Aikido in the MMA ring?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then Bas opinion it wont work is irrelevant to the topic

So who's opinion would be relevant? Aikidoka who have never fought in MMA (since we've established that Aikido as a base art in MMA is nonexistent)?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So who's opinion would be relevant? Aikidoka who have never fought in MMA (since we've established that Aikido as a base art in MMA is nonexistent)?
According to you..........

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to you..........

According to fighter histories and stats. I have yet to see any mma fighter have Aikido as their base style.

If you've found some to the contrary, please share.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to fighter histories and stats. I have yet to see any mma fighter have Aikido as their base style.

If you've found some to the contrary, please share.
Im not arrogant enough to believe I know what every fighter in the world is trained in.....................

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im not arrogant enough to believe I know what every fighter in the world is trained in.....................

Okay..... well in the absence of any Aikido-based MMA fighter, Bas' viewpoint becomes extremely relevant to the topic.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think there's a fundamental misconception about what a martial artist is supposed to be. I love MMA, I train BJJ, however I appreciate all Martial Arts and realize they all have different functions and philosophies. I also would never go on a crusade against other styles, BJJ doesn't need a spokesperson to advocate why its the best grappling style, that's what ADCC is for. Everyone's martial arts journey is different, and at its core should be about personal growth and development, not about being the best fighter.

"There is a difference between a fighter and a martial artist. A fighter is training for a purpose: He has a fight. I'm a martial artist. I don't train for a fight. I train for myself. I'm training all the time. My goal is perfection. But I will never reach perfection." - Georges St. Pierre

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I read it as how would her Aikido be helpful if she chose to compete in MMA.

Either way, the basic reality is that Aikido wouldn't serve her as well in MMA as some other disciplines would.
That would be true if her goal were to do well in MMA. If her goal is to improve her aikido, MMA wouldn't be all that helpful. Wouldn't you agree?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would be true if her goal were to do well in MMA. If her goal is to improve her aikido, MMA wouldn't be all that helpful. Wouldn't you agree?

Well a good question to ask is why wouldn't MMA improve her Aikido?

If we are to believe that Aikido is a martial art that can be used in a fight, why couldn't it be useful for MMA purposes? MMA bouts are nothing more than sanctioned fights after all. :)

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

If we are to believe that Aikido is a martial art that can be used in a fight, why couldn't it be useful for MMA purposes? MMA bouts are nothing more than sanctioned fights after all. :)

It MAY improve her Aikido, but it very MAY not. Training MMA requires you to focus on so many things that you will undoubtedly lose some of the time as well as cognitive resources that could be devoted to a single martial art discipline. Also your statement supposes that Aikido's success is solely based on its ability to perform in a fight. I don't know enough about Aikido to make any judgements of absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure the art has much more to it then that.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Different goals, mindset, rules, motivation

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It MAY improve her Aikido, but it very MAY not. Training MMA requires you to focus on so many things that you will undoubtedly lose some of the time as well as cognitive resources that could be devoted to a single martial art discipline.

Eh, not sure I agree with that. As a purple belt in Bjj, I occasionally cross-train with some MMA guys and I find it very beneficial since they'll actually throw strikes at me while I'm grappling them, show me how to mix in striking with my grappling, and I get to practice takedowns a lot more than I do at my home gym. I find those aspects to be very beneficial to my main discipline.

I can't imagine a Aikidoka wouldn't enjoy similar benefits from practicing with a MMA fighter.

Also your statement supposes that Aikido's success is solely based on its ability to perform in a fight. I don't know enough about Aikido to make any judgements of absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure the art has much more to it then that.

I would say that any martial art's success hinges on the belief of its practitioners that it can protect them in a fight. I have yet to run across any MA practitioner who said that their art doesn't teach them how to fight, or how to defend themselves if some burly thug is looking to do them harm.

Heck, Aikidoka themselves relish in the tales of O'Sensei and Takeda Sōkaku's fighting abilities.

Those vary from person to person regardless of MA of choice. Not everyone practicing Aikido has the same goals, mindset, or motivation for example.

Last edited:

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score