A sad state of affairs...

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here understands a word you're talking about buddy and actually your the one that bought up Mma by saying how bad it is

Oh, the sad state of affairs. And Buddy? How effective of you.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's Dojo Americana, they've solved the MMA over TMA issue and over BBJ too. MMA schools always have an answer. Dojo American, booyah!

I'll keep it short and provide the correct answer to the BJJ Blue Belt's dilemma (like I always too!). The BJJ Blue Belt doesn't know what to do. Answer.

No Steve, you are dead wrong. The Dojo Americana instructor told you straight away what's wrong. A BJJ practitioner is just not going to have any success unless that practitioner can do take downs.

So Steve, you missed the solution, Dojo Americana spelled it right out. Oh, wrestling has the take downs you need to practice those. And MMA too. Yes, the answer for BBJ faultiness is wrestling & MMA, doing that.

Tony, the first paragraph I didn't quote was priceless. BJJ schools too grabby in their practice, just like karate schools too punchy in their practice. Huh, sad state of affairs all over.

But Tony, this is not at all what those magnificent Gracie's said in their original, MMA competitor / striker smashing videos. They said point blank that the striker CANNOT stop the grappler's advance & gets taken down, PERIOD. How we have grown.

Hey, I do want to step up an support your lead in sentence. Makes all the sense in the world. Yet really Tony, the BJJ guys in the Dojo American we doing that same play acting fighting that MMA and such complains about in TMA videos.

Take a look at the boxer, who snaps out some hard jabs. Ouch. Isn't he kinda wide open for a a boxer straight punch or even maybe a linear up the middle karate punch? Dojo Americana proclaims he's a skilled boxer, so I guess he's perfectly safe, with his head leaning forward, chin out hands down, tossing wide punches. I forgot to add in those big padded boxing gloves, you know the 'same' we see in MMA and karate, afford high-level protection.

OHhhh, the tough guy challenge match approach. Like the assistant head instructor @ the dojo. He wanted to be No. 1 too, so picked on those he profiled as weaker to make it so.

I'm not superior like you, so no matter what I did (or have accomplished), no doubt it would come up short. And yes, MMA striking is bad. Except for yours, of course. Tez is ok, though.

EDIT: Excuse while I complete my viewing of the OP video.

tenor.gif

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank god I'm not the only one who didn't understand I was worried my head was having issues (not even joking. I'm diabetic and that causes the mind to not work properly at times)

Sorry to hear about your diabetes.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
AAAAWWWWHHH come on. The earlier Gracie vids were just as bogus as Dojo Americana. Royce Gracie again & again.

If the earlier Gracie vids were bogus, how did Royce win the first UFC, and how did their fighting system become the basis of modern MMA?

Here's a WMMA vid of a wrestling (sorry BJJ) of is it BJJ [help me out grappler's] take down off a lazy round kick to the waist.

The least you could do is give us the times where this takedown actually took place. No one is going to sit through a 10 minute video to see a 3 second takedown attempt.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gawd, these were easy.

If the earlier Gracie vids were bogus, how did Royce win the first UFC, and how did their fighting system become the basis of modern MMA?

Promotion.

The least you could do is give us the times where this take down actually took place. No one is going to sit through a 10 minute video to see a 3 second take down attempt.

OMGawd, how could I??? It's at the very beginning of the fight. The Gracie's did a great service by bringing the takedown threat to us, making it front & content. I don't think I was at my 1st TMA school more than 5 or 6 weeks, however, when I asked the head instructor about this. I didn't need the Gracie's to tell me 'cause (1) I thought of it on my own; (2) the school like most all TMA schools taught a self defense technical segment.

The even better moral is that will all this "modern, evolved, super-blended" WMMA we have today, the MMA striker gets taken down very near the fights' outset. How apropos.... Super MMA training we have. Give Dojo Americana, the fresh face a call, they'll work it out for ya!

Dojo Americana's just trying to help out too, and let the public they are in the MMA training business.

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, I believe its the training focus in modern schools. Coming out of a Relson Gracie affiliate, I know that our fundamentals program was loaded with takedowns and clench fighting. I saw none of that in the video above.

Question for ya. Doesn't BJJ have take down's? So isn't the OP vid one-sided?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you read this guys posts in the voice of Master Ken it all makes way more sense.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you read this guys posts in the voice of Master Ken it all makes way more sense.
Yep, voice of reason arrives.

Still no direct discussion. Master Ken!

EDIT: Next it''l be Barbie Doll.:eek:

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gawd, these were easy.

Promotion.

So MMA has been promoting Bjj for 25 years? For what purpose?

OMGawd, how could I??? It's at the very beginning of the fight. The Gracie's did a great service by bringing the takedown threat to us, making it front & content. I don't think I was at my 1st TMA school more than 5 or 6 weeks, however, when I asked the head instructor about this. I didn't need the Gracie's to tell me 'cause (1) I thought of it on my own; (2) the school like most all TMA schools taught a self defense technical segment.

The even better moral is that will all this "modern, evolved, super-blended" WMMA we have today, the MMA striker gets taken down very near the fights' outset. How apropos.... Super MMA training we have. Give Dojo Americana, the fresh face a call, they'll work it out for ya!

Dojo Americana's just trying to help out too, and let the public they are in the MMA training business.

tenor.gif

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh, we've seen professional matches where pure striking went up against pure grappling, and the latter did just fine.

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. I'm not talking about the technical dynamic of grappling vs striking. I'm referring to the psychological ability of overcoming the fear of getting hit, which applies to both grapplers and strikers. Knowing the techniques isn't enough, the mind must be able to commit when faced with danger.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If A concentrates 100% in defense, It's very difficult for B's punch to land on A's head.

How many chances that Muhammad Ali can obtain a successful 'clinch" during his rope-a-dope strategy? He only needs 1 successful clinch, take his opponent down, and end that stand up game.

Muhammad Ali was mentally conditioned to fight the top heavyweights of his era(Foreman, Frazier, Liston, Patterson, etc). A striker of his caliber would be able to position himself to pull off grappling techniques.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so confused by the last two pages in here. I want to provide 'direct discussion', but I have no idea what's being argued, or if I agree/disagree with it

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. I'm not talking about the technical dynamic of grappling vs striking. I'm referring to the psychological ability of overcoming the fear of getting hit, which applies to both grapplers and strikers. Knowing the techniques isn't enough, the mind must be able to commit when faced with danger.

The difference is that Gjj was traditionally taught how to deal with strikers and grapplers, which led to modern MMA grappling which ALSO teaches how to deal with strikers and grapplers. The problem in traditional striking MAs is that they don't teach you how to deal with grapplers (much less modern grappling) at all.

I do believe that even modern exponents of traditional striking arts still believe that you can just kick a grappler in the face when they're coming in for the takedown, or that their main defense against a grappler is to "never get taken down in the first place".

Famous last words. ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It would, wouldn't it? Usually when I read something I just read it. But sometimes I hear it in a particular voice, like how you mentioned Master Ken. But with this one I only hear the voice of Chandler Bing, a character on the old Friends TV show.

And I always liked Chandler Bing, so it's rather enjoyable.

I mean no offense by any of this, it's just the way I hear it in my foolish head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The difference is that Gjj was traditionally taught how to deal with strikers and grapplers, which led to modern MMA grappling which ALSO teaches how to deal with strikers and grapplers. The problem in traditional striking MAs is that they don't teach you how to deal with grapplers (much less modern grappling) at all.

I do believe that even modern exponents of traditional striking arts still believe that you can just kick a grappler in the face when they're coming in for the takedown, or that their main defense against a grappler is to "never get taken down in the first place".

Famous last words. ;)

I think grappling is just fundamentally more cumulative or progressive. If I punch a guy and we break off. It takes a while for that to be my advantage.

If I grapple I get the advantage right away. So if you score two punches but I get underhooks. I am winning.

But striking is the short cut. So if I had to fight for underhooks. I could just cheat and punch you in the head rather than fart around grappling for them.

I think it is more about understanding the nature of striking and grappling rather than them really being competing forces.

In that very first video. The striker is using punching as a grappling tool. He is not trying to lay anyone out. He is just frustrating and forcing mistakes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it is more about understanding the nature of striking and grappling rather than them really being competing forces.
Since it's very difficult (if not impossible) to punch to the ground when you stand on your feet, trying to use striking to deal with grappling is not always possible.

In that very first video. The striker is using punching as a grappling tool. He is not trying to lay anyone out. He is just frustrating and forcing mistakes.
If a wrestler uses stiff arms and rotate both arms in circles in front of him (without striking intend), it will confuse the striker big time. But it will give the wrestler a good chance to obtain the clinch that he is looking for.