Almost an incident yesterday!

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bod said:
I absolutely agree with SgtMac here. Report the incident to the police.

Next time he aproaches you in this way, you will be legally entitled to a pre-emptive strike. This is because if you reasonably believe that someone is about to strike you then you may take action under the UK self defence laws. (Don't take my word on this. Look it up in something like the Police Law Primer. It's always best to know first hand.)

Of course, you have to prove that you have reason to believe he will strike you. That paper trail will back you up, and make life so much easier. Also this guy may just walk away when he realises you wish to operate inside the law. It happens more often than you think. If he still comes after you then the pre-emptive strike will surprise him. After you've hit him go to the police with whatever you've got there (such as any threats he shouts, etc.). I don't like the idea of pr-emptive striking but if the guy has thrown rocks against you it is not really pre-emptive at all to hit him before he has a chance to hit you.

Second check the shop window. If it is broken go into the shop and ask the manager if he has reported it to the police, which he may have done for insurance purposes. Add your information once you've got the crime report number.

Don't forget this kid may have an ASBO out against him, or your information may add to the granting of that ASBO. This may take him off the streets for a while if he defies it.

Remember the UK police can be a pain for the public to deal with. This is mostly down to a difficult to use computer system and a shift system which means it is often hard to get hold of the relevant person twice. Keep your crime report number handy, and be patient yet persistent. If the phone operator is not being helpful call back later.

I once reported a stolen bike. Of course all the police could reasonably do was record the event. Six months later when I saw my bike chained to some railings I was very glad I'd gone to the trouble of making that report, as it enabled me to get my bike back eventually. So it's worth it just making the complaint.
The person in question, has plently of ASBO's against him. He's got a nice long criminal record. I would report him as you say, however that would show I would have been breaking the law as well as I'm about 3 weeks underage of being 18 (legal drinking law). Not only that there were three other underage people with us so we could get rather stuck on the legal front.
Mmmmm, we were not making any trouble so in essence we are the victims of a unprovoked attack and cannot really use the police to help us. Makes you think really! :whip:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This illustrates the universal rule that bad people tend to attack people who are outside the law.

Once you get perceived as inside the law this sort of thing just fizzles out.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
The person in question, has plently of ASBO's against him. He's got a nice long criminal record. I would report him as you say, however that would show I would have been breaking the law as well as I'm about 3 weeks underage of being 18 (legal drinking law). Not only that there were three other underage people with us so we could get rather stuck on the legal front.
Mmmmm, we were not making any trouble so in essence we are the victims of a unprovoked attack and cannot really use the police to help us. Makes you think really! :whip:
What does your drinking have to do with the incident. It did not happen in a bar. Really, there is no reason to even discuss the drinking with the police, as the incident occurred on a public street and had no direct connection to drinking. To borrow a term from the common lexicon, "Don't ask, don't tell".

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
What does your drinking have to do with the incident. It did not happen in a bar. Really, there is no reason to even discuss the drinking with the police, as the incident occurred on a public street and had no direct connection to drinking. To borrow a term from the common lexicon, "Don't ask, don't tell".
The only thing being that the person taking the notes could simply say, "ok son, what were you doing out at that time of night?". I could simply say that I was out having a good time with a couple of friends sure, but the fact they are going to check my details if I do lodge a form could mean that somebody could simply turn around and say
"Well, you were under the influence of drink, how do we know that you did not start this whole thing off, not only that what were you out drinking underage anyway?"

Would not be so bad if I didnt want to be a Police officer myself, but I've got 4 months before I go to university to study "policing", dont want to ruin those chances.

Regards