Afraid of overtraining

dynamicx

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, i just wanted to know what is too much stretching and what is optimal, i used to do taekwondo 3 years ago, but then i stopped due to feeling small, so i join the gym to build muscle, and now here i am 3 years later bigger stronger but my flexibility is gone to **** and my cardio is no longer what it used to be. And iv allways loved martial arts since i was a kid, and i wanna get back into it and go at it for the rest of my life.

This is what my weekly routine looks like right now, and i would much appriciate it if someone could take a look and maybe help me perfect it. When i do my strenght training im doing 5-8 reps

day1: 35-40 min isometric stretching (morning)
upperbody strenght training (midday)
15min HIIT cardio after workout
35-40 min isometric stretching after

day2: 30-40 min isometric stretching (morning)
taekwondo evening (includes some dynamic stretching preworkout and isometric postworkout)
15min HIIT cardio evening

day3: 35-40 min isometric stretching (morning)
deadlift & squats strength training (midday)

day4: 35-40 min isometric stretching (morning)
taekwondo evening (includes some dynamic stretching preworkout and isometric postworkout)

day5: 35-40 min isometric stretching (morning)
upperbody strenght training (midday)

day6: 35-40 min isometric stretching (morning)
15min HIIT evening

day7: rest

repeat.

Even i think this is way to much, but i feel like it has to be done for me to be able to get flexible and get my cardio back to where it was, and to be able to keep my muscle / strength gains

What are you guys opinion about this ? cheers from sweden (sorry for my grammar)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isnt excessive - Different people have different bodies. I do 1-3 hours exercise every day.
It certainly isnt way too much.
I personally barely do any Stretching or Strength Training. Others need to stretch alot or They consistently injure Themselves.

Its hard to overdo Cardio, dont worry about that.
Isometrics, Id suggest doing 1 day on, 1 day off, from what I know about it.
Try not to Stretch as often - Given the class shedule, Id suggest keeping it to an In-Class thing.
You dont really need to work Your Upper Body twice per week - You could replace the second one with Core or Leg Strength Training.
You dont want to overdo the Strength Training, or Youll be privy to Injuries, or slowing Yourself down.

Your English is pretty good, actually. :)

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
...Its hard to overdo Cardio, dont worry about that.

Agreed :)

...Isometrics, Id suggest doing 1 day on, 1 day off, from what I know about it. :)

I agree, from what I've been taught. Isometrics are great exercises, but at the cost of flexiblity. I'm no personal trainer, but I would do:

Day 1: Isometric and taekwondo
Day 2: Weights & kinetic excerises and running/jogging
Day 3: Isometric and taekwondo
Day 4: Weights & kinetic excerises and running/jogging
etc,
Day 7: rest

With stretching everyday.

But like I said, I'm no personal trainer.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, from what I've been taught. Isometrics are great exercises, but at the cost of flexiblity.
Depends on the exercise - My workouts are comprised about 1/2 with Plyometrics and Isometrics - Isometrics only reduce flexibility if You do target certain muscle groups. I doubt You can make Your arms less flexible, for instance. Your legs, however, can be made stronger as a result of strengthening muscles that are hard to strengthen with other methods. Those muscles can, however, inhibit flexibility. Isometrics also improve Core Strength. That being said, I dont do alot of kicking personally, so I cant say Id notice if it was reducing leg flexibility. Im not an authority on the matter, Im just speaking from experience :)

As an addon, Isometrics without equipment can be done in stages, instead of whole motions. Such as Wall Pushes with a Punch. That, for me at least, improves speed.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never understood threads like these. No offense, but what the heck would any of us know about how many raw eggs you should eat or how many sets of jumprope you should do?

The body builds muscle by tearing it down. You tear down too much for it to rebuild before tearing it down again, and you find yourself not rebuilding. If that happens, slow down. If not, then don't.

You know your body. No one else does. Listen and do what your body tells you.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Overtraining is a term that applies to pro athletes more than it does to you and I. Although there are some exceptions...the best determination is via taking your resting heart rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you still have enough strength to type a question after a workout? Then you are not overtraining.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I studied something about overtraining back in college. If I remember correctly, one of the first symptoms of overtraining is a drastic change in need for sleep. Adesonic and basedonic overtraining are two different things that can happen if a person exercises more than their body can take. One causes a drastic increase in need for sleep and the other causes a drastic decrease in the need for sleep.

Latest Discussions