Aikido vs Double Leg TD.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been smoked grappling by women grapplers in class before. (And I wouldn't have a problem getting smoked in competition by one, either.) But I don't think they should ever compete against each other, even in the same weight class.

And I tell, ya, I've been around a lot of guys from Brazil. Can't even imagine them allowing women and men competing.

Not allowing women to compete with men only holds womens leagues back. They have nobody to compete with and the standard is generally worse.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First video is a Style vs Style take down. The takedowns are done as someone who practices Aikido would do. Takedowns should simulate (as best as possible) what one would get during a real conflict, and if possible the practitioner should simulate takedowns (as best as possible) that are done in other fighting systems. Take down defense is not a one size fits all. The first video would be more like a concept video and a discussion on technique and not application.

The second video broke my heart. That child was totally unprepared and untrained to defend against a takedown. The blame for that lies completely on the teacher. I could go into detail about the second video but it wouldn't provide value. It would be like me doing a double leg take down on an 8 year old and trying to validate my technique.

The only thing I will say about the second video is that the guy was gentle and the girl learned a couple of valuable life lessons.

UFC 1: on November 12, 1993.

So we have seen wrestling, bjj, sambo etc for about 23 or 24 years now.

She is wearing a blackbelt.

I'll agree that her instructor(s) are to blame, and it's inexcusable.

I am saddened that she had to learn in this venue, what her instructors failed to teach her in the classroom.

If her school didn't have curriculum to prepare her for what she faced, then she shouldn't have been in the tournament.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am saddened that she had to learn in this venue, what her instructors failed to teach her in the classroom.

If her school didn't have curriculum to prepare her for what she faced, then she shouldn't have been in the tournament.

Why?

She wasn't hurt. Just taken down and subbed. That is not exactly the end of the world.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is incorrect lifting.

images
When people shoot on me I try to position their body in a way that causes them to lift my weight improperly. I don't try to stop the lift as much as I try to redirect the lift. Much of this is done by sinking my weight around my opponents shoulders or neck.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I hope her parents now question the training and why she has a black belt. Maybe it will be an eye opener that allows them to have a better perspective on their daughters abilities to defend herself through martial arts through the school.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When people shoot on me I try to position their body in a way that causes them to lift my weight improperly. I don't try to stop the lift as much as I try to redirect the lift. Much of this is done by sinking my weight around my opponents shoulders or neck.

Not sure what you are describing there.

As far as body position you want to aim your belly button towards them. As well as other things.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite defenses, and honorable mentions.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why?

She wasn't hurt. Just taken down and subbed. That is not exactly the end of the world.

The point being a unprepared student could just as easily, have found her self trying to protect her self from be drug into an alley, or van... and facing a thug with some wrestling background. And having a horrific outcome to the scenario.

In the US, wrestling is subsidized by a huge number of middle and high school districts.

In the 2010/11 season, about 274 thousand boys participated in a high school wrestling program.

U.S. boys/girls high school wrestling participation 2009-2016 | Statistic

I doubt that out of a quarter million boys.... 0 % would go to the dark side. I would like to think that they would all become men of honor... but that's idealistic, not realistic.

Yes, she got educated in a tournament, but the fact is that I am fairly confident that she had been ready for a different kind of fight, and her teacher was nearby watching...
He felt she was ready.

McDojo victim?
Perhaps... but my gut feeling is that she thought she was prepared to face a real world fight.
(Granted it's conjecture on my part)

And it would be the instructor's responsibility in this regard.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My favorite defenses, and honorable mentions.

I am starting to feel like this is a bait thread. Or i am getting punked or something.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point being a unprepared student could just as easily, have found her self trying to protect her self from be drug into an alley, or van... and facing a thug with some wrestling background. And having a horrific outcome to the scenario.

In the US, wrestling is subsidized by a huge number of middle and high school districts.

In the 2010/11 season, about 274 thousand boys participated in a high school wrestling program.

Probably not just as easily.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My intentions were nothing of the sort.

Did you watch Demetrius Johnson fight in the UFC on the weekend?

Do you think he defended double legs with rolling kimouras and what not?

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably not just as easily.

According to United States Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States
there were overall 173,610 victims of rape or sexual assault, or 0.1% of the US population 12 or older in 2013

In 2013, according to InfoUSA.com, there were 20,234 businesses under Karate & Other Martial Arts Instruction and Martial Arts Instruction.

Presumptions.
Average dojo had 50 students.
Half of all dojo's did participate in tournament that year.

Assuming that all karate practitioners that went to a tournament that year... were female... you get 50k women competing.

We know that women are not 100% of karate participants.

So assuming 50/50 male female numbers...

No greater than 50k but more like 25k women / girls competed in a karate tournament.

So ya.. by my estimate... just as easily if not more so.

Which should drive my point home.

In this day and age... a black belt should know some viable measure of takedown defense.

Otherwise, broken art.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you watch Demetrius Johnson fight in the UFC on the weekend?

Do you think he defended double legs with rolling kimouras and what not?
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

But when you do it with style, flair or panache... you make your more than a mere technician... you are an artist.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure what you are describing there.

As far as body position you want to aim your belly button towards them. As well as other things.
When it comes to lifting people up, you can only do it with proper structure. If I force your body to lift incorrectly you won't have the strength that's needed to lift me. In addition any attempt to successfully lift me will result in injury. In short, if I can prevent my opponent from using their legs to help up root me, then I can force them to use their back in a bad way to lift.

In sparring my sparring partners are aware of the bad lift and as a result they bail out. I have yet to have someone see it through and to be honest I don't blame them. It's not worth straining the back. You have to keep in mind that I weigh 200lbs, so lifting that much without the use of the legs is asking for a back injury.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

But when you do it with style, flair or panache... you make your more than a mere technician... you are an artist.

You are an artist on his back though.

Latest Discussions