Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-16-18-55-39.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-16-18-55-39.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 119

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see. Sorry, I study Okinawan martial arts, and I am not familiar with that type of weapon. I am sure someone here can assist you. Best of luck and welcome to MT.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will buy a Dao and i want to ask :
What webside?
How long?
How taught?
What material?
Thanks
What is a webside?
How long depends on your arm length really and or how tall you are.
How taught? I don't understand.
What material depends what you are using it for, what style do you train in.
I would ask your sifu for guidance.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to Dao, there are 2 main options. You can get a "wushu" Dao which are usually made out of sheet metal, very thin and are used by Wushu performers because it's so light that you can spin and wave it around as fast as you like. Alternatively you can get a "realistic" Dao made out of proper steel of the correct weight. You won't be able to swing it around like the "Wushu" Dao, but it will be more realistic for traditional style training. DaDao's usually come as a standard size with very little variation so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Of course it depends on what you plan on using it for. Certain Chinese Styles favour different shapes of Dao based on the form they use. Best to check with your instructor for which kind you need.

OP
A

Adisky

White Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to Dao, there are 2 main options. You can get a "wushu" Dao which are usually made out of sheet metal, very thin and are used by Wushu performers because it's so light that you can spin and wave it around as fast as you like. Alternatively you can get a "realistic" Dao made out of proper steel of the correct weight. You won't be able to swing it around like the "Wushu" Dao, but it will be more realistic for traditional style training. DaDao's usually come as a standard size with very little variation so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Of course it depends on what you plan on using it for. Certain Chinese Styles favour different shapes of Dao based on the form they use. Best to check with your instructor for which kind you need.
I want Wushu that sounds when swing but there are much options like lenght, and so on...

OP
A

Adisky

White Belt
Reaction score
What is a webside?
How long depends on your arm length really and or how tall you are.
How taught? I don't understand.
What material depends what you are using it for, what style do you train in.
I would ask your sifu for guidance.
Webside - intetnet shop
Taught - hardness of steel:
Small - steel is swinging like jelly
Big - steel is not swinging so much

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Webside - intetnet shop
Taught - hardness of steel:
Small - steel is swinging like jelly
Big - steel is not swinging so much
I have never heard of sword speculations used like this in Chinese and or Japanese arts.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really? You've never seen those flimsy toy swords they swing around in Wushu demonstrations?
I have never heard of taught small and big used as specifications. Most people say spring steel, combat steel, carbon or something. I personally never use any but actual steel because I want accurate balance.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never heard of taught small and big used as specifications. Most people say spring steel, combat steel, carbon or something. I personally never use any but actual steel because I want accurate balance.
I think the OP may not be a native English speaker. By "taught", they probably mean "taut", which still isn't the right word, but is at least close enough so that the confusion is more understandable.

Latest Discussions