A Martial Arts Spectrum?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Quite a while ago I came across something called the Political Compass, and I just recently began to wonder; could you apply the same idea to martial arts? I think something like it could help people who are new to the martial arts choose an art that fits them very easily and quickly. I'd imagine it as the X axis going from Boxing on the left and Grappling on the right, and the Y axis as going from Soft (blending) on the bottom to Hard (resisting) on the top. People could then take a quiz on what fighting principles suit them to get a position on the chart and an art that suits them.

You'd have an art like Kyokushin Karate in the top left corner, Wing Chun on the bottom left, etc. Something like this (ignore the axis labels):

crowdgraphpng.php

(This chart is probably incredibly inaccurate, I was in a rush when I put this together)

Thoughts?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd move BJJ up closer to contemporary wrestling and further away from aikido (nothing against Aikido :)).

I'd add Judo in that area, as well, the main difference between judo, BJJ and wrestling (for the purposes of "resisting vs blending" and "grappling vs striking" ) is formality. Judo is more formal than BJJ, which is more formal than wrestling. training philosophy-wise, drilling, randori and competition are fundamental to all three.

I'm also not quite sure I understand the term "blending." That's not one I'm familiar with. Is it the opposite of "resisting?"

Neat idea.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some quizzes like that http://www.gotoquiz.com/which_martial_art_is_right_for_you

Or maybe a flowchart?

martial-art-flow-chart.jpg

Funny. If I answer honestly, my path leads me to judo, which WAS the first style I studied, but the school was more into martial SPORT. I don't understand how answering "no" to the first question ("do you want to learn how to fight") takes you toward wing chun. And what is up with that "swallow a broomstick" question?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. If I answer honestly, my path leads me to judo, which WAS the first style I studied, but the school was more into martial SPORT. I don't understand how answering "no" to the first question ("do you want to learn how to fight") takes you toward wing chun. And what is up with that "swallow a broomstick" question?

For the same reason Ashida Kim is shown on there. It's a joke....

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's satire.

Understood but, if someone decided to read it as if it WERE serious, I don't think they deserve to be mocked over it. Some people (not you) seem to have never heard of the phrase "to each their own." If I decide to look at the chart as if it were serious and not satire, I don't see how that should ruin someone else's day.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
My day wasn't ruined, I was just pointing it out to clear up any confusion. My apologies if anyone took it the wrong way, no ill intentions were had :ubercool:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
wingchun100, anytime something is taken other than intended, it's going to cause some misunderstanding. But, i think you're overreacting a little, here. Pointing out that a satirical flow chart is intended to be a joke isn't mocking you.

Besides, marnetmar, I want to further discuss why BJJ is down near Aikido on your chart. We're not a bunch of damned hippies. ;)

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
wingchun100, anytime something is taken other than intended, it's going to cause some misunderstanding. But, i think you're overreacting a little, here. Pointing out that a satirical flow chart is intended to be a joke isn't mocking you.

Besides, marnetmar, I want to further discuss why BJJ is down near Aikido on your chart. We're not a bunch of damned hippies. ;)

I know, hehe. It just seems to me like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu places more emphasis on using your opponent's strength against them rather than using strength against strength though, is this incorrect? I mean, if that wasn't the case it seems to me like a smaller guy would have no chance against a bigger guy in any situation.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
My day wasn't ruined, I was just pointing it out to clear up any confusion. My apologies if anyone took it the wrong way, no ill intentions were had :ubercool:

No, I'm not saying you...that's why I put "not you" in parentheses.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know, hehe. It just seems to me like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu places more emphasis on using your opponent's strength against them rather than using strength against strength though, is this incorrect? I mean, if that wasn't the case it seems to me like a smaller guy would have no chance against a bigger guy in any situation.
All grappling is like that. The closest I can think of to strength on strength would be catch wrestling. To be clear, catch wrestling is also very much about leverage, position and proper technique. However, the best description of catch wrestling I ever heard is that, if someone wants to voluntarily be on the bottom, make them pay for it with pain. Guard is considered neutral in BJJ and really, if anything, an advantage to the bottom guy. Philosophically, BJJ tends to encourage flow and strategy. Pain compliance techniques are considered "cheap" submissions. Catch wrestling is about making everything you do hurt the other guy, even if it's not a "submission" technique.

All of that said, however, every grappling style is ultimately about leverage and technique over size and strength.

Latest Discussions