And just like that, gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey there, I know i don't really "belong" in KMA forum, but you guys have been having a really interesting discussion so I thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents.

Personally, I didn't use my real name and didn't feel comfortable for a while telling anyone for one particular reason.

If I make a huge mistake or act like a jackass unintentionally then that's out there on the net for everyone to see and if things are read out of context I would sound like a real tool.

When I joined MT, I was really upset about what some people were saying about my teachers and I responded with poorly constructed arguements based on my own misperceptions of what was going on. What I should have done was simply explained to my teachers that some people were saying some stuff that I felt needed to be addressed (eventually one of my teachers did come to MT just to clear up a few things).

If I had posted my real name, then anyone who did a google search for me would come up with these old posts that make me look uneducated on martial arts and I would not seem like a person worth being around.

Obviously a lot has changed since 2006 or whenever I first started posting, and I'm now comfortable to tell people who I am if they ask.

But until they do, I'm quite happy pretending to be a japanese fictional swordsman :wink1:
You're a wandering swordsman and are welcome to wander over here to the KMA page. Personally, I like the outside perspective.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just a sidenote:

There is a user named 'Karatemom' on here. Not very active but also a member of my forum and resident of the big city nearby...

Just to throw that in... :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a sidenote:

There is a user named 'Karatemom' on here. Not very active but also a member of my forum and resident of the big city nearby...

Just to throw that in... :)
I know her. Thought that that was who KaratemomUSA was at first, but once I read his/her first post, it became apparent that it wasn't. Isn't her name Stacy?

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know her. Thought that that was who KaratemomUSA was at first, but once I read his/her first post, it became apparent that it wasn't. Isn't her name Stacy?

Daniel

I am pretty sure, yes.

And she is not at all controversial ^_^

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although there was no evidence of anything wrong happening in Karatemom's case there is always a doubt about men who use female usernames motives in doing so. It seems in this case it was just a user name, maybe even his wife/gf's account but it does send up alarm bells when a male 'poses' as a female though the reverse isn't true funnily enough. A sign of the times sadly that one has to be suspicious about such things.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although there was no evidence of anything wrong happening in Karatemom's case there is always a doubt about men who use female usernames motives in doing so. It seems in this case it was just a user name, maybe even his wife/gf's account but it does send up alarm bells when a male 'poses' as a female though the reverse isn't true funnily enough. A sign of the times sadly that one has to be suspicious about such things.
I didn't really care about the gender presentation, nor do was that really the issue.

The main issue was that he/she was apparently a specific individual and when asked outright, refused to confirm or deny. The individual in question is supposedly a noted ITF historian with some kind of agenda. Not familiar enough with the person in question to say more than that.

I was a bit surprised to see the 'account under review' status, which indicates that there may have been an ID issue outside of just the username.

Daniel

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have always been willing to be open about my name....It is just nobody bothers to ask. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't really care about the gender presentation, nor do was that really the issue.

The main issue was that he/she was apparently a specific individual and when asked outright, refused to confirm or deny. The individual in question is supposedly a noted ITF historian with some kind of agenda. Not familiar enough with the person in question to say more than that.

I was a bit surprised to see the 'account under review' status, which indicates that there may have been an ID issue outside of just the username.

Daniel

There's no reason for you to be bothered about the gender issue but online safety is a consideration for others. It may have been a bit more of an issue than you realise though. Depends what name the person signed up under not the username they chose.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was clear that "KarateMom" was knowledgeable.

Not in my opinion. All Mr. Mom did was misstate things primarily from General Choi's autobiography and the Modern History translation and then comment on them. I saw no original information, thinking or conceptual understanding behind any of the posts. I personally learned nothing from my "exchanges" with karatemomusa, other than to be reminded how distasteful it is to think about General Choi for prolonged periods of time.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not in my opinion. All Mr. Mom did was misstate things primarily from General Choi's autobiography and the Modern History translation and then comment on them. I saw no original information, thinking or conceptual understanding behind any of the posts. I personally learned nothing from my "exchanges" with karatemomusa, other than to be reminded how distasteful it is to think about General Choi for prolonged periods of time.

Haha, I think you’ll miss her the most. Who are you going to argue with now?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha, I think you’ll miss her the most. Who are you going to argue with now?

Hardly. I don't miss him/her at all. And I am not into arguing, especially with people who don't have their facts straight. It's a waste of time.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
curious to know, what was it that led you to believe it was/is George Vitale?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
curious to know, what was it that led you to believe it was/is George Vitale?

It was the biggest non-secret among the ITF members on MT. There were hints and clues all over the place, including in what he wrote. I just put it together and figured it out.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't mind people knowing my name, as I am not embarrased by anything I post. I don't go by the moniker so I can say crap I wouldn't say to anyone face to face. I try not to post anything regarding martial arts that I am not familiar with and if I do post somehting that is just my opinion, I'll state that it is an opinion. My sifu knows my online moniker and I'd not want to face him if he caught be BS'ing :) Besides that, I like to think I have some integrity.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note

This thread is being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions