? about Kenpo history for kids

Kenpokaratemom

White Belt
Reaction score
I have asked these questions before in a different thread and didn't get a response so I thought I would try again here.

I am curious as to how you teach American Kenpo history to younger students if at all? If so, is it just verbal tidbits/lessons or do you assign reading? Do you test their knowledge on occasion (q&a)? Do you ask for written reports or require note taking? Are particular facts required to be known for belt advancement? Any suggestions for reading material regarding the history?
Thank you for your time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenpokaratemom said:
I have asked these questions before in a different thread and didn't get a response so I thought I would try again here.

I am curious as to how you teach American Kenpo history to younger students if at all? If so, is it just verbal tidbits/lessons or do you assign reading? Do you test their knowledge on occasion (q&a)? Do you ask for written reports or require note taking? Are particular facts required to be known for belt advancement? Any suggestions for reading material regarding the history?
Thank you for your time.

Depends on the age in question. If its a 5yo, then no. They're going to have enough to process with the SD, kicks and strikes. Older kids..14,15, etc....yes, gradually introduce them to some history. The adults of course will get slightly more.

As for written reports. Most of the time a thesis is required for promotion to Black Belt. Its usually anything MA related, but it usually is about the history of the art.

As for books. I suggest Mr. Parkers Infinite Insights. A 5 series set of books that provides some very good information.

I hope that this was a help! :ultracool

Mike

OP
K

Kenpokaratemom

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, Gentlemen.

My son is 10 and a history buff. He is trying to combine his 2 favorite things. He went to a "Huk" Planas seminar, and now wants to prove he understands "the whys and not just the hows." He is trying to read Infinite Insights but it is a little advanced yet. I was hoping to find some other way to help him get the info he's wanting.Looking on the net just causes more confusion due to varying opinions. He is wanting to write a report and present it when he tests for purple. He found out about the thesis for black and feels he could/should be required to do something along the same lines. (If only he felt the same about math.)
Thank you again,
Robin

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenpokaratemom said:
Thank you, Gentlemen.

My son is 10 and a history buff. He is trying to combine his 2 favorite things. He went to a "Huk" Planas seminar, and now wants to prove he understands "the whys and not just the hows." He is trying to read Infinite Insights but it is a little advanced yet. I was hoping to find some other way to help him get the info he's wanting.Looking on the net just causes more confusion due to varying opinions. He is wanting to write a report and present it when he tests for purple. He found out about the thesis for black and feels he could/should be required to do something along the same lines. (If only he felt the same about math.)
Thank you again,
Robin

Hi Robin-

Wow!! It sounds like your son has an awesome attitude toward the art, which is fantastic!! I agree with the info. on the web. Yes, there is a ton of stuff out there, but as you said, opinions will certainly vary. The books are an excellent source, but there are some things that are very advanced. I suggest he sit down with his instructor and inquire about some of the history.

As far as the math goes...lol, yeah I hear ya, that was not my best class in school either.

Tell him to keep up the hard work!! :ultracool

Mike

Latest Discussions