Advanced Training

OP
A

A.R.K.

I can think of some examples;

If you are proficient in a particular system and then begin training in a different type of system, that could be consider advanced. For example, I have a friend in Uechi-ryu which is a fine system but focuses mainly on the block/strike/kick aspect. Not exclusively but by and large it has no ground fighting/grappling applications. He will soon begin training with me in those areas.

Specialty courses. For example, I am a Police Academy Instructor. I have been very blessed to be able to attend LEO-instructor only courses given by some very elite individuals. This would in my opinion constitute advanced training. You can appreciate the opportunity to spend 40 hours or more mat time with Joe Hess, Moti Horenstein, Tony Lambria, Tony Blauer, Sir Peter Boatman, Jack Stern etc etc. That is quite a wealth of information to tap into.

This is some ideas from personal experience.

OP
D

Disco

Thank you for your reply. Yes I can see where alternate training outside of your primary style could/would be considered advanced training. My apology for making to general of a question. My revised question; advanced training within the style you currently study. Several people have referenced the term within the context of their posts. I am assuming that they mean within the practiced discipline.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you start beginner's level training in another system while having advanced training in another, that does not make the new training "advanced," just different. It may make your responses more unpredictable to people who have been training alongside of you in the dojo, and to their perception you may seem to have weaponry in your arsenal that is different from theirs, but it isn't necessarily "advanced." Just different.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
S

Shinzu

advanced training could also be considered as learning new techniques that are not taught to lower ranking belts. these techniques could be taught to students who have demonstrated that they are "ready for more".

OP
D

Disco

Yiliquan and Shinzu, Thank you for your insite. You both forward good viewpoints. I would imagine that the particular style being studied has to play a major role also. Again, thank you for your input.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Disco, finally somthing serious to discuss...................................

A wise man once told that having a black belt in any form of martial arts only ment one thing...that you are a serious student!

Advanced training to me is being able to do all strikes, blocks, kicks, forms, katas, takedowns ect. flawlessly in stressful scituations (when it really counts ) knowing your styles moves so well that they are a automatic reaction and take no thinking to perform with surgical acuracy, lightning speed and also be powerful. I have yet to meet a man with this type of advanced training.

I also agree that advanced training could also be building on what you already know such as finding any areas that your style may need improvement ( as no one style is perfect and has it all )
and build on that weakness buy learning a new style with what your style may lack.

Training hard builds warriors...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DAC..florida
Disco, finally somthing serious to discuss...................................

A wise man once told that having a black belt in any form of martial arts only ment one thing...that you are a serious student!

Advanced training to me is being able to do all strikes, blocks, kicks, forms, katas, takedowns ect. flawlessly in stressful scituations (when it really counts ) knowing your styles moves so well that they are a automatic reaction and take no thinking to perform with surgical acuracy, lightning speed and also be powerful. I have yet to meet a man with this type of advanced training.

I also agree that advanced training could also be building on what you already know such as finding any areas that your style may need improvement ( as no one style is perfect and has it all )
and build on that weakness buy learning a new style with what your style may lack.

Training hard builds warriors...

Your standards for advanced training is very high. Whoever teaches or taught you Krav Maga should of met those expectations. I'm not going to speak generally about JKD but within the JKD community there are those that do perform like that. I've got a new guy that just joined my group and will probably end up teaching me quite a bit. He was trained on the east coast in JKD but has attended several of Dan Inosantos seminars and from what he showed me and explains about Dans technique, I would have to think that he is one.

Also a true JKD practioner has some technique that they do perform like that, maybe with the exception of the surgical accuracy. Fighting means reacting, whether it be by your will or your opponents will you will be attacking a moving target and surgical accuracy is not difficult.