anti-virus

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am running AVG free edition on my computernow, but I just bought McAfee VirusScan plus. Before I open it, is the free A/V I am using now good enough?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably not, but it depends on how much time and file corruption you can afford to lose to an attack.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I switched from McAfee to AVG. I wouldn't go back if someone paid me.
Seems to update quicker, is less of a pig on system resources, and all the tests I've seen show it to be comparable.

It's the AVS that I've been recommending to my clients for years.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Probably not, but it depends on how much time and file corruption you can afford to lose to an attack.

Let me ask a couple of questions first

Do you have firewall and antispyware software?

Are you connecting with dialup?

Is this anti virus software the only security related software you have?

Now:

I do not know AVG but I do not trust free antivirus software, I have to go with Carol on this.

But I must also say I do not deal with McAfee home version at all and I haven't in years I only deal with McAfee enterprise edition (corporate stuff) and it does a very good job.

For the home I use to recommend Symantec but then I changed to recommending f-secure. I am now researching TrendMicro software for home use but I have not finished testing it yet.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I'm with Bob. I've used AVG for quite a while now and never had a problem. The updates are frequent and their detection engine is better than McAfee's (I've experienced this first hand).

If you're insisting on a commercial product, TrendMicro is the way I would go. Trend has a free scanning engine as well that you can use from a boot disk for those "oh crap" moments.

Basically, be safe when you're on the net. Don't click on suspicious things; let paranoia be your friend. Run a hardware firewall, or at least a software one (not nearly as good, but at least it's something) if you're worried about intrusion.

...And if all else fails, blame Carol. :D

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AVG - CAN'T BEAT IT! Its updated very frequently, it does a fantastic job on scanning the system, its very system resource friendly and its FREE.

I've found that both McAffee and Norton are both memory hogs.

OP
Marvin

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Basically, be safe when you're on the net. Don't click on suspicious things; let paranoia be your friend. Run a hardware firewall, or at least a software one (not nearly as good, but at least it's something) if you're worried about intrusion.
I have the xp firewall, what is a hardware firewall?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AVG is great, much better then McAfee. Don't pay for Anti virus software, Free software is often better.

As for trust, most websites run on free software, Commercial software is usually not secure enough for systems "in the wild"

Anyways, hardware firewalls - Most often for a home system this is simply a router. A router hides your computers from the outside, stops unwanted packets and can filter traffic. For home uses this is usually sufficient. Larger networks will have more complex firewalls, but basically the same thing. I'll be building one later this week. Basically a router, but instead of a little box it is a full computer with much more options, more configurable and more logging.

But free software is good, and while AVG might not be Open source, it's still damn good software, the commercial equivelants can't touch it IMO.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Basically a router, but instead of a little box it is a full computer with much more options, more configurable and more logging.
I used to run a smoothwall Linux based firewall at home. It worked great and I believe had better throughput than my linksys wireless router. The thing I didn't like about Smoothwall was that it didn't have stateful packet inspection. But it NEVER gave me any issues. All I had to do is check it every so often to make sure there weren't hot fixes to be applied to it. I am considering putting it back online whenever I can get my server rack cabinet home.

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've had McAfee and Norton programs crash my system and would'nt use either if I had to.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I used to run a smoothwall Linux based firewall at home. It worked great and I believe had better throughput than my linksys wireless router. The thing I didn't like about Smoothwall was that it didn't have stateful packet inspection. But it NEVER gave me any issues. All I had to do is check it every so often to make sure there weren't hot fixes to be applied to it. I am considering putting it back online whenever I can get my server rack cabinet home.

I'll be heading the IP Cop route myself :)

But I've pretty much come to realise that commercial software has it's place, and the place is not in security :D

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
You also got to keep in mind that when people create a new virus, one of the first things they do is test it against Norton (symantic) and McAfee and then fiddle with it until those two don't immediately recognize it...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Marvin said:
I have the xp firewall, what is a hardware firewall?

bascially its any device or software that limits access to/ from a network, a router could be a firewall.

A lot of folks like to use ZoneAlarm, another free piece of software that is VERY effective at preventing intrusions. The only issue is that the first time you access the Internet with a program Z/A will prompt you to allow access or not. BlackIce is another nice software firewall and runs about 40 to 50 bucks.

As far as AVG - yes it is free, but it has gotten excellent write ups/ reviews as far as free anti-virus protection and it does automatic updates.

Its intall uses a small footprint, just about 30 Mb and only runs 4 processes in memory; a plus for folks with an older machine.... or for anyone that doesn't want their system clogged up with memory hogs.

A side note; folks that setup a computer and attach to the internet without having any anti-virus/ firewall protection can start to experience intrusions within about 15 minutes so it really doesn't matter if you have dial-up or a high speed connection. There are computer hacker snots out there with nothing better to do then find and setup zombie machines to carry out their dirty deeds.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's entirely automated. There is no "guy" sitting there trying to break into your system. It's a program, designed to search for and exploit holes.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually there are a lot of people out there trying to break into systems.

Also the time for an unprotected system to be compromised is now less than 15 minutes.

If it is high speed such as road runner it can be quicker than Dialup only because Dialup when shut down is no longer connected to the web and road runner is always connected, regardless of computer state, there is always something there for them to see.

A router is a good thing, but not infallible.

If you want security of a PC you need various levels, a router and a firewall for example. And of course a virus scanner and in today’s world probably something to fight spyware. However it is best if these products do not all come from the same vendor.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
It's entirely automated. There is no "guy" sitting there trying to break into your system. It's a program, designed to search for and exploit holes.

The word I'm looking for is ...... "hacker" as in the little crap heads that write up the code that is used to probe the hundreds of ports on hundreds of machines that are used for exploitation purposes. so yes there is a "guy" sitting there trying to access systems.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a hacker. :)
Real hackers have other names for the scum bags who write viruses and do damage to your system. Most of them are listed in our profanity filter. :)

Latest Discussions