A knife would be useful...

Invisibleflash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Born in L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
I keep my tactical folder in my pocket most of the time. In NYC can't have any part of knife show, also knife can't be opened with 1 hand. So I go with neck carry. Neck carry would be better for this job I think.

choke-hold-photo-mr.jpg

What do you advise if no knife? Kubaton also is illegal in NYC. Maybe a tactical light used as a kubaton, but I think you don't have enuf time to fool around.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep my tactical folder in my pocket most of the time. In NYC can't have any part of knife show, also knife can't be opened with 1 hand. So I go with neck carry. Neck carry would be better for this job I think.

View attachment 22392
What do you advise if no knife? Kubaton also is illegal in NYC. Maybe a tactical light used as a kubaton, but I think you don't have enuf time to fool around.
I think unless it's already in your hand at that point, it's not much help. The best strategy is decent ground skills to stop it from getting to that point.

D

Deleted member 39746

nah, your neck knife would be locked in a position you couldn't move it. So unless its exactly in the right position when you get dragged down to the floor and put in a rear naked choke its probably not going to be of much use and then you can just get neck cranked and pretty much killed pretty easily from that choke anyway.

And not getting in that situation would be the most helpful advice. I think your pretty much done or just buying time if you are in a rear naked choke.

Edit: a knife and torch can be useful in the events leading up to that situation but not much in the cited situation though.

D

Deleted member 39746

I'm old and not going to do much as a grappler. That is why I prefer weapons. I guess as soon as you hit the ground you gotta get knife out then. How long do you have in the choke before light out?

I think 3 seconds, thats the shortest choke/strangle you get. and its more complex than that, if the person controls your arm your weapon is useless, there is a art to fighting with weapons in all situations.

you need to learn to grapple to grapple with a weapon well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm old and not going to do much as a grappler. That is why I prefer weapons. I guess as soon as you hit the ground you gotta get knife out then. How long do you have in the choke before lights out?
Depending who you ask, up to about 6 seconds if it's correctly applied. If you can influence it some (with some grappling knowledge) you might turn it into a partial choke, which takes longer, at least in theory.

The reality is that there are some positions you simply cannot expect to recover from, unless you have an overwhelming skill advantage and they make a key mistake.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is a neck carry? And if the guy gets you into a choke hold like in the picture, why would he have not discovered (and probably taken) your knife if it is somewhere in the vicinity of your neck?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

View attachment 22392

The word 'tactical' gives me a rash. Ugh.

Carrying knives is serious business. Unless you're an expert, and damned few are (I've met a couple from MT in real life who are), you'd best avoid carrying the means of your own demise on you. I'm not, so I don't.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is a neck carry? And if the guy gets you into a choke hold like in the picture, why would he have not discovered (and probably taken) your knife if it is somewhere in the vicinity of your neck?

I'm guessing a sheath knife hanging from a chain around your neck.

I got one once and quickly realized it's a bad idea. Basically a knife that is in perfect position to be pushed into your chest as you unsheath it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The word 'tactical' gives me a rash

I prefer "Tacticool"

I just ordered new Tacticool backpacks for my unit. funny...if I had requested regular backpacks the department would probably have said no....but since they are tacticool....well that is a whole different thing...lol

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Neck carry is having a sheath on a cord or a chain hanging around your neck. Odds are, someone putting you in a chokehold hold wouldn't discover it. However, as it is a weight at the end of a cord, it does swing freely under your shirt. It is considered an undercover, or last ditch weapon. But the idea of searching around under my shirt for a weapon while someone is attacking me has no appeal to me. When I carry a weapon, I want its position to be consistent, so I can practice my draw smoothly.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

View attachment 22392
Not enough time to use a blunt instrument, but enough time to access, and open a knife that requires both hands to open? Interesting.

D

Deleted member 39746

it does swing freely under your shirt.
Wearing it under your top sounds uncomfortable as hell, its probbly one of the to avoid ways to conceal carry a knife for the most part. Kind of like the story for inside the waitband pistol carrying, where you would attach the pistol to your belt via string or its holster and drop it down your trouser leg to make it harder to see. Basically its the knife equal of the "i don't need it right now" type of carry.

Not enough time to use a blunt instrument, but enough time to access, and open a knife that requires both hands to open? Interesting.

Semi agree, some you can buy only need one hand to open, or you can alter them to make them open when you draw them, i think you can do that with some spydocos, or only seen it for them, you basically put a zip tie on it and trim it and then if you pull it out the tie will catch on your pocket and open your knife as you draw it.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
also knife can't be opened with 1 hand.

Semi agree, some you can buy only need one hand to open, or you can alter them to make them open when you draw them, i think you can do that with some spydocos, or only seen it for them, you basically put a zip tie on it and trim it and then if you pull it out the tie will catch on your pocket and open your knife as you draw it.
OP specifically states he cant have a one hand opening knife. Having tried the "Ghetto wave" with zip ties, I wouldn't depend on it, and it is very hard to explain that you have a knife for cutting fruit and opening boxes when you have modified it that way. Get a waved knife if you can, if it's legal where you are.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm guessing a sheath knife hanging from a chain around your neck.

I got one once and quickly realized it's a bad idea. Basically a knife that is in perfect position to be pushed into your chest as you unsheath it.

I had that very discussion once with a buddy of mine. His counter was "Oh, as opposed to yours in your front pocket that's about two inches away from your junk".

Yeah, he won that discussion.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kind of like the story for inside the waitband pistol carrying, where you would attach the pistol to your belt via string or its holster and drop it down your trouser leg to make it harder to see
Are you referring to the OSS string holster?

D

Deleted member 39746

Are you referring to the OSS string holster?

Not that i know of. I meant a literal string attached to the belt so you can either let the pistol ride across your leg or something, i don't know how historically accurate the example is.

Also thats a interesting thing to look into anyway, didnt know you could make a holster out of string.

Latest Discussions