a weak woman

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a system for a thin woman? i have trained in a gym but i am sadly very weak. I have a lung disease so i have trouble doing cardio. I want to still try training in martial arts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are your goals for martial arts training? What do you hope to accomplish, or what are your reasons for training?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On top of flying crane's questions-What's around you that you can reasonably attend (price-wise, distance-wise, and schedule/time-wise)? It might be pointless to offer, say, silat, if there is no silat around you.

Also, when you say weak are you referring specifically to the cardio, or do you mean muscular weak as well? If muscle as well-do you have a medical issue there, or do you just consider yourself weak? That's one of those vague terms that can mean anything from having mild cerebral palsy, to not being able to develop the muscle to being a world-class bodybuilder, to anything in-between. And if you don't mind sharing-how severe is your lung disease/have you talked to your doctor about if you can attend cardio-intensive exercise?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing: get clearance from your doctor for this. If you have lung disease and are otherwise health-compromised, physical activity might be dangerous for you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing: get clearance from your doctor for this. If you have lung disease and are otherwise health-compromised, physical activity might be dangerous for you.
i suspect lack of physical activery is more dangerous

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a system for a thin woman? i have trained in a gym but i am sadly very weak. I have a lung disease so i have trouble doing cardio. I want to still try training in martial arts.

Please answer the questions below and many here will be better able to assist you. And that does bring up something else. Some martial arts don't do much cardio, some because it isn't part of their art, others because they just don't want to drive customers away (of course COVID-19 had changed some in-dojo participation).

Let us hear more from you.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i was given the all clear to start training. i now use a stationery bike at home only 10 mins but it´s a start. would say karate katas help me get stronger? i will leave out all the hard fighting stuff ! judo would be too hard i think.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i was given the all clear to start training. i now use a stationery bike at home only 10 mins but it´s a start. would say karate katas help me get stronger? i will leave out all the hard fighting stuff ! judo would be too hard i think.
yes very likely they would, the activerty generaly would help greatly, you could also consider doing a light strengh buildibg program at home, such as push up on a table or a kitchen work top

as a therapeutic exercise for recovering from ill health, walking takes some beating

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hey Lisa, welcome to the forum :)

That's awesome to hear, and I think martial arts will be a massive benefit to you.

Definitely have a think about what the others have asked you in this thread, specifically why you want to do martial arts.

Then have a look at what's close to you and ask if you can check out a class to watch. It's a great idea to chat with the instructor and explain anything you feel might be a concern regarding your training. Alot of instructors are very accommodating to people who have specific limitations, and will respect that you need to work at your own pace and capacity, and will help you push yourself slowly to get better.

If you're after something not too fight-heavy maybe something not like muay thai or boxing, eg there are karate schools that are less focused on fighting and more on fitness, strength, etiquette etc, and may be what you're looking for.

But have a look around and find what suits, see what lights the spark in you after watching a class!

Let us know how you go, and ask any more questions here too :)

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes very likely they would, the activerty generaly would help greatly, you could also consider doing a light strengh buildibg program at home, such as push up on a table or a kitchen work top

as a therapeutic exercise for recovering from ill health, walking takes some beating
thank you i will try walking

Hey Lisa, welcome to the forum :)

That's awesome to hear, and I think martial arts will be a massive benefit to you.

Definitely have a think about what the others have asked you in this thread, specifically why you want to do martial arts.

Then have a look at what's close to you and ask if you can check out a class to watch. It's a great idea to chat with the instructor and explain anything you feel might be a concern regarding your training. Alot of instructors are very accommodating to people who have specific limitations, and will respect that you need to work at your own pace and capacity, and will help you push yourself slowly to get better.

If you're after something not too fight-heavy maybe something not like muay thai or boxing, eg there are karate schools that are less focused on fighting and more on fitness, strength, etiquette etc, and may be what you're looking for.

But have a look around and find what suits, see what lights the spark in you after watching a class!

Let us know how you go, and ask any more questions here too :)
Thank you, you are all very kind.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, decide if you are really interested in martial arts, or just seeking an exercise activity. If the latter, then there are quicker, less expensive methods that are also likely more accessible during Covid. Things like walking, biking/stationary bike, getting a small set of weights and some guidance and doing strength training exercises at home.

Martial arts can be excellent methods of exercise, but it can be expensive over time, as you pay instructors fees, and it takes time to build up to, at least to where you can be effective on your own, when not in a class. With Covid, in-class may not be possible for a while.

But yes, practice of kata can be a good method of exercise. Look around at what is available in your area, and let us know. We might be able to give you some things to consider. I would avoid schools that expect you to compete. Look at what is close enough that you can make it to class, eliminate those that you cannot afford, and eliminate those that don’t have a class schedule that works for you. What is left, are worth considering. And again, Covid may have all of this screwed up for a while.

In the meantime, continue with things like the exercise bike, and walking.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's still some questions that you haven't answered-which is perfectly fine. You don't have to, but it will impact the advice we can give. I would second what flying crane is suggesting though-it sounds like your main motivation is strength training/getting healthier. If that's right, see if you can join a local ymca class or similar, that teaches karate or tai chi. And wherever you go, make clear your goals and ask if there are solo drills/mini-kata you can learn early to practice outside of class, as that's where you'll get most of the exercise.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a system for a thin woman?
Any system will work for someone who is thin.

i have trained in a gym but i am sadly very weak.
Any system that does a lot of conditioning exercises will work. If they do cardio, strength building exercises everyday then you'll get more than enough. Tai Chi builds strengths but it's mostly lower body and core.

I have a lung disease so i have trouble doing cardio.
Most schools are flexible with things like this. They only want students to try to do their best, where they are so they can grow from there. I've yet to train at a place where they didn't take anyone who was unfit, uninjured, or had some kind of health challenge. They understand people aren't going to go to war and fight with the skills that they have.

If you are "weak" now then you'll only get stronger regardless of what you do. I've never see anyone get weaker from doing exercises.

Tai Mantis Warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
By your posts on this matter, I assume inline posting Is your primary martial art, and you’ve dedicated much effort to posting.

LOL wut??

Wtf are you even talking about?

I’ve posted on this entire forum 10 times in 8 years.. how is posting 10 comments over an 8 year period equivalent to dedicating “much effort” in your delusional world view?

You need to take a break from creating your own “aikido” and enrol in a tutorial for basic math.

What kind of “professional development coach” are you, an online “moderator” coming into a thread just to belittle other posters ..

This must be how aikido “teachers” make themselves feel better these days ..

Last edited:
OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As someone with 10,000 posts in only 3 years, you’re a obviously an expert in this area.
wow 10, 000 posts he must live online. Maybe he lives alone & internet is his only contact to people. I do not use any social media myself like facebook or twitter. it´s all too much these days !

Tai Mantis Warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lisa, I apologize for the other posters in this thread (including a forum moderator!) for almost derailing your question, but my suggestion would be to find a good jiujitsu, hapkido or krav maga school in your area, and simply ask to be left out of the more intense cardio/conditioning drills.. maybe go out and do some stretching or partner/technique training during that time.

Ask to focus on women’s self defense and let them know about your condition and aerobic limits.

Another suggestion would be to seek out a more senior instructor for one on one personal training - it’s more expensive but it may be more productive.

If you have any questions on styles or specific schools just come back here and ask for our opinions ..

Good luck and let us know how your search goes!

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lisa, I apologize for the other posters in this thread (including a forum moderator!) for almost derailing your question, but my suggestion would be to find a good jiujitsu, hapkido or krav maga school in your area, and simply ask to be left out of the more intense cardio/conditioning drills.. maybe go out and do some stretching or partner/technique training during that time.

Ask to focus on women’s self defense and let them know about your condition and aerobic limits.

Another suggestion would be to seek out a more senior instructor for one on one personal training - it’s more expensive but it may be more productive.

If you have any questions on styles or specific schools just come back here and ask for our opinions ..

Good luck and let us know how your search goes!
i know there is Krav maga & wing chun near me so i will have a look at that. I think the Krav maga is more self defence orientated. i know a guy who is a black belt in karate not sure what school or style but he´s a bit creepy was always trying to get too close if you know what i mean. he has bad breath too & has a beer gut ! i think there is a female teacher in the krav maga group might be better!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL wut??

Wtf are you even talking about?

I’ve posted on this entire forum 10 times in 8 years.. how is posting 10 comments over an 8 year period equivalent to dedicating “much effort” in your delusional world view?

You need to take a break from creating your own “aikido” and enrol in a tutorial for basic math.

What kind of “professional development coach” are you, an online “moderator” coming into a thread just to belittle other posters ..

This must be how aikido “teachers” make themselves feel better these days ..
You're funny. :D

Latest Discussions