Triangle footwork vs boxing footwork

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So my school teaches both boxing and triangle style footwork. I like both but I know there's pros and cons to each method. I mainly use triangle to cut angles and boxing to close in on the opponent. I've also heard of some schools doing away with traditional footwork and replacing it with boxing style footwork. In your opinion how do you feel about that? And what are the pros and cons of both methods in your opinion? Also which one do you prefer?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty sure boxing uses that triangle footwork.

Unleash it is something different to what I am imagining

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pretty sure boxing uses that triangle footwork.

Unleash it is something different to what I am imagining
You are right. We just call it that or "zoning footwork" when I think of boxing footwork I think of weak side forward in and out type movements. When I think of triangle I think strong side but can use weak side too cutting angles and coming in or out from sides or other angles. Alot of boxers do that too. We focus more on angles and side to side movements with the triangle more, but I've talked with a training partner who has a different background and he like the in and out style more. Footwork is footwork regardless of what we call it, we just primarily cut angles in triangle form and that's our first way. The in and out is taught too but we focus on the angles as our primary mode of movement. Alot of boxers do this too though. Footwork is footwork though. Only so many ways a human can move. I'm over thinking it really.

EskrimaFan

White Belt
Reaction score
I did some PTK in the past so I know they use the triangle as a template to practice footwork, however in De Campo 1-2-3 Original we don't have specific triangular footwork, we do move in a diagonal way sometimes, but its not practiced like in PTK.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eskrido De Alcuizar.
We incorporate triangle (boxing), judo close to mid distance and fencing/weaving outside typically. We also want the opponents feet to be in line when attacking as at that point they are typically not as well balanced.

Eskrido De Alcuizar
Buena Park, CA
World Eskrido Federation

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We also want the opponents feet to be in line when attacking as at that point they are typically not as well balanced.
There are other advantages too.

- Your opponent's back hand can't reach you.
- If you shoot in at your opponent's leading leg from this angle, you have better change to get his leading leg.
- You force your opponent to turn with you. If he doesn't, you can get into his blind side by another step.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
. I've also heard of some schools doing away with traditional footwork and replacing it with boxing style footwork
I believe it's a mistake. Footwork leads to specific techniques. Boxing Footwork is good for somethings but not for others. Instead of substituting traditional Footwork, take some time to learn it and develop it. Wrestlers develop their Footwork. They do not say that they will substitute their footwork with boxing footwork.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So my school teaches both boxing and triangle style footwork. I like both but I know there's pros and cons to each method. I mainly use triangle to cut angles and boxing to close in on the opponent. I've also heard of some schools doing away with traditional footwork and replacing it with boxing style footwork. In your opinion how do you feel about that? And what are the pros and cons of both methods in your opinion? Also which one do you prefer?
Without reading the rest of the thread:
I like both.
I think the Mobile Platform is a great way to get people moving.
I like the idea with the stationary / single / drill work to practice the 45 stepping. (* I avoid the triangle term directly as it implies all three sides are required. This confuses many totally new students. While step in this direction between 30 and 60 degree, with a target of around 45 degrees.
Also after the first belt with stances being taught, they are only used in forms. I have been asked why keep them? I keep them as when a student can demo a basic stance and use the term mobile platform the traditionalist have their nod and the modernist have theirs as well.
This way the student can continue to learn without having being told they are wrong from someone else from a different system.
45 is working the circle to get you opponent off line and to get yourself online with them. If both step and realign then no gain either side.
Linear can be easy to predict, Forward or backward. ( So can the Circle, left or right )
When all are used then it is harder to predict.

Latest Discussions