An introduction/delurking and a greeting.

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, All! I hope I am posting this in the right place and not making some sort of fool of myself.

I'm Hyaena and I am not myself a martial artist, though I have a deep respect and almost an awe for the arts. I am an author that is doing research for a novel I am writing in which the lead character is a practitioner of Pencak Silat. I am looking for the most accurate and respectful way to get this across to the reader. I do not want to fall into the trap of writing a 'Hollywood' martial artist.

I am absolutely open to questions about the work and about me personally. My intention is not to be exploitative, for all that I want and intend to sell books. If anything, I want to celebrate this fascinating art and enhance interest and appreciation for it.

I am almost always online for anyone that would like to know more about me or help me in pursuance of this quest. :wavey:

OP
Hyaena

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
I know it is. I saw a demo when I was in the Navy for Desert Storm—we were in the Philippines at the time. I've been fascinated by all the Silat styles ever since. I want to just... immortalize them in what I am doing. I give everyone permission to laugh at me for being a fangirl for that, but it's the truth!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck. I'm not going to be much use unfortunately. :)

OP
Hyaena

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
The welcome alone means a lot!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've said elsewhere -- look into the author Steve Perry's writing. He often features Silat...

OP
Hyaena

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
I just took a look and am reading over his blog a bit. Thank you so much for that! Having some context alone is helpful.

burleighgirly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Hyaena, I've posted a reply in the Indochinese MA section. Sorry for taking so long after your original post, just catching up after Christmas/New Years.

OP
Hyaena

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
I also got your private message, Burleighgirley! It's okay; I think the holidays were a slow time for lots of folks. On top of that, I got really sick, too!