abbreviations clarified

shirobanryunotora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
am new to this forum-have been looking at some of the older data and noticed an abbreviation IIRC or something like that-does anyone out there know what means? the data wouldnt or didnt seem to give me any clues or ideas as to what stands for-pls xplain and thanks in advance and if there are other abbreviations you think i should be aware of pls let me know that too-til the next rr

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
am new to this forum-have been looking at some of the older data and noticed an abbreviation IIRC or something like that-does anyone out there know what means? the data wouldnt or didnt seem to give me any clues or ideas as to what stands for-pls xplain and thanks in advance and if there are other abbreviations you think i should be aware of pls let me know that too-til the next rr

IIRC means "IF I Recall Correctly"

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
That internet speak, I have one that has been stumping me.
What does YMMV stand for?

Hayseed

White Belt
Reaction score
That internet speak, I have one that has been stumping me.
What does YMMV stand for?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

(sic) = Source In Content/Context?

IMHO = In My Honest/Humble? Opinion

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you ever come across something on an on-line forum that you don't understand, plug it in here and find out what it means. It has helped an old fart like me immensely! :)

http://www.internetslang.com/

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
With two teenagers, I'm pretty savvy to the acronyms used on the internet. What I get a kick out of are the acronyms that are becoming words.

My favorites so far:

WOOT. My kids say this as an exclamation of joy and pronounce it like the word "wood" but with a "t" at the end. I've heard various explanations for what it stands for, but I first saw it online in the early 90's while playing MUDs and at that time it was short for "Wow! Loot!"

LOLZ... just like this one. It's a word my son uses and it's just funny to hear a kid say LOLZ. Usually, he's being sarcastic.

ROFL... actually pronounced as a word. That's fun to say. My daughter showed me this a few years ago.

[yt]S_vNhLYW_e4[/yt]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

As you're pretty new to the internet game, and this thread is about internet conventions, I'm going to extend the topic for your benefit. I hope this helps a bit here.

Firstly, while you are new here, and there are a number of old threads that you may have something to say on, resurrecting old threads (known as "necro'ing") is typically frowned upon, and something to be kept to a minimum. In one thread, for instance, you talk about the "current conversation", when the last post was 7 years ago, and many of the posters there are no longer members.

Along the same lines, this is a discussion forum. If you have something to discuss, by all means we'd love to hear it. However posting after yourself again and again is also considered bad netiquette ('net [internet] etiquette), as it seems that you are having a conversation with yourself. This has happened a couple of times already.

Similarly, the idea is to start discussions. Your thread about "Anthony is back" reads more like an advertisement (to me), rather than a conversation starter. Something like the news of Anthony Netzer being in Sydney is rather specific to who may be interested/need that information, as the majority of members here are in the US, and are not training in the Bujinkan. A better approach may be "Hey, has anyone here trained with Anthony Netzer? I just found out he's teaching in Sydney now, which is great for the guys there! Anyone have any experiences with him?" then, by all means tell your experience (such as the filming). It often helps to think "who is interested in this, and how do I get them involved?"

When it comes to posting styles, everyone will have their own individual flair.... but as much as possible, try to keep to rules of grammar and spelling (although I have to say your spelling is certainly better than many others!). In your posts I have noticed many missing words, typically personal nouns. By that I mean you are starting sentences with "am working on this", rather than "I am working on this". You also ignore most punctuation, not using full stops, instead breaking sentences (without using capitals to begin the new ones) by seperating them with a hyphen. It does make your posts rather difficult to read.

By the same token, paragraphs are appreciated. A wall of text can be rather exhausting to read (something I am rather guilty of myself), so breaking them up into seperate chunked-down ideas is vital to get your point across. You may notice that Bob Hubbard (the guy who runs this site) edited one of your posts to give proper names capitalisation, and to put in paragraph breaks to make it easier to read.

Finally, correct placement is also vital to get the responces you are after. This thread is a prime example, really. The topic is "abreviations clarified", but it's in the Ninjutsu section, not the Frequently Asked Questions forum, or the Martial Talk Site Support forum, both of which would be ideal for this thread. Personally, I expected to see questions like "What is meant by BBT and BJK? Are they the same thing? How about GBK and JNK? What do they refer to?"

In other words, although you are interested in the Ninjutsu side of things, when starting a thread, think about what the thread is about, rather than what you train in, as the Ninjutsu section isn't the right one for this thread.

Once again, this is meant in the spirit of helpfulness, to aid you in finding your way here, and making it as pleasant as possible. That said, can a mod move the thread to a better place so Robert can get a wider audience for his question?

OP
S

shirobanryunotora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi-well where do i start? Firstly yes i am new to this forum.I have also asked Mr.Hubbard
for advice on my text layout as when i write it up i do space it out etc yet when sent, it just runs it all together.I was the one btw who asked him to do the layout as i could not get it right etc.So,am trying to correct that.Same goes for my grammar.Now as for posting data on older subjects: the subjects are new to me as such and i often have an interest or view or data relevant to discuss.Btw the correct spelling of Anthony's surname is Netzler.Your view that it sounds like an advertisement is interesting indeed when you consider that i stated i did not even know his address let alone his training times etc.I also mentioned that sydneysiders would be the ones most likely to find that info and be interested and concerned with this etc.As to posting on other forums-to tell you the truth-i didnt even realise i could do that and so appreciate you letting me know about trying to post on the appropriate site etc-will keep that in mind for the future.As for my repeat posting:is it not polite to acknowledge a reply or respond to a reply esp. if the reply adds new data or puts a different light on the topic? I have noticed many others who post data do repeat posting after such responses? Do you lecture them all in this manner? Are we not supposed to discuss?Some of the topics submitted by others imo are not very relevant to ninjutsu-do you lecture them in this manner?As to your comment about most members being from Usa-so what? This is a Ninjutsu forum on the worldwideweb so confining discussion to Usa relevant data would mean no aussie could discuss much at all? I appreciate you advice though feel some of it is not pertinent-till the next rr

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, thought I got his name right, sorry about that.

In terms of spacing it, simply hit the "enter" key twice to create a new paragraph (or at least, that's how I do it).

With the repeated posts, if there are answers, absolutely answer. However what I was refering to was more things like the "Australian Bujinkan" thread, where you posted after yourself for four posts in a row. It looks like you're talking to yourself, really. If you want to add something to a post, you have an hour after initially posting to edit it to add anything, or correct anything that is needed. Simply go to your post, and click on the "edit" button on the top right hand corner of the post banner.

My comment about MT being a USA-centric forum was more that a thread that says "wow, Anthony Netzler is back in Sydney teaching!" has relevance only to Sydney based Bujinkan , however a discussion of if anyone has trained under him is more open. That was really just more advice on how to get the most out of your threads, so it was friendly advice. There's no need to confine information or posts to USA topics only, but bear in mind who is reading your threads. You don't really want them to wonder why they bothered, do you?

Topics not very related to Ninjutsu, well, yeah, I have questioned such postings as well. One by Stealthy very recently was a good example, pretty much everyone questioned it until it was moved to a better forum. And this one has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Ninjutsu, it's simple forum etiquette and conventions.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few general notes, based on things I'm reading here.

Thread necromancy or bringing up old threads isn't encouraged, but it's not inherently bad or anything like that. Often, a new member reading through the old threads in a forum of interest finds things that they want to comment on -- and they do. They don't always notice or recognize how old the thread or post they're replying to is. Sometimes this is good, and revives an interesting discussion with good, new insights. Sometimes... they just end up reflogging a dead horse. That's how it goes... :shrug:

Text formatting... We do request and encourage people to use standard English and adhere to the conventions of English grammar within reason -- but nobody here is supposed to be the Grammar Police on the site. It helps readers follow your points if you use paragraphs and normal punctuation, but sometimes, someone has an older computer or is working primarily from smartphones or alternate devices, and can't do this as easily.

We do ask (and include in The Rules) that people make a reasonable effort to post in the right forum, so these ninjutsu forums should be stuff about ninjutsu, ninpo, and similar arts. Judo would go into the Judo/Jujistu forum, gun stuff generally belongs in the Firing Range, and so on. But there's also overlap; a post about ninja using guns could go to either the Firing Range or here. (Or even both; limited cross-posting, or repeated postings of the same post in different forums is OK.)

Moderation on this site is done as hands-off as possible. We try to handle things with the lightest touch we can, starting with general statements, hints, or nudges -- but we can escalate to something as extreme as a lifetime ban when necessary. And it's helpful to remember that the staff here are volunteers, and have lives outside this place. (Or at least pretend to!)

In the end, it's simple. Everyone wants MT to be a friendly place, with plenty of room to discuss and share our passion about the various martial arts. I hope you enjoy the place as much as we do. And, if you do like the place, Bob would really appreciate it if you'd drop a few bucks on a Supporting Membership. It's not required, but you do get some perks -- and you help keep the lights on, and Bob's belly full.