Accessing online accounts

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am working to help settle the estate of a deceased family member and have run into a practical snag. His Windows 8 computer is locked with his live account and I want to be able to retrieve any pictures he may have had before wiping his drives.

Is there any way to override the password or open a Win 8 laptop without knowing the live account password?

Thanks!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah, thanks guys. You rock. I tried using the password reset, but because it's locked with his MS Live account, and I also don't have access to the gmail account he had as his backup, they were asking for a lot of information. Granted, I am glad that they make it so hard. But at the same time, when you are trying to manage a person's estate it makes a sad and depressing task close to unbearable.

I'll work through the resources you all shared and see what happens. Thanks!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am working to help settle the estate of a deceased family member and have run into a practical snag. His Windows 8 computer is locked with his live account and I want to be able to retrieve any pictures he may have had before wiping his drives.

Is there any way to override the password or open a Win 8 laptop without knowing the live account password?

Thanks!

Were you able to get what you needed with any of the tools provided?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Working through it now. I'm starting with the tips Bob provided, but have to wait until I get the certified death certificate (which should be today or tomorrow). Because there was a fatality involved in an accident, we have had to wait several days to get the report from the medical examiner's office. Depending upon how strict google and microsoft are, I might also have to provide court paperwork to show that I'm legally the "personal representative" which requires a 40 day waiting period from the death. I've been taking care of a lot of the estate for my mom, who is the legal next of kin, and we've been able to take care of most everything. But there are a few things that require a formal determination from the court as to who exactly is the legal, personal representative of the estate.

I'll let you guys know. This is one of a few dozen "really important" things I'm trying to manage right now and I'm a bit of a mess, frankly.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about this. A good friend's 28 y.o. son was missing for over 90 days. His truck and body were recently recovered from a retention pond, and she's been stepping through some similar stuff.

I know that doesn't help you specifically, but if there's anything I can do, don't be afraid to reach out. I'm a pretty good ear. :)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks, Carol!

Quick update. I was able to figure out my brother's password and recover his pictures and documents from his laptop. Just a tip for you Catholics out there... the names of popes isn't a very secure password if people know you're a Catholic. :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Carol!

Quick update. I was able to figure out my brother's password and recover his pictures and documents from his laptop. Just a tip for you Catholics out there... the names of popes isn't a very secure password if people know you're a Catholic. :D
Also if you know someone's a Star Trek fan, 1701 is a good 1st try for their pin #'s.

Latest Discussions