned earlier.

Latest Discussions