Aikido is the best self defense

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In a mixed martial arts environment when the right conditions and moment is provided these martial arts techniques are very useful..................

But emphasis is on first defensive and counter standup striking then as the opportunity presents itself as the attacker throws are tired strike attempt at you ( aka lazy hand), you then employ this taking them to the ground for more BJJ tactics e.g chokes etc.

This is what I want to see in the UFC good use of various martial art moves through the start to finish of the fight implemented in a technical and methodical approach when they are needed.

Thats what makes good TV fights ;)

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you ever trained Aikido?
No, why? Is this the part where you tell me I need to do it for 20 years to understand it's true power or something? Dint mean to offend you :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have. The guy tried to do a throw on me and couldn't do it because I held a strong posture. Didnt even resist it or try to fight just stood in a strong stance and gave a solid grab attack.

Now I know that was probably just a bad school but still
Well, to be fair that's not really 'training aikido'. I've sparred against and acted as a dummy for aikido guys, for demonstration purposes...

Maybe it's just that none of them were all that good, but ya..like what you said..it seems to me for it to work I would have to cooperate. As I am not keen on throwing myself, it amounted to a couple guys trying to reef on my arm unsuccessfully.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have. The guy tried to do a throw on me and couldn't do it because I held a strong posture. Didnt even resist it or try to fight just stood in a strong stance and gave a solid grab attack.

If you didn't resist or fight back and just stood there then there would be no reason to use Aikido on you which is why he couldn't throw you. Aikido is kind of a different thing because it focus more on defense then offense it requires you to do something for a technique to work properly. You need to provide energy and force so the techniques will work that's how its designed.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you didn't resist or fight back and just stood there then there would be no reason to use Aikido on you which is why he couldn't throw you. Aikido is kind of a different thing because it focus more on defense then offense it requires you to do something for a technique to work properly. You need to provide energy and force so the techniques will work that's how its designed.
The guy was teaching a defence to a grab. I grabbed he couldn't do it. He was obviously a fake I walked out a few minutes later

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do sorry if it offends you
Nothing on the internet offends me. You obviously have all the answers with your vast 20 min of Aikido training that you walked out of so you can judge what works and what doesn't so carry on....

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing on the internet offends me. You obviously have all the answers with your vast 20 min of Aikido training that you walked out of so you can judge what works and what doesn't so carry on....
Yep got all the information I need from that club when an instructor can't do a technique on someone who's never done it before

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't speak for ma_student, but I personally would be delighted to meet the guy from the school of aikido that can make it work without partner cooperation. As a kid I loved all those seagal movies.

I'm willing to admit that maybe everyone I have sparred that identified as an aikido guy just wasn't as good as they claimed to be. I just haven't seen the evidence.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't speak for ma_student, but I personally would be delighted to meet the guy from the school of aikido that can make it work without partner cooperation. As a kid I loved all those seagal movies.
Thats where Aikido is just different then any other MA. To work the attacker needs to do "something" thats not necessarily cooperation. In a training environment it is cooperation because it A) helps prevent injuries B) allows the student to work on the desired technique. The way Aikido works is by momentum and physics so in order to work the other person needs to provide the energy and motion so it can be redirected and exploited for lack of a better word. Its also not an A.B.C type of style for example in a more main stream style you teach new students Attacker punch and stand still Student when they punch you do A then B then C. Aikido cant work that way so in the example if I grabbed him and stood still in a main stream style the response would be A. B.C. The Aikido response requires the attacker to do more then grab and stand still. Its just different which is why people say it takes alot longer to be able to use it in real life application. Its thrown around as some kind of "excuse" but its not it just is.

I'm willing to admit that maybe everyone I have sparred that identified as an aikido guy just wasn't as good as they claimed to be. I just haven't seen the evidence.
I think most people are not as good as they claim to be.....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, if you stand upright, you're not committing weight. Most "aiki" throws use the weight that's committed. If you stand still, it's time for Judo-style responses. If he was trying to show/perform a specific technique (meaning his options were limited by the drill), then he needs the right input. It's like trying to practice single-leg counters against a hip throw - wrong input for the technique, and the technique will fail.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy was teaching a defence to a grab. I grabbed he couldn't do it. He was obviously a fake I walked out a few minutes later
A grab is just what the hand is doing. A grabbing attack is unlikely to be someone grabbing an wrist and standing still. He's either reaching in (weight forward), pulling back (weight back), or striking (could be either, or a side shift). Standing still in a relaxed posture is a non-attack. There's rarely a need to defend from someone calmly holding your hand.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
A grab is just what the hand is doing. A grabbing attack is unlikely to be someone grabbing an wrist and standing still. He's either reaching in (weight forward), pulling back (weight back), or striking (could be either, or a side shift). Standing still in a relaxed posture is a non-attack. There's rarely a need to defend from someone calmly holding your hand.
Then why was the instructor even teaching that then? Shows even more that he was a fraud

Latest Discussions