Am I missing something

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the same as "those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves" :)

Yes that's them, in a minute there's a programme on the BBC I'm going to watch it's about Mary Whitehouse, a campaigner for decency etc. She managed to see 'dirty sex' and other digusting things in just about every TV programme that was on. Sometimes the rest of us never realised there was something rude about a song, programme,book etc until she pointed it out to us!! Of course she could watch these things without being influenced but the rest of us couldn't. We had to be protected. Among the programmes she campaigned against were Tom and Jerry and Doctor Who.
Actually I wonder if the OPs old dear was an American cousin of Mary Whitehouse!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes that's them, in a minute there's a programme on the BBC I'm going to watch it's about Mary Whitehouse, a campaigner for decency etc.

Ah yes, even this parochial American knew about Mary Whitehouse, thanks to her immortalization in the lyrics of Pink Floyd's "Pigs."

"Hey you, Whitehouse
Ha, ha, charade you are
You house proud town mouse
Ha, ha, charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?
You got to stem the evil tide
And keep it all on the inside
Mary you're nearly a treat
Mary you're nearly a treat
But you're really a cry"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes that's them, in a minute there's a programme on the BBC I'm going to watch it's about Mary Whitehouse, a campaigner for decency etc. She managed to see 'dirty sex' and other digusting things in just about every TV programme that was on. Sometimes the rest of us never realised there was something rude about a song, programme,book etc until she pointed it out to us!! Of course she could watch these things without being influenced but the rest of us couldn't. We had to be protected. Among the programmes she campaigned against were Tom and Jerry and Doctor Who.
Actually I wonder if the OPs old dear was an American cousin of Mary Whitehouse!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse

One of my kids watches a show called Oswald and it is the most calming, innocent, kid friendly show I have ever seen but I am betting if this person of whom you speak ever saw it they would be appalled by some of the words that if taken out of context could be seen as obscene. I get a kick out of these people, but then this is stuff of another post

Or "those who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do"

or

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.
-- Plato,

oh no... sorry that is different :D

I just had to fit that in somehow "my political statement for the day", sorry

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
ok... who came in here and deleted posts?

Shouldn't you at least own up to that? Especially when you delete posts that weren't inflammatory, and were within all of your rules?

Pretty poor IMO.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No one "deleted" anything. There were two pages of posts that were off the original topic and in danger of derailing the thread. They have been moved here should you care to continue that particular debate.