An Aikidoka's controversial journey into MMA: Is it helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed

As in, you're not.

Neither is any MMA or sport fighter

Thus, picking on traditional martial arts rooted with ancient warriors because you think you can kick their *** in the octagon at the UFC is absolutely asinine.
But aikido isn't ancient warriors, and the conversation isn't just about the ufc. All people are asking is some sort of evidence that aikido would work. In any scenario (including street fights), that what aikido teaches would be effective.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed

As in, you're not.

Neither is any MMA or sport fighter

Thus, picking on traditional martial arts rooted with ancient warriors because you think you can kick their *** in the octagon at the UFC is absolutely asinine.
And for the record, since you seem to be implying it, i'm not a sports fighter. And i doubt I'll ever choose to change that. So im not making any claim i can beat someone in the octagan, since i have no reason to believe that. But if someone is stating their art is effective for self defense, i want to see some sort of reasoning behind it, that makes sense.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Riiight

Because Americans today are the baddest warriors ever to live.

In fantasy land.

Where you're apparently from.

That's really the epitome of ignorance and arrogance
What's funny is the guy you're saying is a fake badass for being American..... is Canadian

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But aikido isn't ancient warriors, and the conversation isn't just about the ufc. All people are asking is some sort of evidence that aikido would work. In any scenario (including street fights), that what aikido teaches would be effective.
Aikido wasn't invented recently. It was simply modified for sport recently. So as a sport alone its excellent. You don't put Muay Thai Boxers with Western Boxers or MMA fighters for a reason they're different sports.

Tae Kwon Do today is a sport with roots in actual War. Making fun of the Viability of an art that was created in Ancient times not for fun but for actual necessity is just stupid.

Likewise, Aikido was something of a Police Force tactic used to disable and subdue armed or unarmed combatants meaning to kill you.

If you want to enjoy Aikido as a sport, go play with other Aikido practicioners. If you want to do western boxing, you simply won't have fun in a ring with a Muay Thai Boxer.

Saying you can beat either of them simply because your choice of sport allows more types of strikes and grappling is just a dumb observation & a statement of the obvious.

Obviously you're going to have to maximize the rules of the sport. Doing only Aikido in no holds barred sport fighting is like going to play basketball with your football cleats and gear on.

Its really just not where you belong. But one is no better than the other They're different sports with different rules.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Riiight

Because Americans today are the baddest warriors ever to live.

In fantasy land.

Where you're apparently from.

That's really the epitome of ignorance and arrogance
What are you even responding to?

You see, the time traveling comes in when the aikidoka time travel back thousands of years to fight the samurai(is Tom cruise in this one?)

I assume that's how they got there as aikido wasn't founded until 1942.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh boy we've got our new monthly trouble maker here

Right. If trouble seems to follow you, it might be you.

The UFC is a Joke. Stop pretending its the example of a real warrior and the ultimate expression of being anything but guy in tight underwear trying to punch someone in the face as much as he can until his brain separates from his skull and makes him forget how to dress himself for the rest of his life

Its not even on the same page as most Martial Arts. Its creating rules where the winner is free to punch people in the face a bazillion times or teabag him into submission and nothing more

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What are you even responding to?

You see, the time traveling comes in when the aikidoka time travel back thousands of years to fight the samurai(is Tom cruise in this one?)

I assume that's how they got there as aikido wasn't founded until 1942.
That's one simpleton hillbilly perspective. Good on you.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, as wanker, life is a bit different than that of a warrior

Claim to be as badass as you want to be. You're not proving anything until you are engaged in mortal combat And if you are engaged in mortal combat, you're simply lucky enough to be living after the engagement regardless of your skill level. Nobody who lived in Feudal Japan considered themselves a badass. That title is reserved for Americans on television.
My favourite guy is sub zero

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
27ca3eb543e02ddf076e15d19d1498c4.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aikido wasn't invented recently. It was simply modified for sport recently. So as a sport alone its excellent. You don't put Muay Thai Boxers with Western Boxers or MMA fighters for a reason they're different sports.

Tae Kwon Do today is a sport with roots in actual War. Making fun of the Viability of an art that was created in Ancient times not for fun but for actual necessity is just stupid.

Likewise, Aikido was something of a Police Force tactic used to disable and subdue armed or unarmed combatants meaning to kill you.

If you want to enjoy Aikido as a sport, go play with other Aikido practicioners. If you want to do western boxing, you simply won't have fun in a ring with a Muay Thai Boxer.

Saying you can beat either of them simply because your choice of sport allows more types of strikes and grappling is just a dumb observation & a statement of the obvious.

Obviously you're going to have to maximize the rules of the sport. Doing only Aikido in no holds barred sport fighting is like going to play basketball with your football cleats and gear on.

Its really just not where you belong. But one is no better than the other They're different sports with different rules.
This is just factually incorrect. Aikido was invented by morihei ueshiba, and not for the purpose of sport. It came from daito ryu, which may or may not be a samurai art, so if your argument is that daito ryu has proven effectiveness, that's one thing. But no one is arguing about that, since aikido is a different art, and was not made purely for sport.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No.

You're not a badass. Take that away with you
Neither are you buddy you're just some guy trying to talk tough online. In my experience the people who have to talk the most like this are the weakest

Status
Not open for further replies.