Q? on rebreakable boards, tiles, bricks

J

jkdhit

has anyone tried them? if so, what do you think? how do they compare to the real thing?

the reason is because we're going to be having a fundraising event at my college and i'm in charge of the equipment so i'm deciding on whether to use real boards or purchase rebreakable boards, tiles, or bricks

thanks

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fund-raising?

So how would you do that? Would you have people try out breaking them, or is this a type of an exhibit for people to watch the martial artists do board-breaking?

- Ceicei

OP
J

jkdhit

no theres going to be other sections, i just wanted to know about the rebreakable boards, tiles, and bricks

its going to be open to martial artists in the college, all styles and rankings are welcome

theres going to be free form, (foam) weapon free form, sparring, (foam) weapon sparring, breaking, and creative breaking

OP
S

sifu Adams

I would say if you are going to have the fundraiser use the real stuff. People that don't know a lot about the arts will look down on the rebreakable. Even though when you first get them they are hard to break. they loosen up as you reuse them. I got them this year for the first time because we were going to a tournament where they had board breaking. my students wonted break and the rebreakable boards helped me save money. I like them but for a demo. I use the real stuff.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also rebreakables tend to be less forgiving. Miss the sweet spot, and it's going to still be there, right where it was when you started your breaking attempt. They're also more expensive than the matierials they're emulating.

As far as demos and tournaments go, something else to consider is that wood and real bricks etc do have others issues. You need loads more of those than you do rebreakables which means you need to set aside time for setup and finding room for the needed storage space, and they generate a lot of waste. (immediate stuff like a splinters/debris on the floor to the remains of the boards etc)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is supplying the pine boards? Are they being provided by the tournament host? There are easy pine boards and then their are some boards than can be very difficult to break and still be 1" pine. You need someone knowledgeable about board breaking to pick out the boards.

I wouldn't use the rebreakables either. When they are new they are hard to break and also you have to have excellent technique. But a large or muscular person may find it easy to get through it. And possiblly wreck the rebreakable's fingers....then the board is no good.

Concrete patio tiles are all different too. It depends on how they were made-stone/cement mix ratio, how fresh etc. I have seen a stack of new patio brick just crumble at a tournament and upon examination, saw that they were not cured yet and still wet. I usually just get mine and ask how long ago a particular batch was made. Within a few weeks is good. Cured but not so hard. TW

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To be cost effective if it is a Fund raiser you usually can get real boards donated by the local lumber yard. I have done 5 fundraisers and the local 84 lumber has donated over 400 boards every time. You just offer to place their name in your advertising. Besides Rebreakable boards like listed above are unforgiving and if you are having anyone that is untrained break you would better go with real.

OP
J

jkdhit

thanks for the info guys, im going to try checking the local lumber yard

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree totally. If you research you will find that the re-breakable items are costly. #1 Pine at 1" thick isn't that costly, try not to get anything else then #1. There are #2, and #3 out there but has more knots in them. If it is for a fund-raiser then you would want to conserve money spent in order to raise the funds you are aiming for.

OP
J

jkdhit

yah i know the rebreakables are costly but i wasnt sure on the durability over extended use because i was thinking if the schol invested in it, they wouldnt have to buy normal pine in the future but after everyones opinion, it seems unwise to go with rebreakable

Latest Discussions