Another New Guy

JackJack

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been asked to come here and introduce myself. My name is Franklin. I am a software developer in Kemah Texas area. I am 42 years old and have a life dream of sailing around the world (we call it cruising). Just a month ago I knew absolutely nothing about martial arts but I felt by learning a proper style designed for self defense, that would make my cruising life safer, especially since it's not practical to take weapons with me and I will not be able to speak the language of most places I visit.

As you can tell, I have a little flaw in me, that I have a great drive in me to correct things that are wrong and also injustice. This flaw has gotten me into trouble in the past but nothing I could not handle, however, that is in safe America where I blend in. In other countries I am a target because I am a white American.

I did my research and have decided on American Kenpo. I thought a lot about Krav Maga but in the end, I decided American Kenpo was best for my goals (being able to handle myself against a group of 2-4 smaller guys).

I found a great teacher who is teaching me AK and I am enjoying it very much. I am devoting 5 nights a week for 2-3 years in hopes to become very effective if I ever need it. One night is class for 2 hours with one being personal instruction. Two nights in the gym working on speed and strength. Two nights practicing fundamentals and techniques.

I have come here to learn. I don't know much, but what I do know, I will voice it if I feel it is different then what is being said here. If I am wrong, I will admit it and no better way to find out you are wrong then to try to defend your ideas against a group who know more :)

I come to you with ideas, my words typed. I have no weapons but if I am force to defend my ideas, I will use my mind and hands to type words to defend my honor :)

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi JackJack, welcome to MartialTalk. :) My mother and step-father have a sailboat and spend quite a bit of time sailing, though their trips are not far away. I'd say a week is about the longest they have ever been gone.

I wish you peace in your journeys - I've always found that respect and kindness translate well in any language.

All the best to you~

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello Franklin, and welcome to MT! I look forward to seeing you out on the threads!

Latest Discussions