Any advice on Black Belt Form Pyongwong for poomse compittion ????

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In preparation for our tournament that my classes participate in in October I'm changing it up a bit and going to do Pyongwong Poomse. In the past I've done Keumgang and would like to try a higher up form per my 2nd dan and choose Pyyongwong. So any advice on that form that you could give me for poomse competition??

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Watch this video, develop flexibility and practice.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if its a formal WTF rule tournament you cannot do a form higher than your rank?and it has to meet a strict set of technical requirements if not like an open competing against other styles then do as you please and make it more energetic acsentuate your best physical attributes high kicks speed

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Many people in a formal WTF tournament do forms above their rank.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if its a formal WTF rule tournament you cannot do a form higher than your rank?and it has to meet a strict set of technical requirements if not like an open competing against other styles then do as you please and make it more energetic acsentuate your best physical attributes high kicks speed

As a matter of fact WTF poomsae tournaments expect you to perform poomsae two ranks higher than your own.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
great vid. Love the sidekicks.

The imaginary opponent must be 8 feet tall! Going off topic, but why is "higher better", as opposed to a predetermined height? As an analogy, we don't try to punch as high as possible! I realize it's to try to show off a bit, but it seems more form than function. Thoughts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The imaginary opponent must be 8 feet tall! Going off topic, but why is "higher better", as opposed to a predetermined height? As an analogy, we don't try to punch as high as possible! I realize it's to try to show off a bit, but it seems more form than function. Thoughts?

I agree. This is one thing I've always liked about the Chang Hon forms, at least as I was taught them. They specify target areas, and that includes kicking to areas other than the head.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Poomsae for competition, at bb level, is determined by your age not dan level.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't seem to think of any advice specific to this particular form. One nice thing about it is that it doesn't take up too much room so it's easy to practice it in lots of places that other forms can't be practiced, like in a hallway in one's house. One interesting thing about it is that it's a bit shorter than other forms. If the tournament was such that people competed agianst others doing different forms, this might be a disadvantage or an advantage so forget I mentioned it.
My advice for anyone practicing any form is to try to make some decisions about what specific goals you could set or things you could focus on that would make the most difference for you. For example, which do you personally need worse: More "fire in your eyes" or more accurate positions at the ends of your moves?
I don't mean for you to answer the question, but just trying to give you something to think about.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

It isn't, that side kick should be chest level.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are no chest level side kicks in any Kukkiwon form; Koryo has a knee level, the rest are face level.

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are no chest level side kicks in any Kukkiwon form; Koryo has a knee level, the rest are face level.

Correct on Koryo. The first kick is a check to the knee and the second kick is to the head level.

Everyone thank you for the advice. I've done Keumgang for the past two tournaments and want to change it up a bit with Pyongwong. Much to look at and look how precise the movements should be.

Latest Discussions