Anatomy of the Knee

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
If you are kicking air with non power kicking But speed and controled kicks where you do not over flex the knee Yes you may not injure it. But power kicks in the air over extend it and make it weaker and weaker over time. I dont know of any past instructors From years past that did not develop knees problems. As back when I started training that was 34 years ago. Most schools punched and kicked hard in the open air. It was not smart. I have known several that had problems later with both knees. It took me about 7 years to have to have surgury on my knee. And since then have trained much smarter no more full power kicks in the air. And do not instruct useing any power kicking other then shield and bag work. AND have had less knee problems and NO students with knee injurys from kicking.

I agree with your statement. Repetitive kicking for strength training is not power kicking. We do those on the bags or shields too. Our instructor does make black belts demonstrate kicks in the air for testing so therefore they have to practice it that way. Not good. I stopped doing those too a long time ago. Too risky to do a jump 360 spin heel, round, side, etc. in the air over and over. After ten of those, it is risking another joint dislocation. TW

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yikes my knees are feeling very tender just reading thsi stuff :waah:

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey guys just a newbie to this site but lookin for answers big time ive dislocated my knee more than fifteen times (thats just the big real sore ones) i first did when i was 16 im now 27 and practise ninjutsu im scared of an operation cause your defenseless when your drugged up (probably y i dont sleep much) does any one know any strengthening exercises its thursday now and i just popped it out again on tuesday doing a hip throw (on the smallest person in the dojo )man it was painfull any way any tips out there its my inner side that my knee falls to, any help would be appreciated
thanks heaps

ps sorry bout my writting school wasnt as important as trainin

centerline

White Belt
Reaction score
Lisa.... thank you it is on my favotites... Martial artist / skier / mover
Thank You......

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've just had an arthroscopy done on my left knee - i sustained damage to my patella and MFC cartilage. The injury actually took a couple of months to get to critical point - it grumbled along for ages. During this time i was finding in my classes (Ba gua zhang) that the lower hip walking really settled it down - i'd purposely do more circle wakling in between more demanding exercises to stop it hurting. Unsure why this worked, perhaps by engaging the quadraceps muscles and stabilising the knee that way? Anyway, i'd recommend Ba gua circle walking (proper lower hip walking, not just regular walking!) to anyone with dodgy knees :)

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had my knee go reverse on me an man you talk about being a cry baby after that i have swore never to ever end up sick again. Was at work when it happened accident that they end up having to pay for there failure to put up a mirror so one could see around the corner but i tried to stop this pallet weighing about 3000lbs. Then my knee went this hurts this ain't happening.

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, i'd recommend Ba gua circle walking (proper lower hip walking, not just regular walking!) to anyone with dodgy knees :)

Qi-tah, how do walk using said method? I've got some problematic knees too. They're not as serious as some other cases, but they click a lot.

Thanks.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Cruciate ligaments are not meant to be used as stabilisers on their own for the bones. Cruciate ligaments contain a high degree of nerves sensitive to movement. Therefor they shoot info back to the spine and as a reflex your muscles tighten. To prevent extraordinal movement of the bones.

Good knees need strong muscles. Not only quadriceps, but also hamstrings. As they work together as a couple. First quadriceps contracts, followed by milliseconds by the hamstrings. So that the quadriceps doesn't pull the knee in overextension.

So squats are good for martial artists.
Just passing the info :)

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Knees and Backs tend to be major problems. Unfortunately for me I have major lower back pain!! Guess being involved in Martial Arts and EMS doesn't help huh? :p

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All too often we as MAist sustain injuries to our knees and often we will post here about what we had torn, dislocated, etc.

I found this website that explains the function and anatomy of the knee complete with pictures so that when one of us explains our injuries the rest of us can perhaps understand more about what happened to the joint. I am hoping that it will help us better understand the seriousness of our injuries and how to help ourselves heal quicker and smarter.

Knee Joint Anatomy and Function
Appears to be a bad link. "404 page not found".

jesscold88

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the information, it seems to me the knee is something that hurts me too often) now I will not worry so much

Latest Discussions