An Ip Man Movie

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not know much of the man's history so I would like to see the movie if it ever comes out

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember reading about him when he was profiled in Inside Kung-Fu...Interesting man, interesting life...I'd love to see that movie

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder how accurate it will be. As I understood it the last years of his life his students took advantage of him and his fame; posing him with people, making films of him when he was just too tired ... I dunno maybe my memory is bad here. It couldn't have been imagined because I DO recall reading something, somewhere about how bad it was for him in the last years of his life. :idunno:
Seeing how it's Hong-Kong cinema, they probably will gloss over or totally not mention anything along those lines.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno maybe my memory is bad here. It couldn't have been imagined because I DO recall reading something, somewhere about how bad it was for him in the last years of his life. :idunno:
Seeing how it's Hong-Kong cinema, they probably will gloss over or totally not mention anything along those lines.

I read the somwhere that he suffered in his "Golden Years"..I never read anything negative about his teaching days...William Cheung was a student that helped IKF fill in the gaps about IP's life..No negativity

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Originally Posted by MA-Caver
Seeing how it's Hong-Kong cinema,
That part makes me a bit nervous as to authenticity.

My fear is seeing Ip Man flying through the sky fighting all he sees.

The old style Cablefu of the Hong Kong Cinema
I read the somewhere that he suffered in his "Golden Years"..I never read anything negative about his teaching days...William Cheung was a student that helped IKF fill in the gaps about IP's life..No negativity
Exactly, while it's sad it's supposed to be represented. IMO it helps us appreciate the man even more and helps prevent this from happening to future MA-Legends (as it were)... Look at all the over blown hype about Yip-Man's most famous student. Then Wong Fei Hung had tons of movies about his life... how much of THAT was true to life?
Sometimes true to life is more exciting than cinema and sometimes cinema makes it more exciting than true to life.
So yeah, there's going to be some hesitancy about this film. May be good may be crap... maybe somewhere in-between. :idunno: have to wait and see.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wong Fei Hung .

This one always interested me from a few different POV.

One of those is this. Sun Lutang apparently had a very similar situation and fought a lot of foreigners, mainly Japanese and was not defeated by any of them nor was he poisoned. So why have they not made a move about him yet, apparently Taiji, Bagua, Xingyi and living a long life are not as exciting.

Exactly, while it's sad it's supposed to be represented. IMO it helps us appreciate the man even more and helps prevent this from happening to future MA-Legends (as it were)... Look at all the over blown hype about Yip-Man's most famous student. Then Wong Fei Hung had tons of movies about his life... how much of THAT was true to life?
Sometimes true to life is more exciting than cinema and sometimes cinema makes it more exciting than true to life.
So yeah, there's going to be some hesitancy about this film. May be good may be crap... maybe somewhere in-between. :idunno: have to wait and see.

Form what I am told Wong Fei Hung's death was not exactly how it was depicted in any move about his life. Bruce Lee was an incredible martial artist in my opinion but he never finished his studies of Wing Chun with Ip Man. I recently saw a movie about Yang Luchan from Chinese Cinema and talk about inaccuracies, did you know that Yang Luchan fought his way to the top of a pagoda much like Bruce Lee did in his last movie :rolleyes: or at least that is what the movie showed. But there actually were some real live Taiji applications in the movie and it was very entertaining just not all that truthful.

It is sad that many movies are dramatized when in many cases the real story is very interesting. I am still looking forward to the movie about Ip Chun but I feel will just sending on one of my usual quests for reality and the “upset my wife” copious book purchases to figure out reality from cinema legend stuff

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is sad that many movies are dramatized when in many cases the real story is very interesting. I am still looking forward to the movie about Ip Chun but I feel will just sending on one of my usual quests for reality and the “upset my wife” copious book purchases to figure out reality from cinema legend stuff
:lol: Well, just say: "But honeee, it's for research purposes so that the kids of the future get the right info..." (or maybe you can come up with a better lame excuse than that one).

There is an excellent book out called History In The Movies http://www.stfrancis.edu/historyinthemovies/ examines what is really going on with how history is portrayed in cinema.
As this example with the film "The Last Samurai" http://www.stfrancis.edu/historyinthemovies/lastsamurai.htm

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks I will add that to my list of “upset my wife” copious book purchases.

A bit off topic but it is to inacuracy in film.

One of my favorite historical as well as Geographical inaccuracies was a movie title "Krakatoa, East of Java" when in reality Krakatoa is west of Java.

EDIT
One of my fears with the Ip Man movie is that it will end up starring Jason Wu Jing. Nothing against Jason Wu Jing, but he is I believe rather tall to play Ip Man

2nd EDIT
OH and Jason Wu Jing is very much NOT trained in Wing Chun

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
If the production company doing the movie is out of hong kong, will we ever get to see the movie here in the states? How long will it take to make it onto DVD here in the U.S.?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If the production company doing the movie is out of hong kong, will we ever get to see the movie here in the states? How long will it take to make it onto DVD here in the U.S.?

I have no idea; I will likely buy it in Beijing the next time I go there anyway, assuming it is out by then. But taking into the way Hong Kong can roll out a movie it likely will be.

I was amazed at some of the Jackie Chan movies that were released here YEARS after they were releases in Hong Kong and the rest of China.

So you may be right it may not get here and if it does it may not get here for a while.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As usual trailers only show the best clips and for movies like this it'll be what will draw the crowds... the fighting scenes. It is hoped that the excitement of the fights will be tempered by a good (and accurate) story line of the more "quieter" times of the man's life. Maybe it's me but I'm finding myself wanting more of a story than action in a movie.

By the way there is another thread related to this movie/topic... http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69055

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't wait to see Ip Man do Drunken Wing Chun or a butterfly flip into a split while doing chi sao... jeeeeeeeeez......

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Given who Donnie's mother is (Bow Sim Mak), his other movies where he is very rarely wired, his actual and very good martial skills, and hopefully a script that tells the true story rather than the many Wong Fei Hung movies and the Fearless movie (though good, not historically accurate), maybe we can hope for the best. There are enough really great Wing chun masters left who trained with him to validate or not. Let's hope!!

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Given who Donnie's mother is (Bow Sim Mak), his other movies where he is very rarely wired, his actual and very good martial skills
I've been trying to find out more about Donnie Yen's Wing Chun background, but I can't find anything, not even who he trained with. Does anyone know, or can anyone point me to a link?

Latest Discussions