adding boxing to Kenpo

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever supplemented their Kenpo with boxing/ kickboxing? Did you see any pros/ cons
to it? If not, do you think it would be benificial for you to start?

H

headkick

at your disposal, the better off your are, IMHO. Many of the techniques you learn are the same. One thing that I like about learning more kickboxing types of defenses is that there is more emphasis on making your opponent miss. I think, there is sometimes too much emphasis placed on blocking strikes than simply making people miss. I tell students the easiest to way to not get hit is don't be there. How much does it need to miss by? 1/16 of inch away from my head is a miss. That's even better if I planned it that way. :D Kickboxing can help you learn to keep your block/parry movements smaller.

I've had the privelege of taking seminars from Benny The Jet the last few years and there so many things the man can teach me about combat that supplements what I learn in Kenpo.

Just my thoughts...

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cfr

Has anyone ever supplemented their Kenpo with boxing/ kickboxing? Did you see any pros/ cons

Our style is a combination of EPAK and kickboxing, so yes I have. It's more EPAK though, over 80%.

Some of the major differences are in the way we kick etc., we'll often kick though a target rather than snapping at it as is advocated in traditional kenpo. There are other differences to, but never having studied at a proper EPAK school it's difficult for me to highlight them.

Ian.

R

Rob_Broad

There is boxing in American Kenpo. Just look at Long Form 1 and the closing punches are nothing more than an isolated boxing drill. Ed parker studied boxing in his early years. Frank trejo has the whole story, and if you ask him about boxing he will probably tell you about his beginnings in boxing, it is a great story.

P

PhilNvegas

Originally posted by satans.barber [/

Some of the major differences are in the way we kick etc., we'll often kick though a target rather than snapping at it as is advocated in traditional kenpo. There are other differences to, but never having studied at a proper EPAK school it's difficult for me to highlight them.

Ian. [/B]

I've always been thaught to kick threw a target, whiether a snap or a thurst. What was that saying, penatraion=.............?

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhilNvegas

I've always been thaught to kick threw a target, whiether a snap or a thurst. What was that saying, penatraion=.............?

There's kicking 'through' a target as in aiming behind the point of impact, and then there's kicking through a target as in throwing a roundhouse with the intention of completeing a full circle, it's two different things.

If we were trying to inflict real damage, we'd do the latter, although you would return to a stance most times anyway. But, the execution is still different.

Ian.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by cfr

The more you know and can apply that will be effective for whatever you are doing, the Better off you are!
Take all that is good, and use it for your advantage.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cfr

Always have, even more so with TKD.

It's a tremendous asset. You'd be surprised how many people are put off balance when you put that on them.:asian:

Latest Discussions