An interesting realistic read about M.A.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess in the end the general public just sees the black belt and assumes he is right.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the current atmosphere engendered by political events and social media, of shouting down and ridiculing people's views, it's become quite common for people not to say anything now when they feel something is wrong. You have to be quite brave to go against the flow these days.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Given the current atmosphere engendered by political events and social media, of shouting down and ridiculing people's views, it's become quite common for people not to say anything now when they feel something is wrong. You have to be quite brave to go against the flow these days.
Err... does not compute. too many people are voicing their opinions, which is a sign that it is common for people to not voice their opinions? Bzzzzt... error. Error.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with that, but I still find it amazing (from my very different perspective) that the spectators don't see the lack of coordination and balance. What they do lacks what people like to see in sports, movies, and dance. I'd have thought they'd recognize that lack. But then, my viewpoint is very far from theirs.

Martial arts is mostly set up to favor the shams. If we validate martial via stories then my lie will always out perform you truth.

Actual martial arts isn't very effective and takes time and hard work to learn. And nobody has time for that. We all want to defeat three guys armed with knives. Not spend five minutes trying to get out from under a fat guy.

And if as was mentioned there is no consequences to creating a bunch of duds then it makes sense that these sorts of schools do better.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Martial arts is mostly set up to favor the shams. If we validate martial via stories then my lie will always out perform you truth.

Actual martial arts isn't very effective and takes time and hard work to learn. And nobody has time for that. We all want to defeat three guys armed with knives. Not spend five minutes trying to get out from under a fat guy.

And if as was mentioned there is no consequences to creating a bunch of duds then it makes sense that these sorts of schools do better.
Add to this that it's a lot sexier to believe you're a ninja than to believe you're a mediocre grappler or MMAist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Add to this that it's a lot sexier to believe you're a ninja than to believe you're a mediocre grappler or MMAist.

Dealing with being mediocre is a hard lesson to learn.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must admit....I do enjoy watching new white belts and/or their parents trying to figure out how to tie their belts.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We get a lot of martial arts tourism. Whenever someone is in the area they will quite often drop in and do some training.

It is very comon with the bjjers.We get boxers kickboxers and mmaers as well. The karate club turns up from time to time.

Every bjjer who turns up with us just wears their respective belts. we pretty much roll every class. So it is a way of getting a guage on what other clubs are doing and what their standard is at.

That way we get to know the good clubs to drop in on if we are abroad.

This is not uncommon in Aikikai Aikido as well. I travel a fair amount and have been to multiple schools. It helps being exposed to different thoughts. We also have frequent seminars, and there is no shortage of different interpretations and training available.

Being in a town with a world famous medical center, we've had several people who practice elsewhere just drop in while they are in town.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm curious; What were your thoughts on the skill level of the Grandmaster of the school discussed in this thread? Do you think someone like that should be teaching people martial arts in such a fashion?

Refresher:

My ribs hurts.... from laughing so hard.. I have tears in my eyes... oh my gosh, I really needed that.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, I've got to ask. TSDTexan, what's not to like about the above post?

Error. Smartphone entered the wrong value when I hit the like button.

Sorry for the mistake.
Carry on.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw a post on a forum or the like a little while back that may clear up some confusion on WMAA "Karate" (as they sometimes call themselves). They're actually TKD, but I think "Tae Kwon Don't" is far more accurate. Pretty sure it was Reddit. The poster was a former student. The gist of what he was saying...

"Headmaster" Dealy (the founder, 9th dan) is a headmaster at a private school in Brooklyn, NY.

Most of his students are kids from the school, their families, friends, etc. The majority of the adult students are the kids' parents. Some of the adults stick around after the kids leave, and some kids and parents train together for a long time. There aren't videos of the kids probably due to privacy/protection reasons. That's a good thing IMO.

They do everything with maximum speed and power, because they're taught speed and power defeat attackers. When they're doing kata, they visualize the opponent in front of them and overwhelming them with maximum speed and power. SD situations are chaotic, therefore their training is too.

I'm not agreeing in any way, shape nor form with their philosophy. Makes sense on paper, but what they're actually doing falls flatter than anything I've ever seen before in MA.

They're not special needs people. They're just very confused, misled, whatever else hobbyists. They're not die-hard MAists looking for the ultimate truth. They're mainly a bunch of people "doing karate" with their kids while socializing and getting exercise. Sure, I'd imagine some of them take themselves seriously. But most are out to have fun. I doubt very few of them have any aspirations of being the next cage fighter, Mas Oyama, Bruce Lee, or anything else.

Saying all that, I still think it's absurd and hilarious. I don't feel bad laughing at them. They put themselves out there. I don't think it's appropriate to get personal, but I sleep just fine at night having a good laugh at them. Where the line is between having a good laugh and personal attacks is up to critic, I guess.

Watching those guys never gets old. My only complaint is that they occasionally refer to themselves as karate. THEY'RE TKD! Just when Karate was cool again, these guys have to come along and ruin it for us all. I could live with that if they were really karate, but they're not. If you're going to ruin an art's reputation, at least have the decency to ruin the reputation of the art you're TRYING to practice.

But I'll live to fight another day.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw a post on a forum or the like a little while back that may clear up some confusion on WMAA "Karate" (as they sometimes call themselves). They're actually TKD, but I think "Tae Kwon Don't" is far more accurate. Pretty sure it was Reddit. The poster was a former student. The gist of what he was saying...

"Headmaster" Dealy (the founder, 9th dan) is a headmaster at a private school in Brooklyn, NY.

Most of his students are kids from the school, their families, friends, etc. The majority of the adult students are the kids' parents. Some of the adults stick around after the kids leave, and some kids and parents train together for a long time. There aren't videos of the kids probably due to privacy/protection reasons. That's a good thing IMO.

They do everything with maximum speed and power, because they're taught speed and power defeat attackers. When they're doing kata, they visualize the opponent in front of them and overwhelming them with maximum speed and power. SD situations are chaotic, therefore their training is too.

I'm not agreeing in any way, shape nor form with their philosophy. Makes sense on paper, but what they're actually doing falls flatter than anything I've ever seen before in MA.

They're not special needs people. They're just very confused, misled, whatever else hobbyists. They're not die-hard MAists looking for the ultimate truth. They're mainly a bunch of people "doing karate" with their kids while socializing and getting exercise. Sure, I'd imagine some of them take themselves seriously. But most are out to have fun. I doubt very few of them have any aspirations of being the next cage fighter, Mas Oyama, Bruce Lee, or anything else.

Saying all that, I still think it's absurd and hilarious. I don't feel bad laughing at them. They put themselves out there. I don't think it's appropriate to get personal, but I sleep just fine at night having a good laugh at them. Where the line is between having a good laugh and personal attacks is up to critic, I guess.

Watching those guys never gets old. My only complaint is that they occasionally refer to themselves as karate. THEY'RE TKD! Just when Karate was cool again, these guys have to come along and ruin it for us all. I could live with that if they were really karate, but they're not. If you're going to ruin an art's reputation, at least have the decency to ruin the reputation of the art you're TRYING to practice.

But I'll live to fight another day.

This thing they do....
Is right there with....

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't know if I should've rated it funny, like, or agree. Funny was my first thought, so I went with it.
It's was meant as humorous observation.
So it's valid either way

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome article....if this were 1994. But nearly 25 years after UFC 01, where you can do anything you wanted to beat someone down and win the whole event, this has been long proven and accepted. Oh wait, I forgot where I was for a moment :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome article....if this were 1994. But nearly 25 years after UFC 01, where you can do anything you wanted to beat someone down and win the whole event, this has been long proven and accepted. Oh wait, I forgot where I was for a moment :)

Using the early UFCs which were 'biased' towards certain people winning (worked fights)probably isn't a compelling argument.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Using the early UFCs which were 'biased' towards certain people winning (worked fights)probably isn't a compelling argument.

Didn't see any specific argument, just a blanket statement.

Latest Discussions