Advice on a new school

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://www.warriorswayar.net/

I noticed this school in my area. From the website it appears to be an excelent school. I've mainly done karate and I don't know much about the styles they offer. If someone could take a look and add your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if it teaches the traditional fundamentals and how to blend them all together then it might be worthwhile , just be careful and see if you can watch some of teh more advanced students before you commit to anything. I would also compare and shop around before committing to one place. I shopped around for 3 months before I settled in the school I am in now.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, I think some info. on the instructor(s) as well as the lineage of the styles taught would be good to know. As Arni said, that line does raise some red flags. I mean think about it...how many schools and inst. do we see that claim to teach every branch of the military, this group, that group, etc. They have many MMA champs. Ok..who are the champs?

In a nutshell, the site was vauge IMO. I'm not saying that its a bad school or a good school, but I do think that more info needs to be given in order to really get a better feel for the place.

Just my .02. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what struck me... The instructors aren't mentioned at all. No clue about their qualifications or background. No clue who they are... But lots of pictures from some sort of cookout. NO martial arts pictures that impressed me in my quick review of their galleries.

Take a look. Talk to them. See what they have to say, and decide for yourself.

garycdewitt

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

I am an over zealous web designer....

I think some info. on the instructor(s) as well as the lineage of the styles taught would be good to know.
The head instructor is Brad Garrison. Mr. Garrison has been involved in the martial arts for 25 years staring with ninjitsu. He then discovered the Filipino and Indonesian martial arts. He gained his full instructor status with Terry Gibson in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His direct mentor is Harley Elmore in Wichita Falls, Texas. He is accredited by Guro Dan Inosanto and Guro Chris Sayoc.

Mr. Garrison served in the Air Force Special Services as a para-rescue (PJ).

All the styles are taught by Mr. Garrison and his apprentices.

But lots of pictures from some sort of cookout.
Not a cookout. The pictures are from our annual gathering. 2 days of intense training.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First consider the distance from your home, if it's inconvenient you probably won't stay there long. Next consider the style or art taught and see if it fits with what YOU are looking for. In the end, your financial situation and physical health are the last things to help determine the best art for you.
*starting* take baby steps, don't think of a movie or mma debut. :)

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can only give you my opionion but my father knew this guys instructor, Terry Gibson, and he wasn't too fond of him. A "Bully" was his description. Terry was in ZDOM's school, Moo Sul Kwan, to start with and left after he got his black belt to start his own school. He turned his back on the whole school and he was a pretty good taekwondo sparrer. He went from TaeKwonDo to filipino and chinese karate. Now there is a leap for you. I've always thought that bullys attrack bullys and I would definitely watch out for that if you go and observe a class. There is nothing worse then someone who knows martial arts and uses it to push people around. My BS meter went off too, but you are going to have to decide for yourself. If it works out, GREAT, if not just keep looking you'll find somewhere.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Brian,

Go there! Go and watch.

If you don't see any sweating, no disipline, no effort, well that's a hint. Are the students and teachers uniforms and appearance well kept? Not talking about long hair, but do they keep themseves reasonably well groomed?

Then look at technique. Do they strive to develope good methods? Does it look hokie? Does the techniques they train in have power, speed, accuracy? Good stablity, good balance when moving.

Then look at how they teach. Is it in logical steps? Slow to fast, near to far, least complex methods to more complex ones? Does the whole regime look well thought out?

And does the studio look clean (not fancy, just clean?) Used but not abused equipment?

Things like that matter.

Deaf

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
only to second what deaf said....

go and watch.... forget the cardio, choreorgaphy and the coordination... forget the fast and furios fancy finesse .... look to see if there is something you can with you take into that dark parking lot on your way to your car... look for what you need... not what they think you want

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I cant say for sure one way or the other. I have seen the Air Force para-rescue guys train(swimming) and others things at LAFB here, those guys train hard and furiously. If this gentleman trainned the same way as in the unit/military (with Zeal), then I would say try it out for a month and see for yourself if you could endure/like/enjoy what he might have to offer. It could lead to long learning period.

OP
Brian S

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to go and watch thid friday and see how it goes.

I'll give you a short rundown for those who don't know me.

I've studied American Goju since 1991. Last year I started judo on the side and went to a tournament in may where I tore my acl. I had reconstruction last month and decided not to pursue judo.
My goju school is over an hour away from where I currently live,so I can only visit so often.
Now I'm looking at local schools. I'm not into korean arts, tournaments, or wanting to gain rank. I just want some honest guys to train and learn with. I'm having a hard time finding such a simple thing in my area.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian,

Go there! Go and watch.

If you don't see any sweating, no disipline, no effort, well that's a hint. Are the students and teachers uniforms and appearance well kept? Not talking about long hair, but do they keep themseves reasonably well groomed?

Then look at technique. Do they strive to develope good methods? Does it look hokie? Does the techniques they train in have power, speed, accuracy? Good stablity, good balance when moving.

Then look at how they teach. Is it in logical steps? Slow to fast, near to far, least complex methods to more complex ones? Does the whole regime look well thought out?

And does the studio look clean (not fancy, just clean?) Used but not abused equipment?

Things like that matter.

Deaf

only to second what deaf said....

go and watch.... forget the cardio, choreorgaphy and the coordination... forget the fast and furios fancy finesse .... look to see if there is something you can with you take into that dark parking lot on your way to your car... look for what you need... not what they think you want

I agree...