Advice on getting grass stains out of uniform?

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It hasn't happened yet, but my son and i are attending tkd camp soon(through my studio, they do seminars the whole weekend) and camping plus outside training with white uniforms is a recipe for disaster. Especially when you add a kid in to it. Any advice?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from a little bleach, soak in water and detergent before washing.

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aside from a little bleach, soak in water and detergent before washing.
I can bleach my sons but not mine(I have black itf writing on top and bottom). Guess I've got to be extra careful

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps one of the enzyme products might help. I use one called 'Sard' on all marks on my gi before I wash it
:asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're that worried -- I'd consider purchasing (or defining an older uniform as) a uniform for outdoor training. However -- I did a quick web search, and found several ideas. One or two that struck me in a quick review as good and practical are using rubbing alcohol on the stain as a solvent and using vinegar.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive used vinegar on blood and other stains. Its works ok Ive never tried it on grass stains. If I know we are going to do stuff outside I just wear older junk GIs that Ican toss later or save for the next outdoor adventure

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about grass stains, but Ballen, if you need to get blood out of clothing, use hydrogen peroxide. Please don't ever, under any circumstances, use it on a wound, but it's the absolute best way to get blood out of clothes. This is something I have a great deal of experience with...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about grass stains, but Ballen, if you need to get blood out of clothing, use hydrogen peroxide. Please don't ever, under any circumstances, use it on a wound, but it's the absolute best way to get blood out of clothes. This is something I have a great deal of experience with...
Yeah Vinegar turned it kind of black

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not use it on wounds? I grew up with it -- and met a fight doctor (legit MD) who used it ringside because it was safer to ingest than other stuff to clean wounds.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not use it on wounds? I grew up with it -- and met a fight doctor (legit MD) who used it ringside because it was safer to ingest than other stuff to clean wounds.

Hydrogen Peroxide disinfects through oxidation. H2O2 (note: two oxygen stoms) gets broken down in to H2O and O2 (note: 3 oxygen atoms). How did two become three?Oxygen is a big reactive bully here, stealing ions from any living cells, and destroying the cells in the process.

So yes, it will kill bacteria with a process that is kind of like a controlled burn. The trouble is that it burns you as well. The fizzle and sting is the oxidation of your own flesh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Years ago it was commonly used as an antiseptic and it is still very effective for disinfecting water supplies and equipment like water cooling towers. There are now more effective products available.

Applied to a wound, as well as killing bacteria, it will also kill healthy cells so it can actually worsen the situation. Apart from that it depends on concentration. 20 volume (6%) peroxide will actually burn the skin. (We used to make up peroxide ear drops years back. They were 1.5%.) So if you were to use it as an antiseptic make sure it is suitably diluted. In reality, soap and water is safer and just as effective.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Because it damages healthy tissue. Soap and water. Chlorhexadine is my favorite wound soap. Including mouth wounds.
Drinking HO2 is a good way to induce vomiting. Soap might give you diarrhea the next day. Puking will likely end the fight.
Only time HO2 should be used on wounds is mixed 50/50 with water and used on a Qtip to keep scabs from forming on things that have been sutured.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago it was commonly used as an antiseptic and it is still very effective for disinfecting water supplies and equipment like water cooling towers. There are now more effective products available.

And we used to bleed people to let out the evil humors. :rofl:

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Applied to a wound, as well as killing bacteria, it will also kill healthy cells so it can actually worsen the situation. Apart from that it depends on concentration. 20 volume (6%) peroxide will actually burn the skin. (We used to make up peroxide ear drops years back. They were 1.5%.) So if you were to use it as an antiseptic make sure it is suitably diluted. In reality, soap and water is safer and just as effective.

Indeed. Oxidative disinfectants are very effective when the reaction does not burn the surface. This is a form of bleach.

Bleaches work great for sanitizing my water bottles. Sure, bleaches will clean my jeans too, but at the cost of damaging the fabric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And we used to bleed people to let out the evil humors. :rofl:

Exactly, although I think, in fairness, there might be a little more evidence in favour of the effectiveness of H2O2. ;)

Mind you, the same applies to povidone iodine yet it is amazing that you still see it being used by surgeons the way it is. They swab down with 10% and leave it on. We recommend 1% if you are doing that.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you have to wear your standard white uniform to this camp? We wear dark uniforms to demos for exactly this reason.

Also, I swear by that Oxi-clean gel stuff that comes in a tube, it's way more effective than Shout. Rub it on and leave it for like 10-20 minutes before you throw it in the wash.

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
I think i may be able to help you here! a couple of months ago i somehow managed to get some red ink from a pen in my schoolbag, which by the way prided itself on being "water proof, bleach proof and completely permanent! perfect for signing any documents!". Obviously due to this stain removal was out of the question and so i faced the decision of either buying a new set of trousers (sorry if there's a proper name for them, i'm sure you'll all let me know xD ) or somehow covering the stain up. This however was when i stumbled across a fabric paint especially made for stains. You simply paint it over, let it dry, iron the paint and then wash it. The brilliant thing is after washing the paint is no longer hard or brittle and instead seems to blend in seamlessly with the fabric. Unfortunately i can't remember the exact name but i'm sure you can find it easily enough on amazon or something. Hope this helps !

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yup, our traditional white uniforms are required. There's a grandmaster coming in so to show respect we will where our nice itf ones. The days he's not there we get to wear work out clothes.
Do you have to wear your standard white uniform to this camp? We wear dark uniforms to demos for exactly this reason.

Also, I swear by that Oxi-clean gel stuff that comes in a tube, it's way more effective than Shout. Rub it on and leave it for like 10-20 minutes before you throw it in the wash.

Latest Discussions