An Intensity Challenged Person

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I'm reading what he said, that she's a 2nd Dan who has problems with board breaking, she is good at everything else. The OP thinks being aggressive is the answer to breaking boards, says she's too timid with them. He didn't say she needs to spar more aggressively just that she needs to learn to break boards. Quite simple really.

Ok, you are right I am wrong. You obviously know more about this than I do.
Good Luck

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, you are right I am wrong. You obviously know more about this than I do.
Good Luck

I'm reading what the OP wrote which is "By far, her strength is where I fall short. She is one of those people who get out there and make everything look super smooth, calm, fluid, and graceful. But her greatest weakness is in intensity. During her second degree test she failed to break several of seven boards with predetermined strikes. Still, even with less than fifty percent in breaking she still had a high overall score."

It's her board breaking skills that need bringing up to speed. he says she had a high overall score except in breaking. He thinks it's her intensity, others who are experienced say it's not, she needs to learn to do it better.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading what the OP wrote which is "By far, her strength is where I fall short. She is one of those people who get out there and make everything look super smooth, calm, fluid, and graceful. But her greatest weakness is in intensity. During her second degree test she failed to break several of seven boards with predetermined strikes. Still, even with less than fifty percent in breaking she still had a high overall score."

It's her board breaking skills that need bringing up to speed. he says she had a high overall score except in breaking. He thinks it's her intensity, others who are experienced say it's not, she needs to learn to do it better.
Isn't power related with breaking things? That's all I'm thinking here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't power related with breaking things? That's all I'm thinking here.

You don't need 'intensity' or aggression though to use power, power comes from doing techniques correctly. If you want to break pieces of wood practice, breaking pieces of wood. If you want to kick effectively you practice kicking not punching. I think you are over thinking this and making it far more complicated than it needs to be.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep. I've seen sweet little kids who are super nice and not very aggressive at all break boards like a mofo, because their technique was good. Now, dude's girlfriend may lack confidence, may be afraid, and thus is (consciously or subconsciously) holding back on using her full power and ability when trying to break boards. So improved "intensity" might help with that - but I think that just practicing doing the board breaks a lot of times until she can do them comfortably and easily will help more.

Here's my "intensity" tip for board breaking - yell before you start your board-breaking technique, and then yell again while striking the board. Visualize your target, which is not the surface of the board - it's on the other side of the board. That will help you put your power deep into the board instead of shallowly hitting it. I find telling people "don't hit the board! go through the board and hit me!" helps with that.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You don't need 'intensity' or aggression though to use power, power comes from doing techniques correctly. If you want to break pieces of wood practice, breaking pieces of wood. If you want to kick effectively you practice kicking not punching. I think you are over thinking this and making it far more complicated than it needs to be.
Yes you need intensity and aggression to hurt things. You are just speaking of focused and subdued aggression. Fool, your intensity and aggression are merely mixed in, subdued, hidden and dissolved into what you do. To never have had it means you wouldn't even throw a punch.
If this woman is incredibly meak and weak jointed, she needs high volume high intensity strength and endurance training. Bear crawls and duck walks (butt off heels of course) and handstand holds for long durations, push ups and pull ups, squats, heavy carries (sandbag with weighted vest?), sandbag throws (forward, behind, to the left, to the right) just catch it if it's going to land on her or something. If you want to give her something less intense give your static postures that require strength like horse stance, handstand hold, plank with hands slightly forward to engage lats and abs quite well. The more agony the better results. When it starts to burn is when it starts to count.

And have none of you seen the video of the chicks leg snapping backwards on a leg press machine? Constitution and tiny postural muscles are everything. Focus on strength and durability. Don't take anything for granted. Arrogance masked in humility! It's just ignorance.