answer plzzz

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The novice looks for whats differnit, the master looks for what is similar" - Sensei/Sifu Wes.

If you can find places were Nin Jitsu and Wing Chun are similar (either in a technical aspect or a conceptual one), then you must be a master, in some regard.

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
"The novice looks for whats differnit, the master looks for what is similar" - Sensei/Sifu Wes.

If you can find places were Nin Jitsu and Wing Chun are similar (either in a technical aspect or a conceptual one), then you must be a master, in some regard.

you mean different right?

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
i guess all martial arts have some similarities but i never heard that WC and ninjutsu might be similar before you brought it up.i really know nothing of ninjutsu and only a little about wing chun to be honest

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score

Ashida Kim looks more of a scam than the Nigeria Lotto!?!?!?!?!?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think that Ninjutsu and Wing Chun share much in common other than the fact they are both martial arts .

I see much more similarities to Wing Chun in things like the FMA's , Silat , and Krav Maga in my opinion.
Although it would be cool to hide in a river underwater breathing through a reed.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

The thing is that it depends what you call Ninjutsu...

Ninjutsu has different components. The hand to hand (taijutsu) component is very similar to koryu jujutsu. Simple grab, hit, throw, lock strategy. That is another story...

The weapons are in the spirit of kobudo.

There are many branches and flavors of ninjutsu. I share my Academy with a Ninjutsu group. Very nice, hard working peoples.

All in all, Wing Chun training is very different. Yet in the end, it all boils down to the individual instructor and the training environment that they have.

That is most important.

Why do you ask, Mr. HooT?

Juan M. Mercado

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From your other thread, for completions sake (quoting myself, by the way).

Hi,

We'll go into a little detail so you have an idea of why you are getting the answers you are. To begin with, the similarities:

Wing Chun is said to have been developed by a nun named Ng Mui, who fled the Shaolin Temple after it was razed. She eventually taught her skills to a young woman named Wing Chun, and named her personnal style after her young student.

Withing Ninjutsu, the Gyokko Ryu is said to have been originally based on the martial skills of a Princess, or Lady-In-Waiting from the Tang Dynasty Court, later brought to Japan by Cho Gyokko (also known as Yo Gyokko, possibly one person, possibly a group).

So these two arts are virtually unique in Martial Arts in that they are originally developed by women, rather than men (and to clarify, many other systems have had female heads, most notably a number of Koryu systems of Naginatajutsu, such as Toda-ha Buko Ryu, Yoshin Ryu, and Tendo Ryu, but no others that I know of that were founded/developed by women).

Both Wing Chun and Gyokko Ryu teach that protecting the centre of your body is very important (within Wing Chun, the basic posture has your hands in the middle of your body, protecting your "centre-line", in Gyokko Ryu, most postures have one or both hands over your heart to protect it).

Both systems involve weaponry as well as unarmed combat, again the comparrison with Gyokko is probably best. Wing Chun teaches Butterfly Swords and Long Pole techniques, Gyokko Ryu was famous for it's sword, knife, and bo techniques. But they are used quite differently, and we'll deal with that soon.

The tactics used could be seen as similar, but the application rules this out. It woul be like saying that boxing and tae kwon do are the same because they both strike.

So now to the differences. First off, although I have focussed on Gyokko Ryu so far, that is only because it has the most (superficial, though they are) similarities to Wing Chun. They really are nothing alike.

Wing Chun postures are very upright, and feature a 50/50 weight distubution, wiht the body facing forward. The hands are kept central, and relatively close to your body, with one slightly forward. Ninjutsu postures are predominantly one foot in front, with your weight between 70/30 and 60/40 back, depending on the system and/or posture. One hand is often extended, with the other held back to guard, or be cocked for a strike.

From these postures, the movement is quite different. Wing Chun has very minimal footwork, relying on handwork to deflect/trap incoming strikes, and counter strike. Ninjutsu, on the other hand, utilises a greater focus on footwork, using principals of angling, and distancing to primarily evade incoming strikes and attacks, often with a damaging "blocking strike" to create an openning, and similar footwork utilised to enter and strike or grapple.

Wing Chun is a primarily striking system with a bit of grappling added in (usually refered to as "trapping"). Ninjutsu, being a Japanese art, has much more grappling involved, with a repetoire of throws, chokes, limb controls etc, as well as having a larger-than-typical focus on the striking side of the art.

With regard to the weaponry, the simple fact that we are comparing a Japanese system with a Chinese art lends itself to huge differences. Without going too much into it, Chinese weaponry tends towards faster movements with lighter weapons (due to lighter armour being worn), and the Japanese having heavier weapons tend toward larger, heavier actions to cut through the heavier armour. This is a generalisation, but is accurate enough for this purpose.

So, essentially, there are a few very superficial similarities, but no real connection or similarities for consideration. Hope this helps.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Greetings.

The thing is that it depends what you call Ninjutsu...

Ninjutsu has different components. The hand to hand (taijutsu) component is very similar to koryu jujutsu. Simple grab, hit, throw, lock strategy. That is another story...

The weapons are in the spirit of kobudo.

There are many branches and flavors of ninjutsu. I share my Academy with a Ninjutsu group. Very nice, hard working peoples.

All in all, Wing Chun training is very different. Yet in the end, it all boils down to the individual instructor and the training environment that they have.

That is most important.

Why do you ask, Mr. HooT?

Juan M. Mercado

Oh, and just to clarify, Taijutsu simply means "body art/techniques", and the technical characteristics differ depending upon the specific system. For example, Koto Ryu is mostly striking with very little grappling, whereas Takagi Yoshin Ryu is almost all grappling.

As for the weaponry, kobudo mostly refers to the weaponry of the Okinawan martial arts, such as karate. The weaponry is very different from those found on the Japanese mainland, with a very different method of use, and very different types of weapons.

As for many branches, authentic Ninjutsu is only found is schools which trace themselves back to Hatsumi Masaaki, head of the Bujinkan. The Bujinkan itself is made up of the teachings of 9 separate systems, a few of which are Ninjutsu, the others are samurai classical arts.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a friend who is black level at ninjitsu and her movements are very very similar to wing chun

Youtube can help you only so much - much of the wing chun stuff on there is poor and very varied.
You will probably be hard pressed to find any two wing chun clips (from different federations) that are similar, let alone ninjitsu and wing chun lol

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to be sure, I mean no disrespect to your friend, but if what they are doing is similar to Wing Chun, then it is very possible that they are studying a bogus system. I have never seen any form of Wing Chun that looks anything like authentic Ninjutsu from any legitimate group. Oh, and the spelling "ninjitsu" is usually a dead giveaway. It is not a real word.

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Chris

Thanks very much for that insight

i was just watchin a few youtube vids and sometimes these *authentic* clips look a bit similiar with each other, to a certain extent that is
so i was just curious

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a problem. By the way, I would be a little doubtful of any "authentic" Ninjutsu that looks like Wing Chun. Probably Ashida Kim, Haha Lung, Frank Dux, or any of a number of other less than legitimate persons...

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
yea, see the thing is ill be going to Japan, China or a slight maybe, Russia

and wherever country i go to i would like to learn their martial arts.
no where in Qld for me cause i live wayyyyyyyyyy away from any cities

Latest Discussions