Another New Member

DKohler

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here, but not to the martial arts. I’m a 6th Dan with the Yom Chi Taekwon-do Association. We practice Chang-Hon Taekwon-do and we were fromerly with the ITF.

I am currious about how the search for knowledge within the martial arts community has changed since the advent of the internet and the greater availability and use of information in today’s society. On another Bulletin Board I possed a question about how the members there received their instruction and almost one-half (48%) of those who responded indicated that they did not have any one person that they called their Instructor. This statistic (although a very limited number) surprised me. I assumed this percentage would be much, much lower. My martial arts experience (over 20 years now) has taken more of the “Eastern” approach to receiving instruction. While I enjoy gaining knowledge from many sources, my Instructor (Sahbum) is the one who I look toward to shape my overall Martial Art base. He has agreed to take the responsibility to mold and train me, and I know that if something is a miss he will correct me. The traditional “student-instructor” relationship in the "Eastern" sense is sometimes described more as a “mentor–disciple” relationship that extends beyond kicking and punching inside the gym into one's personal development outside of the dojang as well.

My question is this: How many here are involved with traditional "student-instructor" training methods versus those who have chosen a more “freestyle” approach to learning, and which overall direction does the martial arts community seem to be heading currently?

Just currious...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and happy posting I'm all about training with people, video is out in my mind

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Hope you enjoy the board. I train in the standard student-teacher format. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey: Okay, I already greeted you... I just like using the :wavey:!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like that question, but you need to realize that the audience over the internet is not representative of the martial arts community that actually trains.
NOTE: MARTIAL TALK IS NOT INLUDED IN THE NEXT PART OF MY POST.
Most of the people posting on the internet are 14-20 year old "martial arts wannabees" who have never really trained more than a few months at a local school, of which they can't remember the name to. They get their "training" from pics online and by watching Yugio and Cowboy Beepop.

This is a good place to ask that question, but be careful which sites you get information from.

AoG

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome and happy posting! I thoroughly enjoy practicing with other people, myself.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings (again :wink1:) DK, it's good to have you with us. I second AoG's comments heartily. Every single serious student of the MAs I know—and there are more than a few!—trains in a traditional instructor/student format and wouldn't have it any other way.

Think about it like this: there are between four and five million internet sites which deal with quantum mechanics. What are the odds that someone could actually learn QM by poring over some subset of these sites at random? As compared, say, to studying it with a physicist who'd been doing it for more than a quarter of a century before you showed up in class?

The problem is in this case, or with MA, or anything else, there is a huge mass of undigested, uncoordinated information available, but no `master curriculum' specifically designed to take you from complete beginner level to the frontiers of knowledge. Even if all the raw materials were there... you couldn't put together such a curriculum for yourself, precisely because you don't already know the subject matter! You don't just need a fount of information (which the Web is), you need a guide (which the Web most definitely is not). So IMO the Web will always play a supportive second-fiddle role to the instructor who's been there, done that and has a coherent picture of the best route from novice to mastery. I don't think that will ever change, in the MAs or any other branch of knowledge and skill.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to MT

I agree with Exile. (Getting to be a habit this Ex.)
I for one have an instructor who I look to for my guidance and instruction in TKD, I trust him to tell me what I need to know completely, I take his lead in researching methods as well... but I always bring my findings to him and question the validity of them with him. I go to him for my personal training too, so he's an intructor in the proper sense of the word to me. I would not dare disrespect him by going elsewhere for instruction without his knowledge.

Most of the people in my class seem to be like this, although I can't say that without question.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My question is this: How many here are involved with traditional "student-instructor" training methods versus those who have chosen a more “freestyle” approach to learning, and which overall direction does the martial arts community seem to be heading currently?

Just currious...

I have a very close student-instructor relationship with my kenpo instructor, but when I felt I wanted more in depth instruction in weapon techniques, I sought out another instructor in another style for his specialized knowledge. I now study under both. Is that a "student-instructor" or is that "freestyle?" If I wanted to focus on ground-fighting I'd go to my friend who is a black belt in BJJ. I'm guessing that under your definitions this sort of training is what you would view as "freestyle" despite the fact that I have close relationships with all of these instructors. If not, I'm not sure what your "freestyle" definition is.

Lamont

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

I also have one sahbomnim, and will always have one. I agree that the close instructor-student relationship is something that can not be replicated or replaced.
I look forward to your future posts!

Latest Discussions