Alternate training suggestions requested

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So .. it looks like I'm going to be out of jiu-jitsu for a couple of months. Got a finger (right hand) broken during sparring yesterday. I'm going in for surgery on Friday to have the pieces screwed back together.

I figured that I can spend some time knocking the rust off of my kicking skills. However I'm going to get bored just kicking the heavy bag for hours each week. Anyone have any fun suggestions for training exercises I can do over the next 2-3 months that involve no use of or contact to the right hand at all?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any one-handed weapons work from knife to "off-hand pistol."

51Fj9URmLNL._SY398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51kbLm9EQwL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

wwii_gi_pistol_m1911.jpg

Sorry to hear about your injury. Prayers offered for a speedy recovery.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh man. Sorry to hear about the injury. Tough break (haha). Get well soon and hope it heals up better than new.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So .. it looks like I'm going to be out of jiu-jitsu for a couple of months. Got a finger (right hand) broken during sparring yesterday. I'm going in for surgery on Friday to have the pieces screwed back together.

I figured that I can spend some time knocking the rust off of my kicking skills. However I'm going to get bored just kicking the heavy bag for hours each week. Anyone have any fun suggestions for training exercises I can do over the next 2-3 months that involve no use of or contact to the right hand at all?
See if you had forms you'll still be able to practice forms lol. You can work on fundamentals like footwork and learning to read the actions of your sparring partner. You can do this without making contact and do it from a defensive perspective.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have someone to practice with try:
blocking, parrying, and leading someone into wrist locks/arm locks that can be done with one hand.
Try some Aikido type throws
Best of luck for a fast recovery from your injury

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
See if you had forms you'll still be able to practice forms lol. You can work on fundamentals like footwork and learning to read the actions of your sparring partner. You can do this without making contact and do it from a defensive perspective.
Bad timing. I was going to start trading lessons with Yak Sao next month. If this happened in the spring I might have had the first WC form to practice while I recovered.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have someone to practice with try:
blocking, parrying, and leading someone into wrist locks/arm locks that can be done with one hand.
Try some Aikido type throws
Best of luck for a fast recovery from your injury
I'm going to do minimal partner work until I've healed enough that accidental bumps to the injured hand aren't going to be problematic.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something academic. Sports nutrition. Psychology. Do a teaching course?

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a few basic tai chi exercises that I'll be working into my regular routine, but if any of the tai chi folks here want to make suggestions I'll be all ears.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now is a good time to master those one armed push-ups :) but then you'll just have to even it out later.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bad timing. I was going to start trading lessons with Yak Sao next month. If this happened in the spring I might have had the first WC form to practice while I recovered.

Talk about timing, we're kind of in the same boat.
I took a hard fall through my ceiling while up in the attic last month and busted a couple of ribs, banged up my hip and dislocated my middle finger on my right hand. Ribs and hip are better but I still can't make a fist with my right hand and any contact to it pretty much drops me to my knees.
So....up for a game of chess ?

Latest Discussions